Nearly lost my Z

nigess

Because you turned slightly, and because you have mismatched tyres I suspect that the front end had more grip than the back which was compounded by you braking. If you'd had matching tyres you'd either have had the same grip, or much lower grip levels which you'd have been wiser to.

Also, you were going too fast for the conditions. That's as big a reason as the tyres

*EDIT* Yeah, what Grundy said.

Edited by Ekona

Had mismatched tyres on the MX-5 although it is a much less powerful and much lighter car you could definitely feel it in the corners, especially with no TC etc. never bothered to change them as it was only really a commuter car for my missus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you don't like your missus then !!!

When I first got my z it had rubbish tyres, straight on at roundabouts if it was even damp etc. I changed tyres and car handles so much better even in pouring rain there is more confidance in the grip.

Taking this slightly off topic but Ekona the tyre guru, why do tyre centres now recommend new tyres on the rear rather than the driven wheels (fwd cars) it always made sense to me to have the best tyres on the driven wheels.

My god I live for threads like this now ...having been in some from a while back haha. Its all the above, driving too fast when ...and I will say when... stuff is near you (if you wanna give it a punt, make sure nothings there to stop you and drive to conditions...and just don't be too silly lol), tyres...good god yes the tyres change them and also...I dunno if this has been noted or asked or I've missed it... rear wheel experience?... but I'm gonna guess its the tyres and the fact you were too near stuff to be going fast :lol::) We all love a good punt (except ekona lol) but be careful. He is right though, just 'hooking' it into a corner can slingshot you out at safe speed but feels great when done right :thumbs:

....providing you got some decent rubber

Edited by AMT
  • Like 1

Taking this slightly off topic but Ekona the tyre guru, why do tyre centres now recommend new tyres on the rear rather than the driven wheels (fwd cars) it always made sense to me to have the best tyres on the driven wheels.

Coz oversteer is more likely to kill you than understeer as its considered easier to control. If you have more grip at the back than the front you are much less likely to oversteer and you are more likely to not die as a result ;):)

Edited by docwra
  • Like 1

Ok i'll take advice given I won't ask which are recommended as I've already read someone getting the treatment for that question. I'll do some research

People slate the OEM Tyres but the OEMs on the HR are good, go for Bridgestone RE050A they last for ever and they can be fitted for £130.00 each, i have them on my car and i had ditch finders before and had a similar thing happen at slow speed... the reason why you should go for the RE050A is the car has been designed around these tyres and the tyre wall suits the weight of the car and the ditch finders are @*!# get them off ASAP or just dont drive the car in the wet... yes you might say i drive like a preist but hey it jut takes one time some cocker pulls out and your car is screwed. Also with traction control off the end does not move an inch unless your driving like a twit like I usto before I calmed down.

I have posted a link showing what crap tyres can cost you.

Edited by chrisday1990

Coz oversteer is more likely to kill you than understeer as its considered easier to control. If you have more grip at the back than the front you are much less likely to oversteer and you are more likely to not die as a result ;):)

^^^This.

Tyre centres are pussies. I always put new tyres on the driven wheels on FWD cars.

Chrisday Ekona as you have probably read reckons on the MPSS but as you say the Nissan was designed around the bridgestone. Confused .com. I guess the real issue is though either of them is better than what I have on at the moment.Will be sorting it out tomorrow. I'm now thinking that the cheap tyres more than likely have softer walls and this and the speed and slight braking and turning all at the same time caused the car to wallow. Will report back with the results. Thanks again for all the comments

• Like 1

The Zed wasn't designed around Bridgestones. There's not a huge amount of difference between a DE and a HR 350Z, yet somehow Nissan changed from 040 to 050A tyres. In a marvellous piece of coincidence, they were the tyres at the time that Bridgestone wanted to promote... ;)

It's all down to which manufacturer will pay the most to have their tyres on a car. Michelin spend a fortune getting N rated status for the Porsche tyres, but the difference between an N rated 050A and a regular 050A is zero in the real world. I ran both, couldn't feel a difference at all.

• Like 1

Well all booked up for this afternoon. MPSS going on and wheel alignment price not too bad £137 fronts £140 rear fitted and wheel alignment thrown in. The bloke who is doing the fitting at kwik fit Bexhill has actually got a Zed so all good. I don't do a whole lot of miles so should last a while. So I figured its not something i'm going to have to do every week and I want to feel safe after what happened.

Edited by nigess

You just can't win on here doesn't anybody have anything good to say everything is doom and gloom i'm just glad i'm not suicidal

We're not all Doom and gloom, but you've totally dug your self in a hole :lol:

Bought a CAT D because it was cheap/bargain

Put Cheap tyres on

Now going to cheapest garage to get new tyres :lol:

Trouble is it has made me a bit nervous now it was quite traumatic but just pleased that I managed to pull out of it before it let go completely.

Don't be nervous, That's what condoms are for :)

On a serious note, after reading through this and through the other tyre posts, il be ordering some mpss tyres at the end of the month.

You just can't win on here doesn't anybody have anything good to say everything is doom and gloom i'm just glad i'm not suicidal

You seem to have missed that a fair few people dont really share the "anything over 70mph is suicide" attitude, but frankly you have no excuse if youre using tyres you havent ever heard of.

As for Kwik Fit, if you find anyone anywhere with a good word to say about them Ill give you a tenner :lol:

As for Kwik Fit, if you find anyone anywhere with a good word to say about them Ill give you a tenner :lol:

My mate is the manager of my local and will fit my own tyres and align the car on a Hunter machine for a couple of quid, and do it all properly.... tenner to nigess please :teeth:

They failed to do up the nuts on two of my wheels once, the front wheel was held on by one finger tight nut only. They also tried to hit my missus up for new brake pads when we had changed them less than 6 weeks previously, and thats just my experiences ........

Well ok I had the tyres fitted. Three separate people checked the wheel nuts. Alignment was done on machine and computer equipment. No complaints whatsoever, and whats wrong with a cat d car anyway. I even asked abbey about it and they said don't let it put you off. I got a 10.5 grand car for 6250 good business I reckon. Handles great with the new tyres runs great so mr Nasty who was having pop at me about going cheap well enough said. We can't all be experts about tyres and I've learned from this. I won't be posting on here again so you can all be really helpful to some other poor critter who dares to ask a question

Well ok I had the tyres fitted. Three separate people checked the wheel nuts. Alignment was done on machine and computer equipment. No complaints whatsoever, and whats wrong with a cat d car anyway. I even asked abbey about it and they said don't let it put you off. I got a 10.5 grand car for 6250 good business I reckon. Handles great with the new tyres runs great so mr Nasty who was having pop at me about going cheap well enough said. We can't all be experts about tyres and I've learned from this. I won't be posting on here again so you can all be really helpful to some other poor critter who dares to ask a question

Don't take us too serious mate! When I bought my zed and had few issues i was nearly shoot in my first post1 All good on here! People always happy to help and give an advise and kick your ass in a friendly manner!

Edited by Dashurik