Apple watch

tatooandy67

Cant imagine anyone in skilled labour would want one unless it had a rubber casing and shock proofing - its a lot of £££ even at the lower end of the scale to risk bashing it on something whilst working.

You'd be surprised, lots of guys are wearing half decent watches these days. Plus if you're happy to take your £700 smartphone on site, what difference a £300 watch...?

Want one. I'll figure out why later :lol:

In terms of 'nice watch prices' these start at the bottom end of that market (except the 10k ones which you'd be insane to buy with a Aple Watch 2 coming along in X months), the only other watch I've ever really wanted is a Rolex Submariner and that doesn't do much apart from the time and date and costs many thousands more than the stainless apple watch :shrug: The only question is whether or not to hold on for the second iteration, as apple iteration 2s are usually a good step forward.

PS - I don't care if the Milanese loop is for girls, it's the best one!

• Like 2

I think Apple are on to a winner...Again!!

Even wife how have no interest in Apple stuff wanted to have a closer look at 'Rose Gold' edition....than she saw the price :lol:

Apple must have engineered some kind of way to replace the inside of the watch for the 'edition' models. Unlike a phone, I cannot see Apple changing the case design that much, after all theres only so many ways you can design a watch.

I think I'll wait for the next generation device though....A waterproof case I think is essential, especially if Apple want people to wear it whilst running/cycling etc.

£300 is actuality not that much to spend on even a 'sports' watch. The top of the range Garmin GPS watches are more expensive, and look hideous in comparison..

GAR47_400_1.jpg

Edited by gangzoom

Apple Watch is splash and water resistant but not waterproof. You can, for example, wear and use Apple Watch during exercise, in the rain, and while washing your hands, but submerging Apple Watch is not recommended. Apple Watch has a water resistance rating of IPX7 under IEC standard 60529. The leather bands are not water resistant.

A quick look at details of the IPX7 water rating tells us more about what you can and cannot do with your Apple Watch when it comes to water:

IPX7 rated devices can withstand incidental exposure to water of up to 1 meter for up to 30 minutes.

Indoor/outdoor use in the presence of rain, snow or brief splashes of water is a suitable activity.

Any immersion of more than 1 meter, regardless of duration of immersion, or any immersion of more than 30 minutes, regardless of depth of immersion is not a suitable activity.

In short, as Tim Cook recently said, you’ll be able to take your Apple Watch in the shower (unless it has a leather band), but don’t even think about going surfing with it.

Apple must have engineered some kind of way to replace the inside of the watch for the 'edition' models. Unlike a phone, I cannot see Apple changing the case design that much, after all theres only so many ways you can design a watch.

That's a good point: Whilst people are okay with changing a phone every couple of years, no-one does that with watches and it's crazy to think that people would consider doing that.

But what more could they add to it?

Cant imagine anyone in skilled labour would want one unless it had a rubber casing and shock proofing - its a lot of £££ even at the lower end of the scale to risk bashing it on something whilst working.

You'd be surprised, lots of guys are wearing half decent watches these days. Plus if you're happy to take your £700 smartphone on site, what difference a £300 watch...?

I can stick my phone in a rubber case, in a bag, inside another bag and put the bag away from my powerdrills ;)

My dad and brother are car mechanics, they remove all jewellery and watches when they work including wedding rings, they would just get scratched and smashed otherwise. They have cheaper phones with rubberised cases that get put out the way when working.

Edited by coldel

I'm a full-on, self-confessed Apple iWhore

I am with Dan on this point ^^ . . but I don't generally wear watches, the last time I did; I wore a watch for nearly two weeks and did not even realize the battery was flat :lol:

As great and amazing I think the tech is . . . it would be a waste of money for me. Unless I start running half marathons :boxing:

Like Tim said yesterday: "I’ve been wanting to do this since I was 5 years old, the day is finally here!", StarTrek stuff is here, you can speak to somebody by raising your hand :lol:

This however would be a cool reason to get one. B)

Looking at this again (yes, I'm desperately trying to give myself a reason to buy one), there's more cool but every day stuff you can use this for:

Control of an ATV

Remote for the camera on iPhone

Quick sat nav using Siri whilst driving (this could be VERY useful)

Looking at this again (yes, I'm desperately trying to give myself a reason to buy one), there's more cool but every day stuff you can use this for:

Control of an ATV

Remote for the camera on iPhone

Quick sat nav using Siri whilst driving (this could be VERY useful)

Man Math kicking in here a treat :thumbs:

• Like 1

I want one .......must resist

I need one .......must resist

Pre order on 10th April ..... must resist

Can't resist no more :lol:

It's no good I can't resist any longer, been watching and reading on Internet, receiving notifications daily of new rumours and possible updates and now after watching the unveil event last night and then getting confirmation on uk prices this morning I said to myself I'd show a bit of self control but I can't resist I MUST HAVE ONE :yahoo:

Just spoken to the better half and I know it seems a lot of money but it will make me very happy and you can't put a price on happiness :teeth: so I'm going to stop trying to resist and get one when they go on sale, stainless steel 42mm with Milanese loop or the leather loop is the one I want so hopefully I'll be able to pre order on 10th April and get it on launch day 24th April, just in time for my birthday at end of April :yahoo:

Edited by tatooandy67
  • Like 1

They do look really nice and I'm sure it'd be useful for a while, but 2 things initially put me off...

1. Battery life... as if I want another device to chare every day, especially a watch.

2. I don't want to buy an iPhone.

.... and you can't put a price on happiness :teeth:

Must try that one....

The tech in this watch is pretty fancy including the heart rate monitor using LED+infra red....a bit like a medical pulse oximeter.

When I go cycling/running these days, I use a Polar heart rate monitor, which for those who don't know makes you look like a irresistible sexy beast a bit like this guy (but I tend to keep my T shirt on) :lol: :lol:

RowerWearingHeartRateMonitorOnModelD.jpg

Now £300 on an watch to stop me from looking a dork is surely with worth it....oh and the whole 'happiness is priceless' stuff ;)

• Like 1

That's a good point: Whilst people are okay with changing a phone every couple of years, no-one does that with watches and it's crazy to think that people would consider doing that.

To be fair, there was a time when you wouldn't even change a phone (handset) as often as every couple of years.

The sceptical, devout anti-Applist voice in my head is currently screaming; just wait until Apple tells everyone they need a new watch ever year or two and watch the sheep come flocking. Granted that may be a somewhat skewed outlook, but you have to admit with Apple it could well happen (to an extent at least).

On the topic of tradesmen people of all genders; I know many who wont take their smartphones onto a work site (unless it's the work's phone!). Almost all of them still use those indestructible Nokia handsets for phone calls when on site because their "proper" phones are too expensive to risk. I can't see them taking the same chances with a several hundred pounds worth of watch to be honest. Although that's not to say no one will, of course. :lol:

To be fair, there was a time when you wouldn't even change a phone (handset) as often as every couple of years.

The sceptical, devout anti-Applist voice in my head is currently screaming; just wait until Apple tells everyone they need a new watch ever year or two and watch the sheep come flocking. Granted that may be a somewhat skewed outlook, but you have to admit with Apple it could well happen (to an extent at least).

On the topic of tradesmen people of all genders; I know many who wont take their smartphones onto a work site (unless it's the work's phone!). Almost all of them still use those indestructible Nokia handsets for phone calls when on site because their "proper" phones are too expensive to risk. I can't see them taking the same chances with a several hundred pounds worth of watch to be honest. Although that's not to say no one will, of course. :lol:

Yep not a chance, it will get scratched in some shape or form within a week and that will be that. Most people I know in those trades have the older phones with work numbers separate to personal numbers.

When I first got a mobile must be 15 years ago now, I changed yearly when 12 month contracts were the norm - actually only changing every two years seems somewhat odd. The scary thing with these watches is that they will be out of date in terms of hardware within 12 months no problem given the speed of change.

Buying this because of the heart rate/health options is really not a sensible choice, given the multitude of devices out there at a fraction of the cost that do exactly that - yes they arent Apple, but I dont think I could justify that sort of money just for a heart rate monitor?

I can see absolutely no use for one of these, Im an admitted apple fanboy, i have an iPhone, iPad, macbook pro and I'm not in the slightest bit interested.

Minimum £300 for nothing that my phone won't do, the only benefit being i get to leave my phone in my pocket when it rings, maybe I'm being shortsighted in its possibilities. also the feature 'you've been sat on your arse too long' thats not going to get old much.

now I've finished moaning, if any of you buy one and don't have the mickey mouse watch face then you need to have a good long hard look at yourselves ;)

Typical apple of the last few years - copy what everyone else is doing, do it (usually) worse and charge double. But it's ok because the isheep will buy it!

Show me another smart watch that does *everything* the Apple Watch does.