Selling this time of year

fergie1471

So iv got my 350Z roadster on autotrader and had hardly any interest at all. Iv got it up for just above what I have been offered by we buy any car etc thinking it will be snapped up but getting nothing. Has anyone else tried to sell a roadster this time of year? Should I hold on longer to it before giving it away for a silly price or are 350Z's not moving in general at the min?

Here is the advert Iv got up. Is there any information you think I should be adding on there or something that is putting people off?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201702011867143?radius=10&sort=distance&advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=ts60dw&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=Used&page=1

Advert looks fine to me, nice car at a fair price. How long have you had the advert up for?

Not quite the same but I've had my BMW up for sale for a week on Pistonheads and Autotrader. Over 100 views on Autotrader, no phone calls, messages or emails at all.

Car sales tend to go through phases, I've noticed roadsters tend to get more interest when the weather's better.

Contrary to above, I think the advert is pretty poor and doesn't stand out at all. Advertising slogans in car adverts in my opinion are not good i.e. "this is the top one you can get" makes it sound like a desperate car salesman. In terms of value for money etc that's up to the buyer to decide, you shouldn't really be telling them what to think.

Stick to the facts, create bulleted lists of detail so its easier to digest. Mention service history? Mention MoT?

The ad needs much more detail and needs to appeal to the person likely to buy this, they are more likely to be a car enthusiast and interested in the detail. If I were spending two grand on a Fiat this ad might work for me for example...

Personally I have found Autotrader a complete waste of time for this sort of car, ebay has worked so much better for me, much higher readership I suspect on ebay than Autotrader plus you can be so much more flexible with your advert - I like to include a video walkaround for people to view for instance you can include this in your advert description.

All above is constructive feedback, don't take it personally.

Oh jeez, we really need to talk as that is smack bang where I want to be, and it's a 313 too...!

Seriously, in a couple of weeks I may well have the cash for that if it's as good as you say. PM me more history about the car, so servicing, MOT, when you had bits fitted, who by etc. The more detailed you make it, the more likely I am to buy.

• Like 2

I would hold out at that price or well very close to 6k anyways. Maybe worth waiting until spring when the weather get's better and people are less skint.

Had my 325 on for weeks now and absolutely nothing. Just bad time of year in my opinion...

http://www.autotrade...201701191468299

Edited by WillisRR

In my experience it takes at least 6 weeks to sell a car in most cases. Auto trader can be hit and miss, but as Coldel says, eBay is often the better option - you get so much more feedback through here. You can see the number of watchers, and people can email you questions which is far more accessible for your average buyer rather than having to make a phone call. e.g. would Ekona even bother to phone you up about this car? Probably not... but he can message you on here to start a more informal dialogue...

Funnily enough the low price may be putting people off as "too good to be true" or "what's wrong with it?" WBAC seriously undervalue cars, and yours in the condition it's in is worth at least 3k more. I know if I saw a HR for that price and all others 9-10k I'd be questioning it...

• Like 1

Yeah too cheap to start with, and the 02 plate may throw a few off. Thinking either it's actually a 2002 miss advertised or it's got issues.

Make a more detailed advert, pop it on ebay at 7500-8500 and it will be gone in weeks I bet. Or i'll do you a straight swap for my 05 if you want :) you'll get 6200 for that ;)

Edited by Willsy1980

Agreed with the above, I'd say its cheap, almost too cheap that people may think you are looking for a quick sale before it goes bang. (Which I assume you are not?),

I would also say AutoTrader is not the best audience these days. eBay is very good, but you do have to wade through the odd scammer and stupid offer. My last 2-3 cars have sold through Pistonheads - I would give them a try and you can also write a decent advert and not just the few paragraphs AT allow you.

GLTWS :D

Lots of interesting opinions here.Funny time of year.Sold my 2006 DE for £10,500 in 1 day first week of Jan.Had my Nismo Juke on Pistonheafs and Autotrader for a month at a great price and not had one call.