996 Turbo (now with a few pics)

andyvvc

Who's doing the remap? That's a bit too cheap, IYSWIM. The Mezger is a solid lump, but it ain't cheap if it needs repairs.

Yeah fair comment mate. I'll have to re-check with Zentrum (they suggested it). I might have mis-quoted the price TBH.

Just by way of a brief update, I had my first brown-trouser moment today when the 'Oil Pressure Alert' warning flashed up on the dash, it bonged at me, then the oil pressure needle fell to zero......!!! Then 5 seconds later the needle was back again. I limped the car home after checking oil level etc (all ok - at max). Turns out the oil pressure senders are sh1te and usually need replacing every two years when they start to give false alerts like this lol

My mates got one of these - very nice cars. We remapped it from 418 to 455 - so pretty safe - drives a lot better with the extra boost :)

If i ever go down the remap route i will also need to remap my brain.... currently it's just not quick enough to keep up with what the standard Turbo can do :blush:

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update: 2,000 miles in less than 6 weeks lol! I'm slowly coming to terms with the fact that the car is 10 years old and needs 'bits' doing. Got my local Chips Away bloke out next week to sort some bumper scuffs and a small patch of laquer on the wing that's going (stone chipped) - thankfully the car is the standard Porsche Arctic Silver so they can mix up the official Porsche paint easily enough (the pearl effect ones are far harder). I've also just about got used to the interior of the car....and the laughable 'Car Phone' (think 1980's Miami Vice!)

She still needs to be clay barred again (last owner didn't really do much in that department!). Also need to polish and wax her...but she's getting there cosmetically.

I've replaced the Bose amp with a second-hand one after the subs started to play up. I'm also getting the front sway-bar arms replaced next week (slight clunk from the front over bad tarmac). Nothing costly yet thankfully. No coolant loss, and only used 500ml of oil in 2000 miles which is well within Porsche's recommended limit of 1000ml per 750 miles for the Mezger turbo engine lol!

CIMG1824a.jpg

CIMG1827a.jpg

CIMG1825a.jpg

CIMG1832b.jpg

20140315_110708c.jpg