Why do people hate on the 350z???

rjohnson1993

someone please close this thread

Why? People have different opinions, thats what makes life interesting.

Maybe its because, like me, he can't stand seeing that americanised bastard verb, "to hate on". Just my opinion.

Exactly! If people want this arguments just search the forum because it's on here weekly!! :)

I think writing off every FWD car because its FWD is a bit foolish. You can hardly say the 350z is a great handling car and very chuckable. Its been mentioned a million times before, its a cruiser, a GT car, horses for courses. My old VX220 would utterly destroy my 350z on track, but it was hard work on those motorway runs! Having a bit of fun on small B roads, I am sure the Clios of this world are lots of fun, why do you need 300bhp and RWD when most of the time you are turning in and hardly ever using all that power?

Given the roads I mostly drive on RWD suits me, but pretty sure as we have seen on here, FWD is the way forwards for others!

I think writing off every FWD car because its FWD is a bit foolish. You can hardly say the 350z is a great handling car and very chuckable. Its been mentioned a million times before, its a cruiser, a GT car, horses for courses. My old VX220 would utterly destroy my 350z on track, but it was hard work on those motorway runs! Having a bit of fun on small B roads, I am sure the Clios of this world are lots of fun, why do you need 300bhp and RWD when most of the time you are turning in and hardly ever using all that power?

Given the roads I mostly drive on RWD suits me, but pretty sure as we have seen on here, FWD is the way forwards for others!

Shortly after i got my 350 i posted about a trip i took to catch up with a friend, a, b and m roads and was pleasantly surprised at how well it dealt with all of them, personally i feel the 350 is much more than just a gt car, it does everything well and there in lies it biggest attribute for me! Stick in on a track and it will hold its own, of course it wont be faster than a Vx thats designed for that kind of work, but in general its a very very capable car, not just a cruiser imho!

Depends on what you have driven. I had a VW Scirocco 1.4TSi better in the twisties than the Zed, my 18 year old R33 is faster in a straight line than the zed. I think the zed is pretty average in the grand scheme of things, its does lots of things 'pretty' well, but none really well. There are cars that sit on the extremes better. For me, of all the cars I have owned the Zed worked really well on big A roads and on motorways with lazy power. Anyone that thinks its a great B road machine clearly hasn't driven something that does b roads properly... :)

• Like 2

firstly " to hate on" is a phrasal verb, secondly it is originally English unlike to have a "stiff upper lip" which is actually an Americanism! who'd've thunk it? ;)

Technically, 'to hate on' may be a phrasal verb, but it's not a good one. In fact, it's a very poor one, as it's tautological - the word 'on' is always superfluous when conjoined to the verb 'to hate'. You may be right about its origins, but currently it's inextricably linked to loud, young American culture. I just hate on it.

5.8 0 to 60 and 155mph, not sure i would class that as pretty average in the grand scheme of things,

You guys should try driving a few normal cars and wannabe hot hatches to find out just how quick a zed actually is.

• Like 5

5.8 0 to 60 and 155mph, not sure i would class that as pretty average in the grand scheme of things,

You guys should try driving a few normal cars and wannabe hot hatches to find out just how quick a zed actually is.

That's the problem though, reading the figures of paper do not give you the truth about how a car drives. Let's take an old Ford Fiesta, stick a big engine and turbo in it and now that does 0 - 60 in 5 seconds and 150mph. Would you then be happy to say this is not average any longer?

As has already been pointed out, much slower cars on paper like the Renaultsport Clio's and MX5's can be far more involving and rewarding to drive. Take a Lotus Elise, 0 - 60 in 5.5 and only a top speed of 120mph. You won't find a car much better for handling and driver focused for the money. It's not all about the figures on paper to decide how good a car is.

• Like 1

Back to the original question.....cos they can and do and have probably never driven one! And having cut my teeth driving wise in a 1959 Lotus Elite that went round corners like it was on rails and my other half insisted I drive it well like a geezer sooo 40 years on the 350zed is just brilliant for me! Powerful sounds great looks great and solid not skittish. Whatsoever floats your boat comes to mind!😇#onehappybunny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Shortly after i got my 350 i posted about a trip i took to catch up with a friend, a, b and m roads and was pleasantly surprised at how well it dealt with all of them, personally i feel the 350 is much more than just a gt car, it does everything well and there in lies it biggest attribute for me! Stick in on a track and it will hold its own, of course it wont be faster than a Vx thats designed for that kind of work, but in general its a very very capable car, not just a cruiser imho!

Depends on what you have driven. I had a VW Scirocco 1.4TSi better in the twisties than the Zed, my 18 year old R33 is faster in a straight line than the zed. I think the zed is pretty average in the grand scheme of things, its does lots of things 'pretty' well, but none really well. There are cars that sit on the extremes better. For me, of all the cars I have owned the Zed worked really well on big A roads and on motorways with lazy power. Anyone that thinks its a great B road machine clearly hasn't driven something that does b roads properly... :)

have to agree with this i've had faster cars and cars that handled better and my alfa's had the most fantastic interiors but there is one thing the z does really well it puts a really silly grin on my face when i drive it
  • Like 1

Hot Clios are ace. Anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong.

I still wouldn't buy one as my fun car, but that doesn't make them anything other than brilliant.

I bought a Clio 182 Trophy, supposedly the best hot clio. I sold it after 2 weeks. The driving position was terrible, seats weren't very supportive, the engine had no torque and the top of the Rev range didn't have enough bite to make up for this. Gear change was crap and it sounded like a fart. I really dont understand the fuss, it gave me no feeling that I was in a proper performance car at all.

I find the 350z really involving on a B road, great sound and handling balance and feel are great despite its weight. I have had plenty of "drivers" cars, DC2s, Impreza Type R and many more and I really put the 350 up there with them. Maybe the people who think they can't do track/B road work haven't had decent tyres,brakes,Geo? Sorting those out has really transformed my car!

• Like 1

They cant afford it, thats why i guess :))

The Z is hardly expensive to buy and run

We must have a different view on what's expensive! To be fair judging by the cars in your sig you make more than the average Joe anyway. Compared to a "normal" car the Z is very expensive to run in my opinion.

• Like 1

Hot Clios are ace. Anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong.

I still wouldn't buy one as my fun car, but that doesn't make them anything other than brilliant.

I bought a Clio 182 Trophy, supposedly the best hot clio. I sold it after 2 weeks. The driving position was terrible, seats weren't very supportive, the engine had no torque and the top of the Rev range didn't have enough bite to make up for this. Gear change was crap and it sounded like a fart. I really dont understand the fuss, it gave me no feeling that I was in a proper performance car at all.

That's very surprising although I don't think 2 weeks is really giving it much of a chance. Really surprised at some of your comments. I loved how you got the surge of power mid rev band as the cams change and mine just kept pulling. The gearbox I thought was great and probably nicer than the Civic EP3. I get the driving position comment though and I think you will find it hard to find any 172/182 owner who wouldn't agree with you :lol:

Possibly I didn't give it enough of a chance but I just couldn't get on with it. I was expecting the 2.0 in that chassis to feel pretty Damn fast but it just didn't. I just thought the DC2 had it beaten in every area, felt like an event to drive that. I think that bar stool driving position just wound me up from the start and the gear stick throw was too long but I suppose felt ok in a french way. I just don't think it was for me, though their popularity can't be denied!

Possibly I didn't give it enough of a chance but I just couldn't get on with it. I was expecting the 2.0 in that chassis to feel pretty Damn fast but it just didn't. I just thought the DC2 had it beaten in every area, felt like an event to drive that. I think that bar stool driving position just wound me up from the start and the gear stick throw was too long but I suppose felt ok in a french way. I just don't think it was for me, though their popularity can't be denied!

Compared to the DC2 then yes it would feel a bit sedate. The DC2 is very raw and very driver focused, some even say one of the best FWD cars ever made so the Clio would been on a back foot. I went from a Clio 172 to an EP3 and despite the EP3 being wonderful and setup for track, it felt dull and soulless. Great on track but very bland. I missed the feedback and engagement I had with the Clio. I've now moved to a DC5 and it is incredible. Totally chalk and cheese compared to the EP3.

Would love a 172 cup for a cheap track car :)

Look through my car history If you want to see what I have owned. I never said the Zed was great on b roads either, i said it was good at everything and more than just a gt car, maybe its just in the ability to get the best out of it ;)

Put a std R33Gts against a 350z and there would be nothing In it in a straight line, so i dont really get your point that an easily tuned turbo car Is faster in a straight line?

They cant afford it, thats why i guess :))

The Z is hardly expensive to buy and run

We must have a different view on what's expensive! To be fair judging by the cars in your sig you make more than the average Joe anyway. Compared to a "normal" car the Z is very expensive to run in my opinion.

Clearly :)

Careful Col if you speak too much truth you will get labelled a Zed hater like me ;)

A Zed is a big old heavy bruiser cruiser, as you say not the best at anything really but good at everything so a great package :)

Sent from the golf club...

• Like 2

No car does everything perfectly or if it does its out of most peoples price range. I found the zed a bit of a let down, not the cars fault, I think my expectations were higher than what it could actually deliver.

What frustrated me was the exterior looked expensive, but the interior plastics were a major let down,

The stock engine note was lack lustre, and even with exhausts and intakes it never made the best sound, it made a good sound, but I had better noises from some modded 4 pots. The driving position put my hip out, the pedals were poorly set for heel and toe, and a whole list of other niggles

By the time I sold it I had fallen well out of love, its strongest feature was the club.

Cars are like Cinderella slippers, not all fit everybody, what works for one is crap for another. When you come out of the security of a club forum, you may find that there are more out there who the zed doesn't fit. Doesn't make them wrong or you right, it just means its not their cup of tea.

This threads as useful as tits on a bull!

• Like 3

By the time I sold it I had fallen well out of love

The perfect comment! No one would keep a car they didnt enjoy and when they find something they like more or suits them better they move on.

I had exactly the same with the Rx7's I owned, I tried other cars but kept coming back to them as nothing put the same kind of smile on my face, until I bought a 350. The Rx7 is faster (tuned) handles better, arguably better looking, but 95% of the time I know where I would prefer to be and thats in a 350, its just a much nicer place to be.

I am under no illusion there are better cars given a particular criteria, but as a complete package they tick the boxes, which leads nicely back to the op's original post, no one would be jealous or a hater if they were anything but desirable. :)

• Like 1

I actually still loved my zed when I sold it, sold due to loss of jobs within our household within quick succession. So It wasn't that I fell out of love with it, its just that I have experienced a fair few cars since and like to think when discussing characteristics such as Power, or Handling, then I can rank it alongside a few other cars I have owned an/or driven. I would have to say as Zeds are so cheap nowadays they are falling into the hands of people that own in order a Fiesta 1.1, Focus 1.6 then a 350z - I can imagine to those owners it does feel amazing - and for the money it is, but in relative terms of other cars that are out there, it has plenty of competitors that beat it on many aspects.

But its all opinion - and way off topic :lol:

Just for the record, I still love Zeds, I loved my Zed and I still get excited when I ride shotgun in someones Zed :teeth:

• Like 1

In answer to the original question; I believe some ppl hate the Zed because they don't actually know what they're looking at. There are so many twats out there with there silly little bad boy cars that a passer by can't distinguish between the two. I think the Zed looks and sounds great but If you were to compare with an Audi TT for eg, there aren't many Zed's out there which in my opinion further highlights the problem.

Good banter folks

All about choices though, what ticks the right boxes at the right time

I must be getting old, hot hatches just don't do it for me, ugly boxes most of them (imo)

As for performance, I would suggest those who have trackday/racing experience would be best to listen to, thinking you are the dogs danglies on the local A or B road is totally different to BEING quick on a track

Rob

• Like 1

Put a std R33Gts against a 350z and there would be nothing In it in a straight line, so i dont really get your point that an easily tuned turbo car Is faster in a straight line?

Standard GTS is 130hp mate, I dont think so ;)

Standard GTS is 130hp mate, I dont think so ;)

What drugs are you taking ?