Rip off UK

Davectr

First things first, before I start I know this has been covered before and normally I would'nt participate (as I actually have no interest in fuel economy, I fill up with V - Power, use it then fill up again - Simples!)

However, having just returned from a winter break in Tenerife, we hired a car whilst there. When I was filling it up before taking it back the Mrs pointed out the price of fuel (I don't actually know what it costs at home 😱) - 75c/litre, which works out roughly about 50p/litre. Why?

• Like 1

The Canary Islands are Tax Free ;)

It's purely tax. We are taxed more on fuel in the UK than they are in the Canary Islands. Even mainland Spain is cheaper than UK but purely for the same reason. Although there's been a lot of talk recently about the retailers and refiners not passing on the reduction in prices that they ought to be doing. Of course the government don't care about that because to do so has the likelihood of reducing the tax revenue :rant:

Edited by Floydbax

2 .5 Dollars a GALLON in San Diego when I was there two weeks ago.That,s about £1.60.

Still cheap but a U.S Gallon is only 83% of a U.K Gallon, so its around £1.80. It's swings and roundabouts though , mate of mine lived in Houston for 20 years but couldn't afford health insurance when he retired.

Cheapest fuel in Europe are places like Ukraine, Moldova, Georgia but who wants to live there? Norway and Italy have Europe's most expensive fuel followed by The U.K and The Netherlands, it's about 10% cheaper in Ireland but road tax is eye watering.

Pete

Because we have a much higher standard of living, and that costs.

Sure our standard of living has nothing to do with the extra fuel duty tax then the tax on the fuel duty tax they tax us with.

Of course it does... Got to pay for all the public services somehow!

• Like 1

Because we have a much higher standard of living, and that costs.

Sure our standard of living has nothing to do with the extra fuel duty tax then the tax on the fuel duty tax they tax us with.

Of course it does... Got to pay for all the public services somehow!

Making sure companies pay the correct levels of tax would do that, as would bringing the minimum wage up to the real living wage.

Motorists are and always have been an easy target for the government. Far harder to make the likes of starbucks, amazon & Google stump up what they actually owe.

In direct response to the OPs question. Production, refining and transport\vendor charges are around 25% of the cost of fuel. The other 75% is a mixture of Duty & VAT.

• Like 1

iirc the UK does actually have one of the very lowest prices for fuel... that's prior to our lovely government then putting duty AND vat on top of it.

Perhaps if they stopped giving money to countries that don't require it, stop pretending to fight bs wars and sort out the sponging fookers over here, they wouldn't need to :lol:

• Like 3

iirc the UK does actually have one of the very lowest prices for fuel... that's prior to our lovely government then putting duty AND vat on top of it.

Perhaps if they stopped giving money to countries that don't require it, stop pretending to fight bs wars and sort out the sponging fookers over here, they wouldn't need to :lol:

Just about sums it up mate :thumbs:

Companies do pay the correct amount of tax. If the rules are stupid then blame the law makers, not the companies.

It's like me asking you if you'd like to legally pay less tax, no-one in their right mind would say no.

Absolutely spot on

I.ve said it time and time again, its folk playing the system, if the fecking cretins we vote in cant (or don't want to as is the case) close the "loop holes", best of luck to folk who take the ****, rich or poor

Rob

• Like 1

We also have some of the lowest income tax, Corporation tax and National Insurance/Social Security rates of any developed country. Oh, and high standard free healthcare and schooling for everyone, a non corrupt legal system and apparently the 4th best standard of living in the EU, it aint all bad :)

• Like 1

We also have some of the lowest income tax, Corporation tax and National Insurance/Social Security rates of any developed country. Oh, and high standard free healthcare and schooling for everyone, a non corrupt legal system and apparently the 4th best standard of living in the EU, it aint all bad :)

So what you really mean is, if you don't like it move somewhere else? :boxing: