forum crash

Husky

Very strangely IE is a sod to clear out the cookies/cache. You can tell it to delete them, yet when you come back to the site they magically re-appear as before they were deleted (i.e. not recrated fresh, but copies of the old ones). Takes a few goes sometimes to get it cleared right.

I have also found, dont use the prompt at the top of the index page to login. Make sure you click through to sign in ( http://350z-uk.com/forum/ucp.php?mode=login ). I need to have a look at the one at the top of the index page as it doesnt always seem to work.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hate clearing cache etc as its the usual pain of re-entering everything. last night i was sorting my parents website and couldnt figure out why the page wouldnt update with the changes i had made, i completely gutted my browser until finally realising i had put it in the wrong folder on the web host :doh: every autofill and username auto fill now gone...

i even went as far as booting up IE for the first time in forever... wow! it's rubbish.

Any problems or slowdowns last night? Seemed ok to me. Obviously the site will be a bit slower at peak times, but should still respond within a few seconds.

Nope afraid not, give up after trying to get on to PM Tarmac last night about six attempts, appx over a half an hour, and it wouldnt have it, even this morning it locked out on me a few minutes ago, then the next attempt went staright on.

Are we sure its a microsoft problem because I never have these issues on any other forums the same size as ours? :bang:

Any problems or slowdowns last night? Seemed ok to me. Obviously the site will be a bit slower at peak times, but should still respond within a few seconds.

Nope afraid not, give up after trying to get on to PM Tarmac last night about six attempts, appx over a half an hour, and it wouldnt have it, even this morning it locked out on me a few minutes ago, then the next attempt went staright on.

Are we sure its a microsoft problem because I never have these issues on any other forums the same size as ours? :bang:

Can you give specific times please for last night? I was on and watching the forum and it was fine from ~6pm to 10:30pm. And what issue are you having? The issue with Tarmac was that he couldnt log in - he could get on the site though. That was a cookie issue with IE.

Remember the internet has a lot of links in it, not all problems stem from the site. I did see a small lockup for about a minute @ 9:50am which I will have a look at when I get home :thumbs:

Is there no automatic service monitoring of the site and background services?

The problem is the site was/is never actually "crashing". The database tables were locking up, but the database service was never actually failing, neither was any other service on the server. I have a few scripts to poll the database every minute or so. The problem with locking tables is the reason for the locking is very hard to trace. Evidently it will be either in phpBB's code or a modification made to the site, which is beyond the realms of most developers to find. Switching the database engine for the problem table removes the locking, but may throw other issues. This is what I am trying to find out.

For me last night the forum was quicker than it has been for a while and a few others have told me the same. In fact Google Analytics which reports page load speeds for IE9 and Chrome categorically shows its quicker. I wanted to make sure there arent people out there having issues that are the fault of the forum :thumbs:

Hi Chris this morning was the time you are on about, about 10am, last night Tarmac sent me a PM at 10.45 and I could not get on to answer it,

gave up after half an hour.

I am a regular user on the internet both at work and domestic and I never have any lockouts on any thing else, I have noted the previous tips and I will have a go with them.

Cheers Jeff

Hi Chris this morning was the time you are on about, about 10am, last night Tarmac sent me a PM at 10.45 and I could not get on to answer it,

gave up after half an hour.

I am a regular user on the internet both at work and domestic and I never have any lockouts on any thing else, I have noted the previous tips and I will have a go with them.

Cheers Jeff

So just to confirm last night, you couldnt reach the site at all? It wasnt a case that the site wouldnt log you in? Looks like I need to stay on the site a little longer on a night :yawn::lol: I do have logs that show the numbers of queries and usually this drops if there are any significant lock outs and its fine last night and GA gives hour by hour breakdowns and again looked ok but after what you said, maybe not! :wacko:

Thanks for the feedback its most appreciated :thumbs:

From GA:

Pageviews per hour:

1900 : 1,984

2000 : 2,185

2100 : 2,354

2200 : 2,785

2300 : 1,554

0000 : 644

As you can see the site "appeared" to be up, as this follows the usual trend when comparing it to same time last week and same time last month (looking in GA I can overlay them ontop of each other). That said if it locks up for 1/2hr then goes back to normal then its not always obvious from these stats.

I had a weird one at around 7.30pm last night. I launched the forum bookmark on my mobile (Android using the chrome browser) which is meant to (and has always) taken to me to the active topics. This time it too me to a page saying something along the lines on "Sorry, you search could not be preformed at this time."

This was on the forum and after that i was able to click "View Active Topics" with no issues.

Might have been that it needed to create a new session before it would let you do the search if that was the first time you've clicked it since the changes (on your phone). If all is well after that I wouldnt worry.

The problem is the site was/is never actually "crashing". The database tables were locking up, but the database service was never actually failing, neither was any other service on the server.

You could try Zenoss for monitoring, there's a free core version and you can setup SQL as test and alert if the time to run is over a threshold, it will also keep graphs of the response times etc.

The problem is the site was/is never actually "crashing". The database tables were locking up, but the database service was never actually failing, neither was any other service on the server.

You could try Zenoss for monitoring, there's a free core version and you can setup SQL as test and alert if the time to run is over a threshold, it will also keep graphs of the response times etc.

:thumbs: using zenoss myself for monitoring for a few things, works real well.

Everyone happy last night? :teeth:

Think we've worked out a few things and a few more in the pipeline to speed it up a bit more hopefully (or rather not cause it to slow down). Also think I've worked out how to allow ODBC with our hosts which means we can look at plugging in some monitoring s/w in the future to keep an eye on things :thumbs:

Just to let those people that think nothing is being done to combat this know, the thread in the team area for this issue is longer than this one and it's full of geek speak and code too.....

:)