McLaren 650S Spider crash within minutes of ownership

valy

I'll remind people of this thread the next time someone on here bins their Zed. We can dispense with the fake sympathy then, and just get straight to the point that they must be an utter cockwomble.

For all we know the guy could've saved up his whole life to buy that, then someone drifts into his lane causing him to panic and stuff it into the tree. Or diesel on the road. Or maybe he just wasn't used to the power. Or maybe he really was driving like a numpty. Either way, it's a sad end to a stunning car, and I bet no-one feels worse today than he does. Don't get me wrong, if the guy was genuinely driving poorly then let rip, but considering we have absolutely zero idea what happened I'm not overly keen on the insults when I know that everyone on here would be devastated if it happened to them.

Parts of this thread reminds me of those people who stand at track days and cheer when someone bins their pride and joy simply because they made a mistake. I'm not overly comfortable with that, either.

See? I can do caring as well sometimes.

• Like 8

Serious question: when you buy a car like that do manufacturers offer free truition to familiariase new owners etc?

If we ever won the lottery I'd be straight down the McLaren showroom, but I'd be wanting some private tuition before I took my new pride and joy out on the roads.

• Like 2

I have always maintained that anyone buying a car with proper performance should be forced to take the advanced driving test and given tuition in there new purchase on private roads / track before there ever let loose on the public roads

• Like 2

Serious question: when you buy a car like that do manufacturers offer free truition to familiariase new owners etc?

If you ask, yes; mucho expensive car dealerships are very accommodating to their customers.

• Like 1

The Zed is my first big displacement rear wheel drive car. Even after 3 years of ownership, i drive it like an old lady in the wet since i have no training what so ever in advanced driving or drifting. Common sense really. If i bought a super car, i would be so so so careful in it. Maybe he was and just got caught out, but it's pretty easy to drive carefully in any car i think. i don't think Mclaren make super sensitive accelerator pedals to catch out some unsuspecting new owner. " ha ha! snort! scoff!! " said the R&D Mclaren team " this'll catch out that rich prick from Essex "

Edited by Rock_Steady
  • Like 1

I live round the corner from the McLaren factory, in the last 5 years or so, at least two brand new McLaren vehicles have been crashed by engineers on the cars "road test" before (not) being handed over to the new owner.

In respect to supercar training, I know that with the SLR, you put your deposit down and whilst that cleared they took you on the track at Mercedes Benz-World in something like a C63 to make sure you could drive. If your driving wasn't to a suitable standard, they gave you some free track sessions in various AMG's with professional tuition. It happened after a footballer crashed into some children in an SLR and the judge in the following investigation ripped into McLaren/Merc for just handing the cars to anyone who could afford one.

• Like 1

I'll remind people of this thread the next time someone on here bins their Zed. We can dispense with the fake sympathy then, and just get straight to the point that they must be an utter cockwomble.

For all we know the guy could've saved up his whole life to buy that, then someone drifts into his lane causing him to panic and stuff it into the tree. Or diesel on the road. Or maybe he just wasn't used to the power. Or maybe he really was driving like a numpty. Either way, it's a sad end to a stunning car, and I bet no-one feels worse today than he does. Don't get me wrong, if the guy was genuinely driving poorly then let rip, but considering we have absolutely zero idea what happened I'm not overly keen on the insults when I know that everyone on here would be devastated if it happened to them.

Parts of this thread reminds me of those people who stand at track days and cheer when someone bins their pride and joy simply because they made a mistake. I'm not overly comfortable with that, either.

Clearly in a built up area with most likely a 30 limit, road looks slightly damp. Any sensible person buying a Supercar would take it very easy for a few days or weeks, get to know the car. Anyway, from studying the 2 photos it looks to me like the car was actually travelling in the opposite direction to the way it finished up and it spun around on hitting the tree. Single car accidents like that are almost always down to driver error, If he'd have owned the car for 6 months then I would have given him some latitude but on the first day, c'mon.

Pete

• Like 3