Amateur Photography Thread

Husky

Hints, Tips, opinions, attempts, example, links, equipment, pictures of your wife.

I've had my Sony a290 for about 6 months still have the kit lens which is (from memory) 18-55, I'm trying to decide on what my next lens will be and it is a nightmare! I think I want to get a 180deg fish eye lens for some unique shots and 360deg virtual tours, i dont really fancy a zoom lens as i dont do any photography that will need it but I think a macro lens could be entertaining. Any ideas what I'm looking at, probably want to spend 200-250.

These are some shots I took the other day which I think came out well. Still learning!

DSC02914.jpg

DSC02944.jpg

DSC02957.jpg

DSC02895.jpg

then closer

DSC02897.jpg

this one is the same picture as above but cropped down, proof that lots of MP makes a difference ;)

bee.jpg

My wife's cousin runs courses on photography.

I keep meaning to go to one but I am always either away with work out out of the country!

He does them specific to things you are interested in.

Recently he has been doing Birds of Prey. He hires a load of cool birds of prey and you and 19 other bods go along and get tuition, tips and tricks using your own camera on how best to take the best images.

You start on the owls (slowest to fly and easiest to shoot) then move onto the falcons and eagles! B)

Top bloke, GREAT photographer. (Based in the West Midlands)

Check out his images of "Raptors" on his website.

http://www.sublime-images.co.uk/gallery_294176.html

He also runs portrait, "big cats" and landscape trips.

Let me know if you are interested and I can give you his details.

I WILL be going on the next BoP trip!!!

Got a few from a trip down to London and where I used to live on Liverpool a while ago, not had a chance in absolutely ages to go out with my camera!

Crosby Beach

3111061466_270156dc58_b.jpg

3110327589_d3c84479f6_b.jpg

Various from London

3492724424_48d4a0f312_z.jpg?zz=1

3493051127_a9761d75e2_z.jpg?zz=1

London Zoo

3492725646_44e535d1be_z.jpg?zz=1

3491908045_618538bb73_z.jpg?zz=1

3493050063_013a0d4564_z.jpg?zz=1

3493868556_65d23e7917_z.jpg?zz=1

3493868682_c98aa35fba_z.jpg?zz=1

I was wondering if you could have got the Zed in front of the Love Hurts scrawl! Good thread idea though!

I still use my old Canon DSLR, had it about 8 years now, 8mp and is brilliant - invested in a decent 18-85mm Canon branded lens for it amazing how much difference a proper lens makes compared to the cheaper unbranded ones. Also have 60mm macro lens, and a Tamron 300mm zoom lens. Various filters etc.

Anyway a few bits and pieces I have had a go at...

Lived in Paris for a couple of years, got up at 4am to cycle to the Trocadero to photograph the tower at dawn, actually got involved in a terrorist swoop enroute (another story) but made it in time to have the whole of Paris to myself...

ParisMorningSMALL.jpg

When living in Japan, decided to have a go at climbing Fuji, there are a few huts on the way up with guys living in them who have no concept of the fear of heights...

AGuideTakesInTheView.jpg

Do love photographing Britain though, you find the weirdest of places like this road name

DarkLaneSMALL.jpg

Or just famous places!

LondonEyeSmall.jpg

My wife's cousin runs courses on photography.

I keep meaning to go to one but I am always either away with work out out of the country!

He does them specific to things you are interested in.

Recently he has been doing Birds of Prey. He hires a load of cool birds of prey and you and 19 other bods go along and get tuition, tips and tricks using your own camera on how best to take the best images.

You start on the owls (slowest to fly and easiest to shoot) then move onto the falcons and eagles! B)

Top bloke, GREAT photographer. (Based in the West Midlands)

Check out his images of "Raptors" on his website.

http://www.sublime-images.co.uk/gallery_294176.html

He also runs portrait, "big cats" and landscape trips.

Let me know if you are interested and I can give you his details.

I WILL be going on the next BoP trip!!!

Really interested, need to scrape a few pennies together for it.

PS: "Sarah1" is hot :lol:

Love this:

LondonEyeSmall.jpg

and this

3110327589_d3c84479f6_b.jpg

It isn't as pricey as you think....

Oh and I am friends with Phil on Facebook, all his "models" are friends with him and he posts their photo's on his page.... :dummy:

It isn't as pricey as you think....

Need to buy another lens first :lol:

Oh and I am friends with Phil on Facebook, all his "models" are friends with him and he posts their photo's on his page.... :dummy:

Win

Not sure whether it was a sign of things to come but my trusty SLR is the Canon 350D! Can I claim to own two 350s now? :lol:

Hints and tips...hmmm...don't buy an SLR and use the Auto mode ;)

Filters make all the difference, always have a polarizing filter ready to ensure I capture good outdoor photos. Neutral Density filters are good fun for taking shots of stuff on the move such as track days etc.

Best thing I can advise is go get yourself a relatively cheap handbook on photography, doesn't have to be encyclopedic, just short summaries of different techniques, most people just need that intro to get started and can kick on themselves through trial and error.

Oh and I love my macro lens...

IMG_4618.jpg

Hints and tips...hmmm...don't buy an SLR and use the Auto mode ;)

I avoid the auto mode as much as possible but there are some situations where a quick snap is needed and I can't set the camera up in time :lol:

Filters are a big mystery to me, I know they exist and the principle but no idea of the different ones. I actually have one on the camera right now to protect the lens, says: "UV 0-55mm" on it. :shrug:

I will try and find a good book or a phone app with the basics in.

:thumbs: was looking at getting a new lense for my camera too (Nikon D3000) comes with the normal 18-55 which is fine for some indoor action and outside taking some non-action photos. Looking for a zoom lense that is fast enough to take action photos of car's and bike's racing around on track. Read up a bit on the all camera stuff and found the lense that would suit my needs (zoom to 300mm and with F/2.8 = 5.5k :scare: ) Currently looking at a tamron zoom lense that might just might be enough for me, really also need to use it more. Got it to take photos of the little man growing up but mostly the phone is handier to just grab and snap with... Have some friends that are professional photographers but sometime It's painful to ask them (if you know what I mean)

This is the one I'll probably go for:

http://www.tamron.com/en/photolens/di_I ... /b008.html

They got pretty cool wide lenses!

http://www.tamron.com/en/photolens/

*if you want a macro one just get one that doesn't zoom at all and you'll generally get class quality ones. Not sure about your camera but my one can take most lenses with an adapter.

:thumbs:

If anyone know that my objective won't be good enough please let me know before I go wasting monies :D

I got a Tamron 100-300mm zoom, takes a good picture but auto focus is slower than the equivalent Canon ones so you need to be pretty nifty with the manual focus.

I bought a Canon 60mm macro fixed lens, probably the best one I have - macro function on the Canon 25-85mm I have is ok but not great.

If anyones travelling to Japan put some money aside for lenses, they retail at about a third the price as they are here.

:thumbs: was looking at getting a new lense for my camera too (Nikon D3000)

I just bought Carla that camera for her birthday! Shes busy snapping everything at the moment!

It's a good camera like the housing and very light. Think they came out with a 3100 just after I got mine though, was it not that one you got?

While on subject and typing in this thread, anyone bother shooting in raw format?