Nissan won't honour their warranty - any ideas??

cpk

I bought my 350Z a couple of months ago and I'm very happy with it. I bought it knowing it needed some work doing to the bonnet (at the time I thought it had some stone chips that had bubbled up).

I took this in for a quote to a local well regarded bodyshop. The manager spotted the bubbles and a lot of corrosion underneath the seal (I'd not spotted this) and told me it was corrosion of the Aluminium bonnet and possibly still under warranty. He advised me to speak to my Dealer and to claim under warranty to save me the cost of paying him to do it (which was nice) - it's got a full dealer history.

I took the car to Hylton Nissan in Worcester. Their bodyshop manager looked at the corrosion and had a good poke about flaking back some of the paint and said, and I quote, “That is corrosion, caused due to a manufacturing error in the Aluminium, you’ll get a new bonnet for that. †At this point I was very happy and confident it would be rectified by Nissan’s warranty. Hylton put the claim through to Nissan. I heard back the next day from Hylton Nissan that the claim won't be honoured - it's a paint defect and that warranty expired 2 years ago (car is a 53 plate).

Anyway, I took some photos, got a 3rd opinion from another bodyshop (who also agrees corrosion) and sent the photos off to Nissan with a letter. They are sticking to their guns and not going to pay out. I did a search and understand someone else on the forum had a similar problem and got a new bonnet under warranty. They keep repeating it needs to have evidence of inside to outside perforation to be corrosion!? Nissan customer services also have evidence of the previous owner trying to claim and that was rejected 2 years ago!

Now where do I go!? I'm a bit stuck and looking for advice, when I bought the car I was expecting (and budgeted) to pay for the remedial work but now I've got this far I want to fight it - if manufacturer's have warranties they should honour them!!

Here is a link to some pics. Do people think it is corrosion? I'm no expert so can't 100% say it is, but then again neither is the guy on the end of the phone in customer services looking at a few photos...

http://picasaweb.google.com/chriskerridge1/350ZCorrosion?feat=directlink

Any help advice is appreciated, even if the advice is to stop moaning and pay for it (it is after all 6yrs old and I don't know it's previous history), I'm all ears!

Oh, and if anyone has a bonnet the same colour they want to sell let me know!!

Cheers

Unfortunately, the extended corrosion warranty is a warranty from perforation, not a warranty from corrosion. Nissan's paint warranty is indeed only 3 years. So, unfortunately, either way, you are not covered under the letter of Nissan's warranty. You could try a goodwill gesture through Nissan Customer Services.

Perforation is when there is a hole. Corrosion is rust (in steel), but doesn't necessarily result in a hole. (In Aluminium, corrosion is different to rust, but the metal is affected). Corrosion can lead to perforation, if not treated. Under the terms of the Nissan Anti-perforation warranty, you have to get the car inspected yearly, and any surface rust/paint problems treated.

So I'd need the corrosion to be so bad that it causes a hole in the bonnet before they could say it was corrosion?

The car has had 5 services at main dealers so must assume they have carried these out properly and as instructed (regarding the perforation inspection etc.).

rust is a ferrous metal term, basically if it has iron in it, then it has the potential to rust.

when speaking about metals it better to use the term oxidisation, as this is what happens when the bare metal reacts with oxygen in the air.

in the case of a steel its ironoxide, with aluminium its aluminiumoxide.

ally doesn't oxidise easily and it would be harder to get perferation in it.

as for good will gesture from nissan, good luck, i've tried with something else, and they were tighter than a gnats ar$e. its difficult to get anyhting out of them, once out of warrenty they couldn't give a to$$. i hate nissan for that fact and delibertly don't use their garages for anything, call it a mini protest.

They won't even give a good will gesture.

I think I'm going to have to pay for it...

i tried multiple methods even went to the automotive oberdsman.

try zmanalex, or R3LEE you might find it cheaper to get a second hand bonnet in the right colour and swap over.