forum crash

Husky

I've resurrected this thread as it's the earliest one I can find regarding the forum locking up. Again it's been down again tonight, what's being done guys as this post started back in April and we're still experiencing technical issues?

It's quite frustrating!

:dots:

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We have recently identified several possible changes to improve the situation, but they rely on an administrator (namely me), being available to work on the site for a couple of hours or so without interruption.

Sadly at the moment I haven't been able to find that length of time to apply these recently identified (last couple of weeks) possible fixes. Hopefully we should be able to implement these soon.

In the meanwhile any specific information would really help. If you experience a crash or lockout, please try and record the time & date, and if you were performing any specific task at the time. Posting, reading a particular section etc etc.

The more info we can get, the easier it is to try and pinpoint from the logs exactly what caused it.

hmm, i was writing a post which had 4 pictures linked through from photobucket on it, i hit preview and the forum had gone splat when i did, so it just sat there with a little waiting symbol until eventually it timed out.

sometimes its different though and says the forum simply doesnt exist.

Also, it's worth noting that one of the possible reasons for a crash occurring is actually made worse when people try to refresh/access the site continually during am outage.

In laymans terms, the constant requests to the forum actually back up behind a temporarily slow service, meaning that it compounds the problem. If you notice an outage and after a single refresh it is still not up, give it 15 minutes, if still not up try in another 15.

That may actually help speed up the site coming back online, if indeed one of the possible problems is what we believe it to be.

Also, it's worth noting that one of the possible reasons for a crash occurring is actually made worse when people try to refresh/access the site continually during am outage.

In laymans terms, the constant requests to the forum actually back up behind a temporarily slow service, meaning that it compounds the problem. If you notice an outage and after a single refresh it is still not up, give it 15 minutes, if still not up try in another 15.

That may actually help speed up the site coming back online, if indeed one of the possible problems is what we believe it to be.

after hammering the refresh button a few times i said

Maybe it's like watching a kettle, if I stop trying to refresh it, it will come back to life?
:blush::blush::blush:

As Chris has already said, when the site is slow or appears down - please do not keep hitting refresh or trying to click links to other parts of the site.

All pages are served through a central database and when the site appears "down" its because this database is overloaded slightly. when you make more requests (click links or hit F5/refresh), all you are doing is adding to the queue of pages it is trying to serve, and eventually it gets into a right mess and cant recover due to the queue growing quicker than it can serve it.

We know the fix, and just need to implement it. As it requires low level database changes we are being very cautious about this and it requires Chris to perform it as he has the right access. Even after the change there may still be some tuning required so it might take a while to get things back to how they should be.

Unfortunately this is a our own doing becoming so successful. We are far larger than we have ever been and even in just the last 12 months we have twice as many visitors as before (actual visitors not bots), and also a lot more interest from places like Google who like to keep up to date with the site which is very busy. This means the DB is having to work harder than before and needs to be tuned as such, which it isnt out of the box.

• 5 weeks later...
Think I know what's breaking the forum, the CHAT!

Erh, we did a bit of a stress test earlier *2min ago, posting big sized photos seems to have crashed the whole forum :blush:

maybe restrict size or buffer on the forum... don't get rid of the pics though it's a cool thing :thumbs:

Anders is to blame, I had no part in this test :ninja:

Think I know what's breaking the forum, the CHAT!

Erh, we did a bit of a stress test earlier *2min ago, posting big sized photos seems to have crashed the whole forum :blush:

maybe restrict size or buffer on the forum... don't get rid of the pics though it's a cool thing :thumbs:

Anders is to blame, I had no part in this test :ninja:

:console: It's fine we did our part to make this place more robust :thumbs: