forum crash

Husky

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

But kunena generates about 10x the sql queries of phpbb3 from what Ive seen. And we are already running phpbb3 :shrug:

Also in order to generate the things like the calendar etc, you need to integrate into joomla, which to be fair looks crap if Im honest. IPB or Vbulletin are quite professional with most all features already in them, or bolt on extras. Thats where the difference from phpbb comes in as the bolt ons are written specifically by the team that develop the main software, so there are no issues when adding them on - and if there are, their support team fix it. figuring out why our phpbb3 installation is not running as well as it should is the best course of action for now.

Adrian, the reply back to you wasn't as blunt as your making out when you initially contacted me ....

Mike, bellow is the screenshot with the reply you've sent me back in February on my first contact, to me it's quite blunt, sorry :teeth:

[attachment=0]Screen shot 2011-05-05 at 14.35.11.jpg[/attachment]

I wouldn't get upset. seems a perfectly polite reply to me :)

Here are some stats from one of the forums I run (joomla + kunena + jomsocial + jcalendar + others) in the attached screenshot.

post-7720-135011904346_thumb.jpg

Also the server where it runs, together with many other websites:

[root@zeus ~]# w
14:44:21 up 47 days, 22:23,  2 users,  load average: 0.31, 0.63, 0.92
[root@zeus ~]#

47 days ago I've installed the latest kernel patches therefore a reboot was necessary :)

[root@zeus vhosts]# ll -lsa | wc -l
[root@zeus vhosts]# 

56 websites running on here...

Here are some stats from one of the forums I run (joomla + kunena + jomsocial + jcalendar + others) in the attached screenshot.

[attachment=0]Screen shot 2011-05-05 at 14.43.16.jpg[/attachment]

64 posts per day is about 1/10th the rate we are running at here at the moment. Our stats going back since the start of the forum show an average of 363 posts per day, the volume today is quite considerably more than that average.

Adrian, the reply back to you wasn't as blunt as your making out when you initially contacted me ....

Mike, bellow is the screenshot with the reply you've sent me back in February on my first contact, to me it's quite blunt, sorry :teeth:

[attachment=0]Screen shot 2011-05-05 at 14.35.11.jpg[/attachment]

yes but thats not to say the team hadnt discussed it in depth before my reply. Your not really doing yourself any favours :dry:

Why am I being wrongly understood? I'm not trying to do myself any favours in here, just trying to help if needed, is not that complicated, is it? :dry:

I guess it just feels like your giving the "hard sell" :lol:

It's definately all interesting though :thumbs:

Why am I being wrongly understood? I'm not trying to do myself any favours in here, just trying to help if needed, is not that complicated, is it? :dry:

I guess it just feels like your giving the "hard sell" :lol:

+1 with nothing so far to back it up

we must be up to 64 posts in this one thread.

Our web Guy has just read this thread and says phpbb3 is the best forum software available on the market. It may not be as quick as others, but is far superior in terms of functionality and what it can do.

The issues the forum is having is most likely the hardware its running on not the software itself :thumbs:

I liked your first post Mike which you have quickly deleted where you wrote:

"Another thing you have to learn is take a break."

You should have left as it was :teeth: Anyway, if I'm trying to "sell" at what price am I selling it? I did not ask for anything, did I? Have we lost trust in people forever? I feel that some bad experience is floating around here that I might not be aware of...

Seriously, no need to be grumpy (if you are), Mike.

I'm not being grumpy, I had second thoughts on my post which is why I deleted it before anyone responded. I thought it may be out of hand but seeing as you have now posted it up I better clarify it

I was trying to say that you just digging yourself a hole and I think you need to let this rest. I mentioned nothing about costs/payment or you doing it for free just that I agreed with Husky that your coming across as hard sell. Sometimes when dealing with a client you have to let the client make the decisions in good time and not force them onto him to the point where you alienate yourself.

Hope its clear now

I'm not being grumpy,

You're never grumpy are you Mike :p

Hello Octet :wave:

How many followers are there of this thread :disguise:

To be fair I can understand our love for the forum, and how we'd all like to contribute, I'm sure the site does need a little jazzing up, but as others have mentioned, it's simple, does the job it's asked (although has it's temperamental moments) but at the end of the day, do we really need a ooober sexy website with all singing all dancing features? I can view the forum on my iphone with no issues, it's quick and clear.

I'd say let the Site Admin do their stuff and as mentioned by Mike, review the options for the future. Lets get past the initial down times first before stepping forward into modernisation!

:thumbs:

Seven dwarfs and snow white all sat in a hot tub feeling happy. So happy got out, and they all felt grumpy instead. :)

Im here all week.

I'll be honest, I laughed for a while at that :lol:

I didn't mean a hard sell literally like money was involved. I mean "hard sell" in terms of convincing someone of something :) no ill feeling involved.