996 Turbo (now with a few pics)

andyvvc

The Zed went last week. The replacement has been picked up. I'm still recovering from my drive home...the Zed was FAST but this thing on boost is.... :scare:

I'll try to get some pics and a better 'review' posted up in the coming days when I've driven her a little more. It feels a lot like the Zed off boost. Planted. Solid. Very responsive. Then the boost builds to a measly 0.6 bar and all hell breaks loose. I opted for a tip car not because i'm old, but because i was certain i wouldn't be able to respond quickly enough in lower gears. The acceleration is utterly savage. 0 - 30 its like my old Zed. Its very quick. 30+ on boost and i forgot to shift up the first few times - thankfully the tip did that for me - it's like nothing i have ever driven before.

If i still have a licence and eyeballs at the end of the week; pics and more detail will follow.

Anyone need a dedicated camera car at Wales 2014? :teeth:

Edited by andyvvc

You still both coming to wales Andy?

Still booked at The Moreton mate. Looking forward to seeing everyone again. I'll drop Graham and others a PM to discuss the drives out. I understand that club liability won't cover non-Zed cars, so being 'part' of a convoy might be a no-no. However, driving on ahead and getting pics at various spots should be ok.

Do we know any small, ginger-haired club members who might fit in the back of a 911? They'd need to have a good camera of course. Whassis name....thingy.......Chris.......T? Chris U? Chris V? Dammit, I can never remember his name ;)

• Like 1

Nice but Andy. It's awesome car. Get some pics up mate. Drove one a long time ago but gingerly but felt solid and handled well.

I've diced with a few on track but not really sure of the other drivers commitment or maybe I'm underestimating my zed😉

Good to see you in Wales.

A few pics after finally giving her a basic wash (still needs clay, Megs restorer then a wax). Also just discovered that for £200 at the local Indy Porsche garage, they can re-map the engine and increase boost pressure, taking the power from 414bhp to 500bhp. This is apparently the 'safe' limit for the standard turbos and intercoolers, beyond this and it needs new turbos, intercoolers, fuel pump etc etc

I'll be sticking with 414bhp for now. "Mod-itis" was supposed to have gone with my Zed! :lol:

20140315_110743a.jpg

20140315_110718a.jpg