Dealer writes off 370z

TomS

This happens more than you think. Only the other week I was called to a RTC when I got there I was met by a Impreza which had both rear wheels ripped off and the axel that had gone through the boot. Upon speaking to the driver he informs e that he was the dealers mechanic out on a test drive following a routine service.

This happens more than you think. Only the other week I was called to a RTC when I got there I was met by a Impreza which had both rear wheels ripped off and the axel that had gone through the boot. Upon speaking to the driver he informs e that he was the dealers mechanic out on a test drive following a routine service.

It's unbelievable that they do it with someones pride & joy with no concern for what might happen or any concern for the consequences though. :rant:

My mate has a heavily modified Impreza that he's had for years and has pretty much learnt to do most of the work needed on it himself as he doesn't trust leaving his car with any garage now. The last time he left it with a garage for a simple 4 wheel laser alignment some snot nose lil' ginger mechanic said to him; "that's so quick your car", his reply was; "how the f**k do you know?!".

Turns out two of the mechanics who work at the garage had taken his car out for a spin even though there was no need to whatsoever just to see what it was like. :angry:

That is unbelievable ! I don't think I would of kept my cool if I saw my car on its roof. id be in the back of the ambulance 'talking' to adam the arse who put it there! :rant: Also none of the main dealers really care once they have your cash.

Edited by ZEUS

An exact replacement or better with a few years servicing thrown in would be a sensible starting point, shame Nissan wouldn't weigh in for the customer. I know they're not obliged, but goodwill and all that.

They should have done that because it would have been cheaper than all the bad "word of mouth" there getting now.

Probably won't be long before you can type in to google "Evans Halshaw Nissan Doncaster" and the top results will be dozens of threads/results regarding how they wrote off a customers car during a routine service. :scare::lol:;)

I'd want them on their knees grovelling for forgiveness. Sickening that they've managed to stop a police investigation by allowing the guy involved to get his story made up prior and effectively helped to cover it up. Then only giving the minimum amount of recompense. It's wierd because there's a Evans halshaw around by me. Don't think they do nissan just vauxhall/ford but I know people that have had problems with them (not this bad though). Safe to say I was never going to use them but after this it just helps to reaffirm to me that you cannot trust a lot of dealerships. Which is a crappy situation.

there are a lot of W****rs at dealers! years ago I have a primera GT and took that into the dealers at Donny which was not Evans then but they were just as bad then! it went if for a service fine got it back and could nt change gears properly, went in and told them and some dick behind the counter tried coming out with a load of BS about sycnomesh etc etc, i said it was fine when i dropped it off this morning with only 18k on the clock. so after a very heated argument and clearing the showroom of all its customers and dragging idiot from behind the counter, Nissan never saw my business again. i took it to my mates who was a @*!# hot mechanic he dropped the gear box oil and to our surprise we found what looked like a cleaning agent in there instead of gear box oil! so once changed all worked ok again.

a few cars after that i had a hyundia coupe from new ad took that in for it first service, well I returned early to the dealer than i would normally to pick my up and was told its not ready the mechanic has just taken it for a test drive! to which i stared to question but then when i stepped out side to calm down, guess what happened next! said idiot came screeching around the corner in my car, i don't need to tell you what happened next do I......

Edited by rickdon

When I got my Jag back from it's service it even had clingfilm round the steering wheel to avoid any marks on the leather :cloud9:

Sent from the golf club...

That's actually a good idea. Stops sticky mechanics hands on the leather.

Dave knows all about sticky hands on leather :love:

Specially as my steering wheel is heated :cloud9:

Sent from the golf club...

Couple of things here.

Firstly.. "Police have decided that there is insufficient evidence to prosecute " - i had the same response from the police a few years back when I was stationary and had a boy racer pile into the back of me at about 60mph. My car was scrunched up like a screwed up bit of paper, I was thrown back with such force that the drivers seat actually ripped out of the floor pan. The boy racers car was totally smashed up. All in a 30mph zone. And yet the police said "not enough evidence". Quite what evidence they need i really dont know, surely the scene of the accident speaks for itself.

Secondly, when I took my 350z to my local Nissan dealer for some warranty work, I was totally amazed that the blond 18 year old receptionist took my keys and then drove off in my car to the workshop. Sure, she was pretty fit, but I really would not have expected her to be experienced in driving such a high performance car and would have expected they would have only allowed a more experienced driver or mechanic drive my car in case she lost control because the car was more powerful than her 1.0 Nissan Micra daily driver. So, if this is common practise for nissan to allow anyone to drive customers cars, its hardly supprising an accident will happen!

• Like 1

So he was given the bare minimum from the dealer to buy a like for like car - same age, condition etc... I wonder how this is calculated, and from where? Does that mean they could've looked on their forecourt for the same car and flat out given it to him?

God knows. How its worked in the past for me when ive had a car written off was that the insurance company looks in the glasses guide and offers you the price listed in there for a car in that condition with mileage & extras. Of course, that figure very often bares very little resemblance to the actual cost you would have to pay in real life to buy such a car, so then you dispute this with the company, and offer proof of what garages are actually charging for such a car. The insurance company then usually agrees with you and gives you the actual "real" price of you buying an exact match replacement car.

Im not sure how this garage handled it. Most dealers dont seem to have much cash and buy all their stock on finance, so im presuming maybe the garage had to go through their insurance company in which case they would have done the above. The guy says he got paid what it would cost to replace the car like for like, so it makes sense. What they havent done through from the sounds of it is give the guy any compensation for inconvenience and the hassle of having his car written off through no fault of his own.