forum crash

Husky

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am finding it increasingly more and more difficult to keep up with my PMs in the evening as it is frustratingly slow and last night I just gave up. :surrender:

At times for every pm I read and act on, another 6 are in my inbox.

Been playing catch up all morning. :dry:

Alex. :)

I am finding it increasingly more and more difficult to keep up with my PMs in the evening as it is frustratingly slow and last night I just gave up. :surrender:

nice to be busy then alex ;)

The slowdowns are starting around the peak period time unfortunately, and some of this is down to either mass visitor volume or more likely the way google reads our content. Its not the first time weve had to start putting up restrictions for google either.

We have restricted google from various sections of the site, and will probably need to review this further. It would appear that Google is now infatuated with our site, (and why shouldnt it be?), so much so that their lovely robot is using just shy of 15GB of bandwidth all by itself per month. This is actually 15% of the total of the sites data served up which stands at just over 100GB a month, so is fairly ridiculous for a search engine imho and its six times the level of the next bot. However this does mean we rank pretty highly on google searches for the 350z I suppose :lol:

More work will be undertaken to prevent the googlebot from getting carried away, as when it does trawl the site, it seems to hammer thousands of links at the same time, which is usually the reason for the slowdowns from time to time. Hopefully we will be able to get this resolved soon and google will be a little more caring with our site :)

To get an idea of the overal site traffic, the monthly "hits" as recorded by the server run at around 11 Million. However as show season is now upon us and people are able to get out more with the cars rather than stay indoors and talk about them, its dropped off to about 10 million last month, and looks to be heading for the same or slightly lower this month. Though this is individual items served up to visitors, Google itself records individual page views at just under 1 million per month.

i find on my slow home interweb the thing i am waiting for as far as the progress bar is concerned is google analytics. I don't know much about the inner workings of this at all, could this be part of the issue?

GA should be using the asyncronous tracker meaning it should load the full page before it sends the stats off to Google. This should mean it doesnt affect your browsing. Clearly it is in your case. Do you have Firefox? If so grab Firebuy and PageSpeed/Y-Slow and see what takes the longest to load and let us know :thumbs:

i find on my slow home interweb the thing i am waiting for as far as the progress bar is concerned is google analytics. I don't know much about the inner workings of this at all, could this be part of the issue?

GA should be using the asyncronous tracker meaning it should load the full page before it sends the stats off to Google. This should mean it doesnt affect your browsing. Clearly it is in your case. Do you have Firefox? If so grab Firebuy and PageSpeed/Y-Slow and see what takes the longest to load and let us know :thumbs:

I use chrome, I'll do a search for a chrome mod related to GA, i'm sure somethign will come up. It's definately loading GA stuff before i get to use the page, it usually loads just the top and then freezes while it waits.

OK will look into it. Can you try the 370z theme (Select it from User Control Panel) and see if that makes it quicker. The 370z theme is my testbed for optimization and I've done a few tweaks to it that I'm testing over time. I think you can get page speed for Chrome :thumbs:

OK will look into it. Can you try the 370z theme (Select it from User Control Panel) and see if that makes it quicker. The 370z theme is my testbed for optimization and I've done a few tweaks to it that I'm testing over time. I think you can get page speed for Chrome :thumbs:

cool, will do when i get home, at work it works perfectly fine like you expect.

• 2 weeks later...

To get an idea of the overal site traffic, the monthly "hits" as recorded by the server run at around 11 Million. However as show season is now upon us and people are able to get out more with the cars rather than stay indoors and talk about them, its dropped off to about 10 million last month, and looks to be heading for the same or slightly lower this month. Though this is individual items served up to visitors, Google itself records individual page views at just under 1 million per month.

I have had no broadband for almost a month so that probably explains the million or so hits down last month :blush:

nice to be busy then alex ;)

I know how you feel Alex - as the site has got busier and busier we are also struggling with more 'business' and as a mod I am finding an increasing amount of time being spent just waiting for things to move. Posting messages is just the same - it takes an age for the page to pop back up compared to say just a year ago.

That does not help either the moderation of the site (for sale posts taking longer to get cleared as an example) and when people like Martinmac and myself are organizing large events for the club there is a mega amount of time making things happen anyway so these slow-downs are a real pain in the proverbial.

I just hope the Google bot (and the many others we are aware are lurking as "guests") read this and back off :lol: