Amateur Photography Thread

Husky

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got a new lens for the NEX-5 today, thought i'd share as i think a couple of other people have these cameras..

Really interesting little thing it is...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SLR-Magic-35mm- ... B0052WQC6M

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2010/11/1 ... ony-nex-5/

Fits straight on the camera, It's much smaller than the kit lens, makes the whole thing even more portable and gives an awesomely narrow depth of field, to get some nice interesting creative shots :)

Just getting my head around using it, so these first shots aren't amazing, but these are straight from the camera (except re-size)

1169.jpg

1186.jpg

1187.jpg

1214.jpg

1232.jpg

Great little lens for the money, and i believe there are other Chinese copies of this on eBay for as little as £25, i found this out after i'd bought mine for £85 :doh:

Do you still get that weird blur with a really small aperture (large f/stop)?

No, these are all taken wide open at 1.7 because i like the weird blur, it's dreamy :lol:

I think it's an old school lens made for much smaller sensors, hence the blurry extremes to the shots, but that's the character of it :)

It's not a lens to use all the time, but i like it :D

Some nice pictures in this thread as well as advice.

I've had my 500D for a few years now and i'm ashamed to say I've never really had a proper play with it (first serious camera) however I've recently been on a course that was bought for me from groupon. Explained a lot, gave me some pointers and now i'm starting to enjoy taking it out of auto modes.

I've practised photographing the moon and have some quite good shots considering the modest sigma zoom lens I have (as well as the kit lens). I also use an iphone app called "photocaddy" which gives some great tips on settings for certain situations.

Anyway i've enjoyed looking at other peoples offerings and as soon as i feel a little more confident i will contribute some of mine although i dont really like any post processing apart from cropping... i should really change my attitude :)

EDIT: I mean using any post processing, not sure why but i certainly dont mind others tweaking their pictures :)

I've only been taking pictures for about a year. Not had any lessons; most of my knowledge is self taught. The one time I went on a course, I didn't even pay attention as I was there with a friend.

Oh, so it's a doddle then :wacko::thumbs: Mate some of your pictures are the double dogs :thumbs:

I like the way Graham is enquiring, stepping to the front, has a little bash with his camera and to be fair thought hmm nice, very atmospheric.

Scroll down.....

Then clown posts the smack down of all photos :doh:

I don't bother with this thread, don't like manual on my camera, it makes all the pictures go funny. I keep trying, but it's a bit like building the courage to jump from the highest diving board.

Haha, thanks guys :)

I dunno, I just make pictures that look good to me and hope other people like them. I only posted those three because I took them yesterday!

Okay let's get one thing clear here. Are these photos untouched? If not by how much are the photos adjusted, say as a %?

Okay let's get one thing clear here. Are these photos untouched? If not by how much are the photos adjusted, say as a %?

100% touched.

The first two are layers of pictures to blend the exposures. It wasn't really needed in the first one but I wanted to get some detail in the path on the second.

The third picture is a composite of about 20 pictures stitched together!

For a little bit behind the scenes info for you here are the untouched ones:

yxnk1.jpg

Right hand segment of the panorama.

WDO7V.jpg

This is the least touched. 120 second exposure. Only really did a lens correction and corrected the horizon and pushed the contrast again.

KwzZK.jpg

Increased contrast to back the lighter which also brought out the colours. Notice how the left side is black and the water is not as bright.

And there was me thinking you had amazing photo skills :lol:

So if you're a whizz with Photoshop you get great pics.

Still the end results are cracking.

Ok so now we have Graham's pic, play with that if you could just so that I can see what I'm missing in my skills cabinet :lol:

Some great city scape shots, I really need to go and use my tripod more :lol:

Nothing wrong with using photoshop, technology is here to be used, in any case if you haven't got the composition right to start off with no amount of editing will make it look good. Hopefully will be back from Singapore with some good night shots, but stupid rules means no tripods in the GP/track areas :thumbdown:.

Great little lens for the money, and i believe there are other Chinese copies of this on eBay for as little as £25, i found this out after i'd bought mine for £85 :doh:

I remember the days when I thought spending more than £50 on a lens was too much.... :lol: Picked up a used Canon 17-55mm IS F2.8 recently for more than what I paid for my DSLR camera body+kit lens NEW!!! Still the sharpness and depth of field of the images is amazing....

mg5150t.jpg

mg4310.jpg

Had a trip up to Loch Lomond and than to Aberdeen for a wedding recently, unfortunately didn't really have much time to stop for photos (did 980 miles in 3 days, 1 day was spent getting over the hangover from the wedding). Still one of the most beautifully places i've been, will be going back next summer :).

mg5090.jpg

mg5032i.jpg

mg5038.jpg

Next time I think we'll take the 335i....I'm not sure why the roads there aren't very straight given all the empty land but it made the drive in Civic much more fun :drive1

securedownload2yu.jpg

Another quick snap from my new toy

1284.jpg

I don't think any photographer, amateur or not will always get great shots without photoshopping them, it's just the way it is. Out of interest, here's the untouched version of the above, just cropped a little, and increased the contrast, brightness and vibrance a little.

Untitled.jpg

I remember the days when I thought spending more than £50 on a lens was too much.... :lol: Picked up a used Canon 17-55mm IS F2.8 recently for more than what I paid for my DSLR camera body+kit lens NEW!!! Still the sharpness and depth of field of the images is amazing....

mg5150t.jpg

mg4310.jpg

Had a trip up to Loch Lomond and than to Aberdeen for a wedding recently, unfortunately didn't really have much time to stop for photos (did 980 miles in 3 days, 1 day was spent getting over the hangover from the wedding). Still one of the most beautifully places i've been, will be going back next summer :).

mg5090.jpg

mg5032i.jpg

mg5038.jpg

Next time I think we'll take the 335i....I'm not sure why the roads there aren't very straight given all the empty land but it made the drive in Civic much more fun :drive1

securedownload2yu.jpg

Love the second landscape shot :clap::thumbs: