Dealer writes off 370z

TomS

My initial thoughts were, cool, I'd be like;

"OK, I'll have that used GTR over there then please, with free servicing for life and all this never happened."

To find out he got book price and a pat on the back is gutting.

You can see where it all goes blurry though, with Nissan UK being like, "..it's the independent dealer's problem, not Nissan's !" and the dealership doing the bare minimum that they have too.

You bet your life that the fool doesn't work there anymore and because of that he is now the perfect scapegoat for everything. Everyone can pin all the blame onto him. Rightly so but doing that removes any associated blame from the dealership, which is bad show in my opinion.

Couple of things here.

Firstly.. "Police have decided that there is insufficient evidence to prosecute " - i had the same response from the police a few years back when I was stationary and had a boy racer pile into the back of me at about 60mph. My car was scrunched up like a screwed up bit of paper, I was thrown back with such force that the drivers seat actually ripped out of the floor pan. The boy racers car was totally smashed up. All in a 30mph zone. And yet the police said "not enough evidence". Quite what evidence they need i really dont know, surely the scene of the accident speaks for itself.

Secondly, when I took my 350z to my local Nissan dealer for some warranty work, I was totally amazed that the blond 18 year old receptionist took my keys and then drove off in my car to the workshop. Sure, she was pretty fit, but I really would not have expected her to be experienced in driving such a high performance car and would have expected they would have only allowed a more experienced driver or mechanic drive my car in case she lost control because the car was more powerful than her 1.0 Nissan Micra daily driver. So, if this is common practise for nissan to allow anyone to drive customers cars, its hardly supprising an accident will happen!

A tad harsh ... did you know she only had a 1.0 Nissan Micra? Even if that is her daily she might have something else at home she doesn't use for work, most people see my other half in his Pug 307 and not know about the Supra TT and Gixer at home as well as my zed. Unless you personally know her, for all you know she could be a racer at weekends, just because she is young and female doesn't mean she can't handle a zed, they have a big engine but I wouldn't say they're particularly spritely unless you're really pushing it.

Couple of things here.

Firstly.. "Police have decided that there is insufficient evidence to prosecute " - i had the same response from the police a few years back when I was stationary and had a boy racer pile into the back of me at about 60mph. My car was scrunched up like a screwed up bit of paper, I was thrown back with such force that the drivers seat actually ripped out of the floor pan. The boy racers car was totally smashed up. All in a 30mph zone. And yet the police said "not enough evidence". Quite what evidence they need i really dont know, surely the scene of the accident speaks for itself.

Secondly, when I took my 350z to my local Nissan dealer for some warranty work, I was totally amazed that the blond 18 year old receptionist took my keys and then drove off in my car to the workshop. Sure, she was pretty fit, but I really would not have expected her to be experienced in driving such a high performance car and would have expected they would have only allowed a more experienced driver or mechanic drive my car in case she lost control because the car was more powerful than her 1.0 Nissan Micra daily driver. So, if this is common practise for nissan to allow anyone to drive customers cars, its hardly supprising an accident will happen!

A tad harsh ... did you know she only had a 1.0 Nissan Micra? Even if that is her daily she might have something else at home she doesn't use for work, most people see my other half in his Pug 307 and not know about the Supra TT and Gixer at home as well as my zed. Unless you personally know her, for all you know she could be a racer at weekends, just because she is young and female doesn't mean she can't handle a zed, they have a big engine but I wouldn't say they're particularly spritely unless you're really pushing it.

This is a good point and I thought the exact same thing, people are always giving my Mrs slightly shocked looks when they see whos behind the wheel of the Zed.

Back to the OP - I saw this link elsewhere this morning, I think its a disgrace and I am impressed by the owners restraint, Id have been absolutely raging.

Hawker

Couple of things here.

You may well be right, but i dont expect theres many 18 year old receptionists who have a supra TT, a Gixer & a Zed at home as not only would most 18 year olds not be able to afford to buy said cars, but the insurance would be somewhat crippling.

My concern was that I dont let anyone touch my car, even my wife. So after spending a good 20 minutes trying to get the receptionist to understand what I wanted doing to my car and her not seeming to understand what day of the week it was, how to use their computer system, or what a fan belt was, to have her then climb in my car and drive off didnt really inspire me with confidence that she wouldnt scrap the side of the car or reverse it into something.

Im sure there are exceptions to the rules and i didnt meant to afford you if you are young and female. :)

Edited by rabbitstew

Couple of things here.

You may well be right, but i dont expect theres many 18 year old receptionists who have a supra TT, a Gixer & a Zed at home as not only would most 18 year olds not be able to afford to buy said cars, but the insurance would be somewhat crippling.

My concern was that I dont let anyone touch my car, even my wife. So after spending a good 20 minutes trying to get the receptionist to understand what I wanted doing to my car and her not seeming to understand what day of the week it was, how to use their computer system, or what a fan belt was, to have her then climb in my car and drive off didnt really inspire me with confidence that she wouldnt scrap the side of the car or reverse it into something.

Im sure there are exceptions to the rules and i didnt meant to afford you if you are young and female. :)

I had a Z at 20 and that was 4 years ago, I know a guy who had a 2008 Z as his first car brand new when he passed. He literally used his driving license pass certificate for the test drive - which could only be completed after he'd put down a fairly large (apparently returnable deposit).

When I worked at Mercedes-Benz World, there was a lady who was one of the drivers for the experiences. She did passenger rides a fair amount and people would always give a sarcastic look when she came round the corner.

She looks like this:

Tiff_Chittenden_Promotional_16.JPG

and this is her on some of her "work days"

Tiff_Chittenden_Porsche_Carrera_Cup_GB_16.JPG

She's a prime example of don't judge a book, softly spoken, very pretty and could beat most guys on any circuit.

Edited by Dedman

Aye, and TBF its not like youre receptionist was taking the car out for a trackday, taking it round the back to the worskhop isnt that challenging ;)

I was at a car show a while back when a slightly drunk SXOC member started giving my missus a bit of heat - nothing harsh, just "I dont understand why girls come to these things, you obviously arent into cars" and the like.

When she pointed out that the totally unique convertible Silvia driftcar he was leaning on was hers, along with an MR2 and she had just driven there in my widearch 350Z he shut up rather quickly. :lol:

You would like to think that at dealerships, depending on the car only more senior mechanics would be allowed to road test them. Fair enough, moving about, valeting etc is different. In these Health and Safety conscious times, I cant let lads use certain equipment without training, just for insurance purposes if nothing else. A car at the end of the day is just another piece of equipment and without adequate training you shouldn't be allowed to use/test it at work.

Couple of things here.

Lol no worries, you didn't offend me, although I am female I am also a few years past young these days, and to be honest after seeing some receptionists at garages I would probably say I'll take it to the workshop myself lol one girl who used to work where my boyfriend does got a call from a guy with chips on his windscreen and needed a replacement and she said why didn't he just clean them off! I don't think she ever lived it down lol

It just bugs me sometimes when men jump to conclusions with women and cars (don't get me wrong I'm sure I do it too) especially when I've had said to me at a petrol station "nice car, does your boyfriend know you borrowed it", which is generally from a **** in a BMW or fiesta!

I had a mate who worked in the workshops for a Ford garage. Customers often wanted their cars picking up, servicing and returning. This is the flaw as they are only going to send out the monkeys to pick up cars, not the valuable mechanics. It was a few years back now and it was a 2.8i Capri, well known for being pigs to handle with poor brakes and a tail-happy style of cornering. Needless to say the lads fought over who would pick it up and it got a good half-hour of gearbox-crunching action on the back roads every time it went in. One day my mate did a 360 spin and missed a tree by about 1mm at very high speeds.

The moral of this story and the original is do not trust any dealership to pick up and drop off your car - ever! Find a local performance garage who trusts all their staff and then you can in turn trust them.

A little bit off topic here, but it shows how poor customer service is from main dealers. My old man just recently put a deposit down on a nearly new Toyota lander cruiser with only 1900 miles on it worth £50k. When he went to pick it up 10 days later it had 4900miles on it, 2 shopping trolley dents and several stone chips on the front bumper. Turned out the "manager" had been using it to travel from Wales to Kent every day. They didn't even offer any money off or to fix the damage. Needless to say he walked away from it. He also had to use his solicitor to get his deposit back!..... Poor show

Mate of mine bought a Skyline GTST with patchy service history so first thing he did was book it in for a service and belt changes to be safe , the garage did the work and then the son of the garage owner took it for a "road test"

Poor guy never even got chance to drive the car on boost :(

Before

_DSC5171-X951.jpg

After

P1040094.jpg

P1040102.jpg

P1040088.jpg

When i had my GTST it had a power fc on it so I would set the upper rev limit to 3500rpm when it was likely to be driven by anyone else, took it for an mot once and the lad who drove it from the front of the garage to the back told me the car had a terrible misfire at 3500rpm , I replied why the hell are you driving above 3500rpm just running it around the unit??

Friend of mine took his car in for a service and was told by the garage to pick it up at 4.00pm

as he was on the bus he got there early to find a spotty kid "drifting" it around a roundabout,

when he complained to the Manager he just said they needed to road test it...

I would have road tested his ass with my size 12...!! :angry: :angry:

Makes a good case for one of these.

To give a good background the tuner built this Evo X for a customer it was a 600hp build costing around £25k , he used to car to show of to potential customers including this 90+mph blast past a school in a built up area , the engine fialed shortly afterwards any the customer has been l;eft high and dry , over a year on this are still going on trying to get the guys money back

Skip to about 2min

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ5B-oImYho

or this one, where two mechanics took a Monaro for a blast

370's now can be multi mapped by traders like Abbey Motorsport, I believe up to 5 maps, one of which can be "valet" mode with restricted revs. Not the answer as obviously a trustworthy dealer is the real answer but when needs must............ :)

• Like 1

If service is bad for private individuals, can you imagine what its like for company and fleet cars when the person driving the motor doesnt own it.

I had company cars for 25 years and I'm sure half the time it just sat there for 8 hrs until it was picked up.....Who is going to check!

I marked the oil filter once, to discover when I picked the car up a nice clean filter in place........with my mark still there...it had just been cleaned with a rag!

Cam belts used to let go at 70,000 mile when they should have been changed at 50,000...blah...blah....blah

You get the picture

When I dropped my Audi ttrs (highly modified) off at Audi main dealer for a service the 'customer service advisor' asked if it was ok for the mechanic to take the car for a short 'test' drive following the service to ensure everything was ok. I said I wasn't keen on it but would allow it, but asked him to tell the mechanic that the car was in valet mode and wouldn't rev over 3000rpm so not to think it was a problem, and under NO circumstances to upload any software updates. Guess what - they didn't bother test driving it! Hmmmmm.

I was glad tho.

370's now can be multi mapped by traders like Abbey Motorsport, I believe up to 5 maps, one of which can be "valet" mode with restricted revs. Not the answer as obviously a trustworthy dealer is the real answer but when needs must............ :)

When I dropped my Audi ttrs (highly modified) off at Audi main dealer for a service the 'customer service advisor' asked if it was ok for the mechanic to take the car for a short 'test' drive following the service to ensure everything was ok. I said I wasn't keen on it but would allow it, but asked him to tell the mechanic that the car was in valet mode and wouldn't rev over 3000rpm so not to think it was a problem, and under NO circumstances to upload any software updates. Guess what - they didn't bother test driving it! Hmmmmm.

I was glad tho.

Couldn't have worked better. :)

I was glad tho.

Couldn't have worked better. :)

I wont even let the local mobile valeter move my car, :thumbs: