Apple watch

tatooandy67

Have you been thinking that reply up for an entire month?! :p:lol:

It might have the same function, but watches are more about style than function these days. It's interesting to see what smartwatches can do to try and reverse that trend.

Have you been thinking that reply up for an entire month?! :p:lol:

It might have the same function, but watches are more about style than function these days. It's interesting to see what smartwatches can do to try and reverse that trend.

Yeah I get that people see watches as jewellery and status symbols, as someone said already I haven't worn a watch since I got my first Nokia mobile maybe 15/16 years ago and an extremely overpriced, pointless gadget however pretty isn't going to change that...

All smartphones were seen as pointless until the iPhone came out and people realised just how they could enrich their lives.

I'm not convinced that smartwatches are even aimed at people that don't wear watches, not really. I wear a watch because it adds a bit of bling to my arm and so I don't have to pull my phone out of my pocket just to check the time when I'm out and about. Give me a bit of tech that can enhance that in a way I find meaningful and I'll buy it: I just don't think the Apple Watch is there for me right now.

I am amazed that people really do buy into marketing done by companies that make you believe that it is such a hassle to take a phone out of a pocket, or remove a contactless card from a wallet. Our lives are just not THAT busy.

I have no doubt that the Apple watch will become an essential device in the near future, specially with the HealthKit and once they include 4G comms in it, to make it independent off iPhone. It has a great potential, like life saving situation: blood pressure, diabetes, collect live data to fight against Parkinson, Alzheimer, set up automatic GP appointments, and so many others. It wont be long, it's already doing a lot, with the help of many universities and research labs.

Remove phone from pocket to check time, then replace: 4 secs (I just timed it!).

Move wrist to see time: 1 sec

How many times a day do I check the time? Let's call it once an hour. Multiply that by 16 and you get 64 secs and 16 secs respectively. Over a week that's 448 and 112, then a year it's 23360 and 5840.

In ONE YEAR, you spend nearly 6.5 HOURS just checking the time on a phone, compared to 1.5 hours if you have a watch. That's a spare 5 hours you have to do, well, anything you want really. Okay, so I've just made the case for wearing a watch and not for wearing a smartwatch, but still...

I have no doubt that the Apple watch will become an essential device in the near future

Essential? Really? As in you can't possibly survive without one? I sincerely doubt that, that will ever be the case.

Considerably more desirable I'll give you, but essential? Never.

Remove phone from pocket to check time, then replace: 4 secs (I just timed it!).

Move wrist to see time: 1 sec

How many times a day do I check the time? Let's call it once an hour. Multiply that by 16 and you get 64 secs and 16 secs respectively. Over a week that's 448 and 112, then a year it's 23360 and 5840.

In ONE YEAR, you spend nearly 6.5 HOURS just checking the time on a phone, compared to 1.5 hours if you have a watch. That's a spare 5 hours you have to do, well, anything you want really. Okay, so I've just made the case for wearing a watch and not for wearing a smartwatch, but still...

You could just spend less time, checking the time? Simply check the time first thing in the morning then every hour when you get the urge, add 1 :)

...and presume that was tongue in cheek in terms of claiming you have 5 hours spare to do something!

Edited by coldel

"All wristjobs are as insecure as $#@%, reveals unsurprising research":

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/24/100_per_cent_of_smart_watches_security_flaws_hp/

I love these pieces. "Shock as password protected, remotely wipeable device is not secure, unlike traditional wallet cash card combo" :lol: the other day was it, "driverless cars hacked in shocker", as if car jacking or people simply driving into stuff as per Glasgow bin men isn't already a thing :lol: