Gutted about my Z

WINKJ

Guys, I won't get into too much detail at the moment as I've just raised the claim with insurance. However I thought i'd share the bad news that I was involved in an accident on Friday night.

I am OK and walked away from accident. Loads of people came out to help and provide me with coffee etc and support with moving the traffic on. It's my first incident and i subsequently seemed to have a small bit of shock, being sick and shaking etc. 

To get to the accident, I was travelling south on Thame road in Little Milton at 9pm Friday night where a car came out of the Haseley junction at speed, clearly not realising it was a T-junction or even there was a house/wall on the other side of the road. Needless to say it was bad timing - as I saw his headlights I knew he wasn't going to be able to stop in time for the junction so I put on my breaks as soon as i could, car locked up slightly, he missed the left side of my car as I was able to slow but unfortunately caught the front right really badly.

I'm absolutely gutted about the Z - I am moving in 3 weeks where I planned to keep the Z as a weekend/summer car. I also had plans to keep it forever as i've owned it from new. Now It looks like that won't be happening at all. 

Gangzoom - thank you for insisting we get dashcam's after your crash - this was in the pitch black so hopefully the footage will be of use still. 

James

38506787092_109a5e10d8_z.jpg

38482404636_284fe4b247_z.jpg

26762517909_472c5fc293_z.jpg

37650707645_a3886cfed9_z.jpgI

PS - if I shouldn't have this on until the claim and case is closed - please tell me and I'll remove. 

Edited by WINKJ

I am not an expert but would remove it just in case. But having seen it I would be shocked if you didnt get a full payout from their insurance, given how dark it is crazy the person didnt stop and appeared almost out of control coming to that junction. Glad you walked away and can imagine it was a scary experience.

I see no reason not to leave it up, nothing there is prejudicial to your case. Video is as cut and dried as they come, arguably there's a criminal case for the other driver there but that's unlikely to ever be proven.

And yes, dashcams are absolutely superb in these situations. What I will say is that this demonstrates why I say get the best one you can, as your footage isn't remotely clear enough to identify the car in the dark. Irrelevant in your case as clearly you have other pics post-crash, but if he'd driven off you'd have nothing. That said, anything is better than nothing as proved here. Good on you for getting a camera sorted :)

Sorry to see this though, but please don't be too shaken up as there was absolutely nothing else you could've done. You were at the appropriate speed for the conditions, the other guy clearly wasn't. Cars can be repaired, people can't. Just glad you're okay bud.

Thanks everyone - still gutted. 

Just trying to sort where to get the car repaired (if repairable). I am trying to decide whether to go with the garage as recommended by my insurance or find one myself. My concern is that if I find my oneself i'm going to be alone in my endeavor to get the standard to the correct level whereas the insurance will fight the battle on my behalf

Is it worth hanging on until the claim is sorted? It is as Dan said its an absolute non starter for the other driver to challenge this - you had your lights on, you were driving sensibly, you tried to avoid the accident he didn't slow to check it was safe to exit and looked completely out of control of the car. 

3 minutes ago, coldel said:

Is it worth hanging on until the claim is sorted? It is as Dan said its an absolute non starter for the other driver to challenge this - you had your lights on, you were driving sensibly, you tried to avoid the accident he didn't slow to check it was safe to exit and looked completely out of control of the car. 

Good point - this is my first incident in 10 years of driving so it's a whole new process to me. My car is currently being collected from a garage where it was taken to the one that the insurers have picked to complete the repairs. I will be getting a call from the new garage in 1-2 days and at that point i'll tell them to not touch it until I hear from the claims team (hopefully that they accept full responsibility). 

Once I get the all clear, hopefully they can look at repair. But i'm not holding my breath. 

Also, I was fortunate as I also had a car following me and the guy gave me his number, took pictures and said he was a witness to it all. 

Just now, coldel said:

Has the car been declared a write off? Any chassis damage?

They've not had chance to look at it yet - it was only dropped of from the compound this morning (to the wrong garage). So it'll be collected and moved to another car repair garage today/tomorrow and assessed this week. TBH it really could be either way - maybe just comes down to chassis damage or not? 

Also the airbags didn't deploy which was good. 

Very good :)

You might well find it's repairable, in which case I'd personally just let the insurer's garage deal with the whole thing. No disrespect, but it's only a Nissan so doesn't exactly require a huge amount of expertise to sort and all OEM stuff should just bolt straight on (i.e. you don't necessarily need an top-level bodyshop to fettle everything). Also this then puts the ball in their court to make sure it's all done properly, as they chose the garage not you ;) Insurers don't want to pay twice for the same thing nor naff their customers off, so the big guys will only deal with quality garages these days anyway.

It does shake you up when this sort of thing happens. I had someone pile into the back of me when I was stationary once. He must have been doing 60mph easily. I was thrown back with so much force it ripped the drivers seat clean out of the floorpan.

For months and months afterwards id be paranoid about the same thing happening again. You would be sitting there and see a car approaching from behind and start finding yourself flinching. Not a nice experience.

As others have said, the onus is on the other guys insurance company to fix it all up and get you a courtesy car to use in the meantime. Hopefully the garage will make a good job of the repair, but make sure you thoroughly check it all through. When my wife had her car repaired once, I had to send it back 3 times before they finally did it properly. The first time they had even used the completely wrong shade of paint on the repair. And this was a big national repair company.

1 hour ago, Ekona said:

Very good :)

You might well find it's repairable, in which case I'd personally just let the insurer's garage deal with the whole thing. No disrespect, but it's only a Nissan so doesn't exactly require a huge amount of expertise to sort and all OEM stuff should just bolt straight on (i.e. you don't necessarily need an top-level bodyshop to fettle everything). Also this then puts the ball in their court to make sure it's all done properly, as they chose the garage not you ;) Insurers don't want to pay twice for the same thing nor naff their customers off, so the big guys will only deal with quality garages these days anyway.

thanks Dan, I should get a view tomorrow/Wed as to whether it can be repaired. Your conclusion is the same that I got to after some deliberation. I just really hope that they can repair it. They're being great about hire car etc too - I've not been insistent on any type of car but they have said they'll provide me a similar car (TT) - either way I wasn't that fussed. 

22 minutes ago, rabbitstew said:

It does shake you up when this sort of thing happens. I had someone pile into the back of me when I was stationary once. He must have been doing 60mph easily. I was thrown back with so much force it ripped the drivers seat clean out of the floorpan.

For months and months afterwards id be paranoid about the same thing happening again. You would be sitting there and see a car approaching from behind and start finding yourself flinching. Not a nice experience.

As others have said, the onus is on the other guys insurance company to fix it all up and get you a courtesy car to use in the meantime. Hopefully the garage will make a good job of the repair, but make sure you thoroughly check it all through. When my wife had her car repaired once, I had to send it back 3 times before they finally did it properly. The first time they had even used the completely wrong shade of paint on the repair. And this was a big national repair company.

thats Rabbit (Stu?) - yep I was surprised at how bad I felt. I like to feel I have good control over my body and emotion etc but it has really consumed me, and still is. Going to the docs this PM for a check-up as still feeling sick/sore. The OH and Mum are pressuring me into it! 

I'll keep on top of the repair and will want to see the repair work being carried out etc. 

Glad your alright. I had never been in a bad crash before mine earlier in the year, the intial shock takes a bit time to wear off, and even now I keep an eye out for cars that seem to be approaching junctions a bit quickly.

I found it took me a couple of days to get my head clear, hope it gets sorted quickly.

Edited by gangzoom