Amateur Photography Thread

Husky

Thanks guys :)

The Nex is serving you well, great photos...:)

Yeah, really pleased with it :) The pics never need any processing in photoshop, the camera has some good modes, the first two were using the sunset scene, and the 2nd two were just on full Auto mode, with a bit of manual focussing :)

Paris - September 2011

Panorama from Montparnasse Tower. 7 shots in portrait stitched together in CS3. Final image (which I've printed and framed) is 6 feet by 1.5 feet.... :lol:

Paris725-731%252520Version%2525201.jpg

Bubbles outside Hotel de Ville. Created an additional layer in CS3, made it B&W and then deleted the part of the layer where the bubble is so the original colour comes through and the background stays B&W.

_DSC0420.jpg

View from hotel balcony. 4 second exposure. No PP.

_DSC9422_01.JPG

Jardin du Luxembourg

_DSC9589.jpg

Just friends...... ;)

_DSC9607.JPG

Tour Eifel - distorted by 10mm Sigma

_DSC9655.JPG

Stalking some newly-weds. The injunction finishes soon........ :blush:

_DSC0236.JPG

Tripod. 2s f18

_DSC0148.JPG

Awesome shots Cap'n :thumbs:

The bubble is brilliant : :)

Pleased with the bubble. Try focusing on a transparent object travelling at about 7 mph with the aperture at 2.8....... :wacko:

Took me 40 shots or more to get the one above.

Typical failure (auto focus went through the bubble on to building)

_DSC0415.jpg?gl=GB

Original of above if you're interested.

_DSC0420.jpg?gl=GB

Sorry, rude of me. Your pics are top notch as well. Looked on your FlickR site and they really are excellent.

One thing. A lot of them have heavy vignetting. Have you added this or is this being caused by your lens?

Sorry, rude of me. Your pics are top notch as well. Looked on your FlickR site and they really are excellent.

One thing. A lot of them have heavy vignetting. Have you added this or is this being caused by your lens?

I added it, i know i do it too much, i just can't help myself :lol: I like moody looking pictures :D

Still not quite got my head around how you managed to desaturate the buildings inside the bubble... :wacko::D

I added it, i know i do it too much, i just can't help myself :lol: I like moody looking pictures :D

Still not quite got my head around how you managed to desaturate the buildings inside the bubble... :wacko::D

I didn't. It's just lucky that the building in the original is quite monochrome so it just looks desaturated. If you look at the sky in the top left of the bubble, it's blue, not B&W. There's a few ways of doing this. My route is:

1 - Open original image and create a copy. Close original image to preserve.

2 - Go to: Layer, New Adjustment Layer, Black and White

3 - Select the Black and White Adjustment Layer in Layers

4 - Select the Brush Tool

5 - Set Foreground Colour to black

6 - Paint inside the bubble.

7 - Flatten image to merge the Layers.

8 - Adjust Levels and Sharpen etc.

9 - Crop

10 - Save as tiff or jpg

Simples. Here's one in progress (not finished the flowers)

_DSC9630%252520copy.jpg?gl=GB

Looking through the pics on this thread - just wow!

Which has got me wondering if any of you 'pros' out there might be up for some picture taking during the Wales weekend - 19/20 May. (see my sig for details).

Really looking for some shots of ZEDs on the drives as well as static ones so if you are not taking part maybe you can join us during the weekend?

If you care to pm me if you think you can help that would be great, and we can take your 'participation' on the event from there ;)

Looking through the pics on this thread - just wow!

Which has got me wondering if any of you 'pros' out there might be up for some picture taking during the Wales weekend - 19/20 May. (see my sig for details).

Really looking for some shots of ZEDs on the drives as well as static ones so if you are not taking part maybe you can join us during the weekend?

If you care to pm me if you think you can help that would be great, and we can take your 'participation' on the event from there ;)

I hope people use their talents through out the year on their Zed's B) ...... apparently I have another calendar to do :blush: .... :lol:

Have kept an eye on this thread as I have been putting off getting a new camera and moving on from my point and click which recently died. Looking at Manphibians pics persuaded me from looking at Nikon 3100 dslr etc to buying the Sony Nex-5N. Thought I would take the plunge with the South East meet looming up :dry::thumbs:

Have kept an eye on this thread as I have been putting off getting a new camera and moving on from my point and click which recently died. Looking at Manphibians pics persuaded me from looking at Nikon 3100 dslr etc to buying the Sony Nex-5N. Thought I would take the plunge with the South East meet looming up :dry::thumbs:

You won't regret it :thumbs:

Some of the photos on here are amazing!!! How on earth do you get them so crisp! I have a Canon 550D my shots don't ever look as good as the ones in this thread :wacko:

The 550D has a better sensor than my 450D so you should be able to get some fab shots...but remember for every "amazing" looking photo someone posts theres probably 10 rubbish versions of the same shot that no one else will ever see apart from the photographer...I know this is true for me, to get the shot below I took about 20 shots all with various settings and only 3 came out as any good!!

img9093t.jpg

There is no secrets to taking photos, just lots of practice/expermenting with the settings and sometimes you just get lucky :thumbs:

The shot below was a random snap taken by a friend who just borrowed my camera to have a play, never held a DSLR and knew nothing about the theory of composition etc, everything was set to auto, he came back with alot of bland shots, some out of focus ones, but also some fab ones...moral of the story if you take enough photos some are bound to turn out well :lol:

img7260s.jpg

Some of the photos on here are amazing!!! How on earth do you get them so crisp! I have a Canon 550D my shots don't ever look as good as the ones in this thread :wacko:

The 550D has a better sensor than my 450D so you should be able to get some fab shots...but remember for every "amazing" looking photo someone posts theres probably 10 rubbish versions of the same shot that no one else will ever see apart from the photographer...I know this is true for me, to get the shot below I took about 20 shots all with various settings and only 3 came out as any good!!

img9093t.jpg

There is no secrets to taking photos, just lots of practice/expermenting with the settings and sometimes you just get lucky :thumbs:

The shot below was a random snap taken by a friend who just borrowed my camera to have a play, never held a DSLR and knew nothing about the theory of composition etc, everything was set to auto, he came back with alot of bland shots, some out of focus ones, but also some fab ones...moral of the story if you take enough photos some are bound to turn out well :lol:

img7260s.jpg

+1

I keep probably less then 50% of the photos I take in any given day and then I probably would only "show" 10% of these to friends/family and then I would estimate that from what I've got left I would be happy to print/frame/publish maybe 25% of the 10%.

I took 200 photos of the bubbles above and am happy with 10 or so and have printed 1.

Nice pic of the moon, my next question is how do you take a good shot of the moon? I have tried this on many occasions but it just shows up as a bright dot!

Are you sure your not confusing it with the sun :ban: ...................sorry :blush:

:lol:

Nice pic of the moon, my next question is how do you take a good shot of the moon? I have tried this on many occasions but it just shows up as a bright dot!

Are you sure your not confusing it with the sun :ban: ...................sorry :blush:

:lol:

:lol: now that's where I'm going wrong, I'll get my coat! :lol:

Well not a good experience/start of ownership of the Sony Nex-5N - I simply could not take pictures or record video and every time I turned on the camera I had to re-do the time and date.... Tried everything the manual said and ventured onto the problem page and went through all the steps etc and still the same problem. Anyway I was preparing myself to take the camera back to the shop this morning until I finally stumbled across this on google. someone describing the exact same problem http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read. ... tures&qf=m Cut along story short I hooked the camera upto the pc and instantly recognised the device, unplugged the camera from the PC and tried to take a picture and hey presto it works! :bang::bang::bang:

Anyone else have this same issue with the NEX when tyou purchased yours?

Apart from the initial frustrations the camera I think is going to do me proud, just need lots of practice :thumbs:

Nextest1.jpg