rust bubbles on my front bonnet

Red_Nic

I had my front bumper and bonnet resprayed last year because of rust bubbles on the bonnet and stone chips on the bumper.

Looked really great when done.

This year I can see rust bubbles coming through on my bonnet again (on front edge where it meets bumper).

My car is 2004.

I imagine there is water hidden in the folded over edge of the bonnet, and that if i respray it, it will just rust back though again.

What are peoples experiences of bonnet rust bubbles?

Has anyone successfully repaired a bonnet?

Or is my only solution to buy a new bonnet and have it resprayed?

what price am I looking at for a new and a second hand bonnet and respray orange?

Thanks

Edited by Red_Nic

TBH if you have had it resprayed recently they didn't do a very good job.

They should have removed all the rust, treated the area then filled/resprayed. If I was you I would go back to the place you paid last year and complain!

• Like 1

Got the same corrosion issues on mine unfortunately. Get touch ups now and again but only long term solution is a new bonnet. Apparently the corrosion warranty is 12 years but as mentioned I think they insist an annual paint inspection must have been carried out, never tried asking them myself.

RT Performance Wembley will sort that right out and do a proper job for you. I know its a bit of a journey but it one that would be worthwhile. Sounds like whoever did the work didnt do the necessary prep becuase that should never of happened.

Good luck sorting it out.

Payco

I tried the dealers in bury ... They were useless !!

Have also tried Ipswich with no joy

Seems to be a common problem with the bonnet and nissan don't wana know !

They had the cheek to tell me it was stone chips ?!?!?

Bonnet is alloy :thumbs:

Because it is aluminium alloy and so cant rust - it would be interesting to know whats causing the corrosion and how to repair it properly - arent there any paint experts out there?

Yes, strictly speaking rust is Iron Oxide.

Pete

Its just simple corrosion and it lifts the paint into a bubble. It's water ingress from somewhere (not electrolytic corrosion from steel to alloy) and then it carries just like on alloy wheels (best seen on diamond cut and lacquered like the LMGT4's). Nissan should really cover it but as it is coming up to the end of body warranty period and the fact that bonnets will have stone chips they get out of it.

If it comes from the seam on the bonnet folds you can use a seam sealer like sikaflex and them paint the bonnet and it should last a little longer.

I have had my bonnet painted once and issue never came back :thumbs:

• 1 year later...

Hi all, following on from this post about paint bubbles on my bonnet,

i have decided i want to buy a new bonnet and have it sprayed.

Can anyone point me in the direction of where to buy the best priced bonnet for a 2004 350Z bonnet? Do they even manufacture these still?

Or would someone recommend a scrap dealer with a non bubbley/rusty bonnet?

Im not interested in switching my rusty 11 year old bonnet for a 9 year bonnet that will rust again soonish.

what year did they stop making 350Z's ? im wondering what age a compatible bonnet could be?

thanks, Nic

If I were you, I'd go for the humpy bonnet from the HR if you're buying new. They look fit. Seemingly it's also the best value part your can actually buy from a Nissan dealer too. Worth ringing your local for a quote.

"humpy bonnet from the HR"

where do i look for this?

this will be classed as a mod on my car insurance wont it? higher premiums...

do you know if i can buy a new standard bonnet one?

i#d like to check out 3 options. 2nd hand bonnet, new standard bonnet, new modded bonnet.

thanks

I agree with superstu. Fit a hr model bonnet. They look great plus are the most recent and shouldnt affect your premium as its not really a modification unlike bigger wheels. Brakes. Engine tune . Exhaust etc. its just appearance.

Your bonnet probably looks this shape, with the two lines in the middle.

7DC67768-774D-46EE-97EA-4582639DA578_zpsp85rvhof.jpg

This is a humpy bonnet, with a big muscle car bulge in the middle.

36E96B25-0015-44CB-A5A9-ACBE7847AE73_zpssevpblxb.jpg

You can probably buy both by ringing up your local Nissan dealer and asking for a price. The sexy humpy one is for a 2007 model onward, but I believe it is a direct fit onto your 2004.

Do bear in mind it will need painting and some places may also suggest painting your wings and bumper so the colour match is good, but that depends on how good they are and how fussy you are about the colour match.

With regard to insurance counting it as a mod, it is a genuine Nissan part, but worth calling them first to check. Saves any nasty surprises if you're worried. Personally I would just fit it and not bother, but if you want to be certain, you should call them.

ZMANALEX might have a used one, maybe even in your colour if you're very lucky.

Edited by SuperStu

Chances are if you get a s/h bonnet the same rusting issue will arise.

Yes a HR bonnet will fit but will need painting and possibly 'blending' with the wings etc as some ^^^ have said. But as it sounds that mods are not high on your priority list I really feel you going to spend a LOT LOT more moey than having a quality repair done as R35 LEE says. But if it means a little travelling to be done for the right job so be it - one of the downside of living in a beautiful location that is miles from quality sprayshops. :shrug: Although maybe an ask on here (another thread) as to a good sprayshop near your part of the world might reveal a hidden gem ;)

The HR bonnet (bumpy one) fits perfectly. They around £270 from Nissan. Best idea would be to get them to deliver it to a bodyshop of your choice. If it is a non metallic colour (called a solid colour) then the chance is a good colour match so no need to blend into the wings. There will be no extra charge on your ins premium. This problem has happened as moisture has been trapped within the paint process. I would recommend you use a different paint shop next time should you go down the route of a new bonnet. :)

Try pm'ing zmanalex or clark motorsports. I'm sure they have sorted other forum members out in the past for HR bonnets. Just had my DE bonnet done during the respray as it had a few bubbles and a few boulder stone chips, so far so good.