Apple watch

tatooandy67

Well the time of doubt is over, today I found the greatest reason to have an apple watch.

In a particularly tedious meeting about Agile methodologies and how they can be applied to Business Critical services, I was able to overlay the periodic heart rate mesurements from my apple watch against my activity in my Outlook calendar. By checking the meeting time and scope I can predict with a high degree of scientific accuracy which subjects make my p!ss boil. I can further extrapolate from the meeting attendees in Outlook, specifically which idiots I deal with that make my p!ss boil the most.

This may be the first known measure of colleague idiocy that can be applied to a working environment :lol:

I don't need an apple watch for that... If the meeting has attendees other than anusual core of colleagues who I have total respect for I know it's going to boil :lol:

Still not convinced to get one......yet :)

• Like 1

Spent a week trying one out (we got a load in the innovation/digital team here so nicked one) and can say, even as an Apple fanboy, its not worth it in the slightest for me.

Apps are painfully slow, its nothing more than a big digital watch when the phone is out of range and generally for things like calls and texts the larger screen on a phone is just quicker and easier point to point (ie the time I save not having to go through the whole process of removing my phone from my pocket vs raising my wrist to my ear etc).

Clearly this is v1 and v5 will probably be a stand alone slimline watch with the phone done away with but thats when I will sink my money in, doing it now is a waste of money and you will find your watch out of date very soon with the subsequent updates (although stick it in the cupboard and wait ten years it will be worth something).

i wonder if the release of apple pay will help it... it can be used on the underground which is a good bonus!

Again I really cannot see the advantage of using your watch over your phone, it might save a second, or two. My life is really not so busy I cant get my phone out.

Amazing thing is that people are getting so excited about Apple Pay, when I was living in Japan back in 2006 I used my mobile phone all the time to GPS my way around and to pay for food/travel etc - amazing that its taken a decade for the western world to catch up.

i wonder if the release of apple pay will help it... it can be used on the underground which is a good bonus!

Again I really cannot see the advantage of using your watch over your phone, it might save a second, or two. My life is really not so busy I cant get my phone out.

Or the advantage over a contactless credit/debit/Oyster card for that matter. Especially in the example of the London Underground...

I just don't "get" it either. :shrug:

Tried to enable Apple Pay, Barclays is not ready yet :(

I'm in the same boat as you being a Barclays customer, I don't think there going to be working on it for a while as they have not long bought out there Bpay wristband, dongle and sticker which isn't as good as you still have to add money into a holding account to use it instead of it coming straight from your account. I'd rather see apple pay personally

Or the advantage over a contactless credit/debit/Oyster card for that matter. Especially in the example of the London Underground...

lazyness!! but don't get me wrong. I am not keen at all on them.

I can see that the idea is that everything can be done on one device, and I can see that having that device on your wrist rather than something that is in your pocket is more convenient - but v1 of Apple Watch is a complete waste of money as it is not device independent which is the whole point, it doesnt create convenience. Clearly Apple will rely on people daft enough to fork out to keep it going until they can make it workable, but you will always be stuck with the tiny screen so I cant see it replace the phone altogether...

I can see that the idea is that everything can be done on one device, and I can see that having that device on your wrist rather than something that is in your pocket is more convenient - but v1 of Apple Watch is a complete waste of money as it is not device independent which is the whole point, it doesnt create convenience. Clearly Apple will rely on people daft enough to fork out to keep it going until they can make it workable, but you will always be stuck with the tiny screen so I cant see it replace the phone altogether...

agree. would be interesting to see some more reviews from the likes of tattoandy and co who have had theirs for some time now

Is tattoandy going to beat me up now for saying he is potentially daft :scare:

Everyone said iPhone would fail, same with iPad, but it didnt - but I can see the USP - with the watch at the moment it doesnt have that clear USP. Also interesting to see Google Glass come back up on the news today, but B2B only not consumer (sure Google Glass was meant to convert the way people live completely!)

Is tattoandy going to beat me up now for saying he is potentially daft :scare:

Everyone said iPhone would fail, same with iPad, but it didnt - but I can see the USP - with the watch at the moment it doesnt have that clear USP. Also interesting to see Google Glass come back up on the news today, but B2B only not consumer (sure Google Glass was meant to convert the way people live completely!)

yep, my view is that technology and "digital agencies" are trying to push certain things onto the consumer such as google glass, iwatch, keyless entry amongst others when it just isn't needed just yet. i think we are some time off a fully integrated world where things like the iWatch would take off...

I'm a Barclays man too, so I just set it up with my Amex instead.

I used apple pay on the tube last weekend, it was amazeballz.

BUT I'm not a London regular, so it only saved me queuing behind 300 chinese students at the ticket machine. This scenario is obviously a very limited use case :lol:

However, the oyster thing is on the right, and I wear my watch on the left, so I just used my phone and thumbprint to applepay. It worked quickly and felt futuristic. If I was a London regular I wouldn't bother with an oyster card now, the phone was dead easy to use and one less thing in my wallet and never needs topping up. However, using it on my left handed watch would be a minor exercise in contortion :lol:

Edited by SuperStu

BUT I'm not a London regular, so it only saved me queuing behind 300 chinese students at the ticket machine. This scenario is obviously a very limited use case :lol:

However, the oyster thing is on the right, and I wear my watch on the left, so I just used my phone and thumbprint to applepay. It worked quickly and felt futuristic. If I was a London regular I wouldn't bother with an oyster card now, the phone was dead easy to use and one less thing in my wallet and never needs topping up. However, using it on my left handed watch would be a minor exercise in contortion :lol:

You can just use your contactless debit card too - I go into london all the time and just use that - no extra or less hassle than using a phone.

• Like 1

You can just use your contactless debit card too - I go into london all the time and just use that - no extra or less hassle than using a phone.

Contactless is good, but I do find it easier to get my phone out than a contactless card as they're in my wallet, also my Amex isn't contactless and I use it the most because it has the best benefits. Obviously that's not the same for everyone though. I wouldn't suggest for a minute that it's best for everyone, but it's a very quick and easy way for me to pay. Given the absence of security on contactless cards, I would now prefer none of mine to be contactless and simply use my phone which requires my fingerprint.

Still can't justify it, went in Covent Garden store the other weekend and had a look at those, after 30 seconds I got bored and left. :|

I looked at Bluewater other day too and had same experience, like oooooh wow, then 30 seconds after.... hmmm just does all the stuff my phone does except I have to have my phone in my pocket so why not use that?

Also was surprised how big and fat it is, no doubt the iWatch3 Air will be much slimmer, faster, better battery........ etc etc etc

That's what I'm holding out for. I want to see what V2 does that V1 doesn't, and where they think they can go with it. If there's no other killer app for it by then, then I can't see me ever buying one.