Why do people hate on the 350z???

rjohnson1993

I think it's to do with people being ill informed, believing all they read and peer pressure. I was listening to a group of people the other day discussing second hand cars and they came to the conclusion that you can't buy a decent second hand car for less than £11k. I nearly burst out laughing. My Elise is £8k, my MX5 was £650 and my DC5 was £6k. You could get an amazing 350z for £6k and an out of this world one for £11k. Saying that, they all seemed to be obsessed with owning either an Audi or BMW and were competing against who has the best.

I mentioned to my nephew who is a bit car mad that I was thinking about a 350z and he said, oh pretty slow and unreliable?? This is all based on what he read. Just crazy. He also had an amazing Evo 6 but sold it for a BMW as all his mates have them. So sad.

I was told never by a Scooby as they eat tyres, drink fuel and blow up. I've had my Scooby WRX 5 year, done 40k miles, 3 sets of tyres, get 27 mpg and has been bullit proof.

I was told never buy an Elise as they are so unreliable as hell. Well, 8 years later and various track days, it's still going strong.

It's all just rubbish. If you like the car, then that's all that matters.

• Like 2

The question is often asked on many forums, what car would you have for "x", unless the figure increased quite substantially i would still have a 350, there are many other cars i would like, but dont think they would tick as many boxes for me.

I do agree with forum rose tinted glasses though, so many times on the Rx7 forum discussions over things like Gallardos, Astons, Posrches etc etc everyone would say, wouldnt have them i prefer my Rx7, lol. Put a Gallardo on my drive and the Zed would go without a moments hesitation.

But with the budget currently available to me, there isnt a car i would prefer, otherwise i would have it :)

• Like 2

why do people completely hate on the 350z?

I guess everyone has pet hates when it comes to cars. Mine would be the Subaru, ugly as sin and around here they all seem to be driven by shaven headed guys in their late 20's and 30's who think they are on The RAC Rally every time they go out :shrug: .

Pete

• Like 2

I have had all these comments recently. Someone couldn't believe I spent 11k on one. I could have got a M3 for that money, I was told. Well for starters a M3 has too many seats, I sold my megane sport as it was too practical for a weekend car.

Having only owned the car for under a week and done about 500 miles. I absolutely love the thing. The noise it makes sounds like it coming from something a lot more expensive than a Nissan. The amount of heads it turns wherever I'm driving it and the massive grin on my face make it the best 11k I have spent.

Jelous ****ers I think!

• Like 6

You can't get this much fun out of a FWD hot-hatch.

:yawn: Literally two posts before yours you have someone talking about preconceptions and how wrong they can be. Drive a sorted Clio 182 Cup, a Megane RS and a GTI-6 and come back and tell me that.

The fact you can buy two of those cars for the price of a decent set of tyres for the Zed also says something ;)

• Like 1

people assume they cost a fourtune, just had 3 people (at work) tell me how lovely/beautiful!! :teeth::blush: my 370z is, people dont realise you actually get a lot of car for relaltively little money, because its a two seater (suits me my lads all now drive) its MPH aint great! (suit sme as I only do 6/7k miles per year.. :D

:yawn: Literally two posts before yours you have someone talking about preconceptions and how wrong they can be. Drive a sorted Clio 182 Cup, a Megane RS and a GTI-6 and come back and tell me that.

The fact you can buy two of those cars for the price of a decent set of tyres for the Zed also says something ;)

I have driven a GTI-6, Clio 172, 182 and 197 and all cracking cars, but I much prefer RWD cars. Personal preference.

I have driven a GTI-6, Clio 172, 182 and 197 and all cracking cars, but I much prefer RWD cars. Personal preference.

Are they "less fun" then? The Clios are a hoot, I cant get the smile off my face when driving one :teeth:

I wont lie, I prefer RWD particularly on track but for sheer smiles the little Frenchies are difficult to beat. MX5's and MR2's are also more fun than a Zed .......... and while that is "my opinion" I cant see how anyone could not agree. :)

• Like 1

I avoided added my reply as I didn't want to open a can of worms. However, I have been very fortunate to have owned and still have to drive a 4WD 300bhp Scooby, Lotus Elise S1, Integra Type R DC5, MX5 Mk1, Clio 172, track prep Civic Type R EP3. The car that is the most fun, enjoyable and gave the most feedback is the Clio 172. It handled amazing and feedback through the chassis and steering was sublime. The whole RWD is better than FWD argument is utter crap. You just need to know how to drive a FWD properly.

The above is not aimed at anyone in particular, just an opinion on some of the comments. Personally, I prefer FWD but I know thats a minority.

Edited by Linus27
  • Like 1

Linus, if I could like that post 10 times I would ;)

I used to be the most staunch anti-FWD bastard out there, the cars listed and a few more have totally changed my view of that ........... and Im a drifter as well.

"Fun" is in no way related to anything other than "fun", one of my best mates has an Exige but youll never see him smiling more than when hes caning his £150 1.1 Pug 106 "Zest" around trying to stay within 2mph of its top speed :lol:

• Like 1

350Z was cheap as chips when it came out and a big plus was a 3.5 V6 engine. Muscle car looks and rwd.

Yes, it and the 370 don't have silky motors that rev way high but then they are well priced.

FWD cars have come a long way, my Integra 2.0 was fantastic handling. As was my Focus RS.

I think writing off every FWD car because its FWD is a bit foolish. You can hardly say the 350z is a great handling car and very chuckable. Its been mentioned a million times before, its a cruiser, a GT car, horses for courses. My old VX220 would utterly destroy my 350z on track, but it was hard work on those motorway runs! Having a bit of fun on small B roads, I am sure the Clios of this world are lots of fun, why do you need 300bhp and RWD when most of the time you are turning in and hardly ever using all that power?

Given the roads I mostly drive on RWD suits me, but pretty sure as we have seen on here, FWD is the way forwards for others!

• Like 2

I think writing off every FWD car because its FWD is a bit foolish. You can hardly say the 350z is a great handling car and very chuckable. Its been mentioned a million times before, its a cruiser, a GT car, horses for courses. My old VX220 would utterly destroy my 350z on track, but it was hard work on those motorway runs! Having a bit of fun on small B roads, I am sure the Clios of this world are lots of fun, why do you need 300bhp and RWD when most of the time you are turning in and hardly ever using all that power?

Given the roads I mostly drive on RWD suits me, but pretty sure as we have seen on here, FWD is the way forwards for others!

Shortly after i got my 350 i posted about a trip i took to catch up with a friend, a, b and m roads and was pleasantly surprised at how well it dealt with all of them, personally i feel the 350 is much more than just a gt car, it does everything well and there in lies it biggest attribute for me! Stick in on a track and it will hold its own, of course it wont be faster than a Vx thats designed for that kind of work, but in general its a very very capable car, not just a cruiser imho!

• Like 1

Linus, if I could like that post 10 times I would ;)

I used to be the most staunch anti-FWD bastard out there, the cars listed and a few more have totally changed my view of that ........... and Im a drifter as well.

"Fun" is in no way related to anything other than "fun", one of my best mates has an Exige but youll never see him smiling more than when hes caning his £150 1.1 Pug 106 "Zest" around trying to stay within 2mph of its top speed :lol:

Hehe thank you :)

Just to add, I love understeer with a passion. I also love driving in the wet. Turning in early, letting a car understeer in to the apex and playing with the throttle trying to balance grip and wheel spin is just the most incredible feeling in the world.

As you say, doesn't need to be a quick car to make it fun. As Jackie Stewart once said, if a corner can only be taken at around 60mph and you have the slowest car, then you won't make time up in the straights but if you can take the corners faster than anyone else, then that's where you need to put your focus to make time up. I guess this is very true for the MX5 as it destroys much faster cars in the twisties but loses out big time on the straights.