Nearly lost my Z

nigess

i had a simular thing happen to me but normal road, in a stright line. hammered the brakes a harsh but progressivly eary for a corner and did get my heart rate going as the back end did start a little wiggle. im leaving fast driving to the track, not worth it.

• Like 1

I had a similar thing happen to me in my HR as it was slightly damp and i was slowing down on a curve to a round about and a tank slapper occurred, i think i might be because there is quite a bit of weight up front and the back end tends to act as a pendulum, was not at high speed though and i had crap tyres. Whilst the car feels nimble its no MX5 so it might have felt worse than it was.

i think i might be because there is quite a bit of weight up front and the back end tends to act as a pendulum

53/47 distribution, its hardly a 911 :lol:

Is that good 53/47, i have just always looked at he location of engine and gearbox i thought quite front heavy but i guess not?

weight distribution is what its all about and you unbalanced the car.... simples

^^ This. ;)

If you stamped hard on the brakes then you will have transferred weight to the front end which in effect will have lessened rear wheel traction, ...this will have been exacerbated further if you were turning at the same time, going over a rise in the road or if your tyres are worn/wrong pressures/mismatched etc.

Lessen learnt I'm sure and new pants on order I take it. :D

Im fed up with this holier than though bullshit - if the guy had the same experience on a racetrack or closed road would it have been due to something else? Of course not, if you really feel the need to have a pop at someone the Daily Mail has a comment section, get yourself over there.

If you were on a curve and getting a move on its possible that the weight shift from the back to the front as you braked (broke?) meant that the rear tyres no longer had the traction they did, hence why they let go, its actually a recognised drift initiation technique called brake drift.

Ive found on track my car is very susceptible to losing the back end under heavy braking/downshifting, certainly worse than some other cars Ive had, if you do need to brake while going round a corner then you need to be as gentle as possible so as not to upset the balance of grip too quickly. If youre right on the limit then even lifting off the throttle by a fraction can be enough to make the car go sideways, braking will obviously have a much greater effect.

Agree very much with this. Driver training (especially on track) helps you deal with similar if it happens on the road- as the road will often have poor camber variations which make it worse.

In addition:

Last time alignment was set up?

Age of suspension parts?

Age of discs/ pads/ calipers?

Any modification to sway bars or suspension?

Spacers?

Any of those may affect hard braking. It's something I used to get on my old 306 track car. That car also had a brake balance valve/ distributer to vary braking power between front and rear which used to get stuck- not sure if the 350/ 370 works in the same way?

Edited by Siman350z

Well that is a certainly varied type of comments. To mouthwash I did not get the car with the nismo sticker so car not unbalanced. Tyres brand new all round and all the same. Tyre pressures 35psi all round as stated in manual. I think it was an extreme set of circumstances which I do not intend to repeat and the term not recommended speed is stated as not wanting to open myself up to prosecution. I find it quite amusing that I get frowned upon because I like to drive fast isn't that the point of having a sports car. Someone in another thread I started said that when I get a Z said I would drive to the red line thus suggesting that people like to drive them fast. It was a safe bit of road just an unpredictable white van man driver. Thanks for all the comments tho very amusing on the most part and some actually answered my original question which I asked so I can avoid a similar set of circumstances, and yes clean pants and seat lol. cheers all can't wait to meet some of you right barrel of laughs

• Like 1

Yes we enjoy our cars, but we know the road isn't a place for being stupid.

Get yourself to a track, enjoy the car for what it is, like a lot of us do.

I'm sure if you had actually lost the back and hit someone, which could have been possible, you wouldn't be so dismissive.

Yes we've all had close calls in our times for being a bit generous with our right foot, learn from it though.

Haters gonna hate - I had a race with an F21 M5 the other day, Im still alive, so is he, big deal :lol:

Any of those may affect hard braking. It's something I used to get on my old 306 track car.

Moar 306 info required, I have a GTI-6 and I love it :cloud9:

• Like 1

Okay, I'm bored, I'll play;

I think it was an extreme set of circumstances

Some of which were self inflicted, to be honest.

the term not recommended speed is stated as not wanting to open myself up to prosecution.

No one was questioning the terminology. It was the illegal speeds on a public road that people took issue to.

I find it quite amusing that I get frowned upon because I like to drive fast

There's a difference between driving fast and driving illegally. In the right time and place no one would "frown upon" you for doing those "not recommended speed", on a public road, in traffic is neither of those things let alone both.

It was a safe bit of road just an unpredictable white van man driver.

So not safe then.

Why are most people acting as if they don't speed etc? When I first got my Z it was only a little damp and I thought I would take traction control off and give it the beans round the round about. Landed on the round about lol I learned from it (not to accelerate so hard next time). I'll always have fun in it and when I decide to drive slow and save fuel etc, I'll make sure I buy a different car as the Z is clearly a car that you buy to drive and enjoy it. Give the guy a break people you're acting like you're all so innocent haha

That's what she 'Zed' :-/

• Like 2

Haters gonna hate - I had a race with an F21 M5 the other day, Im still alive, so is he, big deal :lol:

Any of those may affect hard braking. It's something I used to get on my old 306 track car.

Moar 306 info required, I have a GTI-6 and I love it :cloud9:

Oo gti 6 love over here too :)

Had 2 rallye's and 1 gti ..... Cracking cars

Same idea as a bike I guess. If you're not going in a straight line and slam the brakes on then you're gonna have issues... Although at least if it happens in a car you're "issues" won't include surfing up the road on your face

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

When I first had my Z I drove like an idiot and got taken to task for it on this forum and glad I did, im getting allot better now on the roads because when I have the lady in the car I never drive fast and In doing so I began to appreciate the cars calmer side.... is like diet relapse from time to time

Funny how many people frown upon speeding on here but I've seen a whole host of 350z-uk stickered Z's driving at "not recommended speeds" in real life.

Obivously admiting it on a public forum is silly and a polite reminder to people who do so makes sense, no need to jump down the guys throat tho :thumbs:

• Like 2

Point is taken to be honest I was just trying it out as only had I for a few days I don't drive like it all the time. I've just realised no point going on this forum on a sunday as you will obviously all be in church lol. The trouble is i'm a bit nervous now as I don't know why it happened. I didn't brake hard but it may have been that I slightly over steered as the steering gets quit stiff at speed as I'm sure you all know but i'll get used to it. Mouthwash I got the Cat D one in the end had it fully checked out chassis etc all good. Car feels solid to drive it was just this one time it may even have been that particular stretch of dual carriageway as drove down it again and same place felt wrong. Jeeman I didn't know there was another Z in Bexhill mine is white I've not seen you as yet.

Edited by nigess

The tyres are all brand new can't remember the make I can look though. The tyre place said they are good make and pressures set at 35psi as recommended. They are top rating as specified for the car XL. They are not what you would call top branded tyres though and I suppose it's possible that they don't like very high speed.