Apple watch

tatooandy67

My neighbour got one and decided to sell it after a day, the idea that it 'saves' him any time of effort instead of reaching for your pocket for your phone is absurd and I have to agree.

Clearly Apple would like to see us do away with phones and the tech is miniturised to fit in a watch is their objective but at the moment it is just an extra screen for your phone from what I can see and would I spend that money on the thing, not really. My neighbour is CEO of a large energy firm, he easily afford this early market tech and he is an Apple fan but felt it was a waste of money.

I fully agree with him, it's a gimmick nothing more. Something I'd expect of samsung not apple.

I won't be buying one, I'd rather save £500 and go to the great hardship of taking my phone from my pocket.

My neighbour got one and decided to sell it after a day..

Without getting into whether or not a day is a reasonable amount of time to make a decision like that, I wonder what it was that he was expecting from it, that it didn't deliver? It's not like the features are a secret and you get it home and find out you can't watch TV on it :dry:

... it is just an extra screen for your phone from what I can see..

It is very much a 'terminal' for your phone, all the proper config is done on the phone app and once it's out of bluetooth range, 90% of what's smart about it disappears. Though in my world that means it still works by the printer and on the bog :lol:

RickyZ From what Coldel's said you can see that it's not going to be something for everyone. I would suggest eyeing it in person but purchasing it online - you should get a "distance selling" 14 day cooling off period then, so you've got a reasonable amount of time to weigh up and you don't even need a reason to return it. No point in selling it 2nd hand if you can have all your money back with no quibbles.

• Like 1

A few of my colleagues have got them, two of which had had to have them replaced as they died unexpectedly.

What your colleagues died unexpectedly or the watches? :scare:

Both. His Mrs' opened the credit card bill and beat him to death with his new, unauthorised purchase...

• Like 3

After much anticipation and Internet trawling, avidly following the lead up to the launch of the Apple watch I originally pre ordered the SS + Milanese loop on April 10th but cancelled my order shortly after launch day because I read several hyped up internet tales of it not working with tattooed people (I'm very heavily tattooed) and I thought £600 for a smart watch that wouldn't work due to my tats was to say at the least very disappointing :( but after lots more internet research and a visit to my local Apple Store where I had a very long chat/try on session with a heavily tattooed Apple worker who let me try out his watch rather than the store watches which are in demo mode, it quickly became apparent to me that the only restrictions I faced due to my tats was the hr monitor wouldn't work correctly (which I was already aware) meaning some of the fitness aspects won't work very well and the wrist detection would need to be disabled rendering Apple pay useless for me (which I have no interest in) other than that all other functions seemed to work ok, all notifications etc came through and all seemed well so I re ordered, but after spending time looking at all the options I decided to go for the space grey sport and added the black leather loop as imo that combination is :cloud9:

So after having to endure what seemed like an eternity waiting I've finally got my dispatch notification and should get my new toy in the next day or so and I can't wait :yahoo:

If it's something that appeals to you then go for it (I'm a big Apple fan, a watch fan and a gadget fan so it ticks plenty of boxes for me)

It's a gen 1 product that will undoubtedly be improved over time but imo it's totally worth it, but as others have stated try it and if you're not completely satisfied you have 14 days to return it :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I loved the day my mobile phone replaced my wristwatch as a timepiece, I absolutely hated wearing a watch.

The last thing I want now is another wrist piece. I'm assuming it replaces the need to carry a phone?

Unfortunately not at the moment, Apple watch needs to be tethered to an iPhone right now so it's more of an accessory than a replacement, I love watches of all shapes and sizes so for me it's a great timepiece as well as a functional accessory to my phone, unnecessary maybe, but at the same time completely essential if it floats your boat, I'm a big fan so all the justification I needed was....... I liked it, I wanted it, I got it x2 :)

• Like 1

.W.hen they were first announced I couldn't wait, I got very excited :yahoo:

.A.nd then there was the unfortunate development regarding tattoos shortly after launch, it was tagged as tattoogate :angry:

.T.hen it transpired tattoogate was greatly exaggerated, so watch was re ordered :)

.C.hecking daily followed as I was a late order I had to deal with the long, long, long wait for delivery :(

.H.appy now as I have my shiny, shiny new toy and could not be more pleased :teeth:

Edited by tatooandy67

Well I had a nice dinner this evening certainly not pointless as food is essential to making the most of our meaningless existence lol. A wrist gadget is pointless to me as I don't have a need or indeed find any pleasure or fun in it.Like I said if it's your thing fill your boots I'm happy for you, honestly :)

• Like 1

Like I said if it's your thing fill your boots I'm happy for you, honestly :)

No, you're not, you're just trying to be patronising, that's all :p

Don't you start matey, just get those Cats sorted. All this cash I've spent on car bits recently could have bought me a watch! :)

I came close to buying one of these but I really like juggling my watches and wearing the same one 24/7 would bore me so I decided against it in the end. I think the price is a bit expensive but not too bad considering the materials used, technology involved and quality of the finish.

• 4 weeks later...

Well the time of doubt is over, today I found the greatest reason to have an apple watch.

In a particularly tedious meeting about Agile methodologies and how they can be applied to Business Critical services, I was able to overlay the periodic heart rate mesurements from my apple watch against my activity in my Outlook calendar. By checking the meeting time and scope I can predict with a high degree of scientific accuracy which subjects make my p!ss boil. I can further extrapolate from the meeting attendees in Outlook, specifically which idiots I deal with that make my p!ss boil the most.

This may be the first known measure of colleague idiocy that can be applied to a working environment :lol:

• Like 3