Bonnet Corrosion GRRRRR !!!

player2301

Hi went for a little drive today and on return noticed a few new additions to my bonnet :rant:

New bumps and lumps that wasnt there a few weeks ago . . .

Car is 2004

Took to my local body shop who say the bonnet is corroding from the inside out and from lifting the rubber you can see there point !! they told me to go to dealer and have a moan . .

So off to west way Nissan i went. The service manager came and took some pics but wasnt really interested he only took pics of the top of the bonnet untill i informed him that the problem is starting from underneath.. He wrote down my details on a scrap of paper and away he went . . .

Im now awaiting a call sometime in the future. .

I have read this thread where a member has just got a bonnet replaced with the same problems in chorley so im hoping i have the same luck ....

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=57809&p=831593&hilit=bonnet+corrosion#p831593

I will keep you updated and will be asking for your help if this all goes pete tong. . .cheers lads

Pics of corrosion. .

IMG_0579.jpg

IMG_0580.jpg

IMG_0581.jpg

IMG_0582.jpg

IMG_0583.jpg

IMG_0584.jpg

IMG_0585.jpg

As Mike says, the bonnet is alluminium.....which contary to popular belief is actually very prone to corrosion. It just doesn't create what we call "rust" as that's Iron Oxide.

Alluminium oxide doesn't expand as much as iron oxide, so the bubbling is generally smaller, and takes longer to come through.

As Mike says, he bonnet is alluminium.....which contary to popular belief is actually very prone to corrosion. It just doesn't create what we call "rust" as that's Iron Oxide.

Alluminium oxide doesn't expand as much as iron oxide, so the bubbling is generally smaller, and takes longer to come through.

Well said my man!

160px-Frink.png

I have a few spots like that on the roof, but I'm wondering why Nissan would even care? Doesn't the car only come with a 5 year corrosion warranty and therefore they have no responsibility to an 8 year old car?

• 5 months later...

Have exactly the same on my 04. Just had a bodywork guy price £300 to fix with no guarentee it won't come back.

So, priced a new bonnet at the local dealer...£332+vat. Was expecting much more than that. New hood would still need painted and lacquered though.

The 350 has a 12 year corrosion warranty - see here for the detail:

warranty_booklet190605.pdf

We have heard of bonnet corrosion (despite it being alluminum) being fixed under warranty - not an uncommon fault.

Use this vvvvv as (recent) evidence, if a dealer/Nissan play silly buggers. It is a known issue ;)

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=57809

I recently e-mailed Nissan slough some pictures of the exact same problem. Took them around 3weeks to reply only to say (apparently) my bonnet had been re-sprayed by them before so they couldn't do anything under the warranty! Not impressed as im sure the car hasn't been re-sprayed before (unless they got the PERFECT match for my azure. I haven't got around to investigating this though, does anyone know a way of finding out whether it has been sprayed by Nissan before?

I recently e-mailed Nissan slough some pictures of the exact same problem. Took them around 3weeks to reply only to say (apparently) my bonnet had been re-sprayed by them before so they couldn't do anything under the warranty! Not impressed as im sure the car hasn't been re-sprayed before (unless they got the PERFECT match for my azure. I haven't got around to investigating this though, does anyone know a way of finding out whether it has been sprayed by Nissan before?

so they don't warranty their own work? :thumbdown:

Have a look on the very end corners, ie the tips of the bonnet, where they'd rest a bonnet maybe whilst drying. Often an easy spot to see if it's been resprayed, or the underside. Underside of 350 bonnets, don't have lots of shiny clear coat and also between the layers on on the underside. ;)

Going into the Nissan garage tomorrow and want to raise this issue with them on mine. Any particular way I should go about it, any thing I should add in terms of fire power?! Really hope they sort this for me for free under 12 yr perforation warranty :bounce:

Going into the Nissan garage tomorrow and want to raise this issue with them on mine. Any particular way I should go about it, any thing I should add in terms of fire power?! Really hope they sort this for me for free under 12 yr perforation warranty :bounce:

As I mentioned on th first page, it might be handy to have this evidence:

in case the dealer plays silly buggers and given that shows it is a known issue that Nissan have fixed.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=57809

Maybe print a copy to take with you ;)

To the OP (player). Which West Way Nissan dealer did you take your car to?

I have just discovered I'm suffering from the same issue (also an 04 car) and noticed that you are in the West Mids (Walsall). Is it worth reporting to the same dealer if it gives us more chance of a positive result?