Got pulled for my plate! :-/

parello9

Only read a few previous posts so not sure if this has been mentioned? How about having a standard size plate but painting the outer edges black to make it look smaller against your grill? They can't fine you for size then surely? Just a thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only read a few previous posts so not sure if this has been mentioned? How about having a standard size plate but painting the outer edges black to make it look smaller against your grill? They can't fine you for size then surely? Just a thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has to be an eleven mm border

I think the plates have to be standard, no other size, comes down to visibility by other people on the road, plus their cameras may not pick up the smaller plates??? Someone mentioned retractable plate, now that's interesting - you get pulled over for the plate, and by the time the cops have come out of their car, you've 'flipped' the plate for a standard

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I think the plates have to be standard, no other size, comes down to visibility by other people on the road, plus their cameras may not pick up the smaller plates??? Someone mentioned retractable plate, now that's interesting - you get pulled over for the plate, and by the time the cops have come out of their car, you've 'flipped' the plate for a standard

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Probably perverting the course of justice too...

Apparently the police are not too clued up on the number plate sizes and their rules do not correlate to the DVLA's rules. Absolute madness. You can print out the size and rules from the DVLA website as I did and had a good 10 minute argument with plod about 2 years back. It's amazing just how obstinate a uniform can make a man in the face of what clearly seemed to be a perfectly legal plate according to the people who make the rules, which is not the police.

Apparently the police are not too clued up on the number plate sizes and their rules do not correlate to the DVLA's rules. Absolute madness. You can print out the size and rules from the DVLA website as I did and had a good 10 minute argument with plod about 2 years back. It's amazing just how obstinate a uniform can make a man in the face of what clearly seemed to be a perfectly legal plate according to the people who make the rules, which is not the police.

The problem is, they can only work with the information they are provided. It's not the fault of the boots on the ground, it's the fault of the shoes in the offices. If he pulls over 10 people a day for various things, probably half of them are going to lie to try and get away with it. Everyone gets proved wrong in their job sometimes, and as you say, you proved to him it's a legal plate; so he must have believed you against the information he was supplied by his superiors.

• 2 months later...

How's is everyone getting on with there 3/4 sized plates?

18months and no interest from the plod so far (touch wood). I think it's now £100 fine. ????

Mrs Buster got pulled in my zed last year and received a £100 fine for a 3/4 plate on the front.....your better off not running with one.....at least you can thank the plod and say i ll get it sort,must of fallen off lol

18months and no interest from the plod so far (touch wood). I think it's now £100 fine. ????

Mrs Buster got pulled in my zed last year and received a £100 fine for a 3/4 plate on the front.....your better off not running with one.....at least you can thank the plod and say i ll get it sort,must of fallen off lol

Bold Buster :lol:

I've been driving with no front plate for couple months now. No stops yet :lol:

+1 Took mine off May 2013 and have been ok so far. Although I rarely drive the thing. It will cost me £100 one day, but I can't bring myself to ruin my smooth and spotless bumper.

• Like 1

I was pulled a month or so ago - Plod was very clued up and able to recite the legal dimensions and that its the letters that are key and the plate can be any size. Fortunately I had the regular ones in the car so he supplied a screwdriver and they were changed there and then so no further action was taken. I think this must have been his pet nick. I haven't put my old US ones back on but will do for meets as its a relatively simple swap over.

A little birdy told me that you are now running a plate :lol:

• Like 2

A little birdy told me that you are now running a plate :lol:

"Was" :p

:lol:

the DVLA and the police have different rules for number plates. I kid you not! I have had an arguement with plod for a good 5 minutes about this. I have the rules and regs printed out from the DVLA which were different to his. Once flashed in his face he just walked off saying " change that number plate or i'll fine you" to which I replied, " no, you wont, because its not illegal, if you were going to fine me you would've done it by now" . Aslong as the characters are the correct size there's nothing they can do about the actual size of the plate.

the DVLA and the police have different rules for number plates. I kid you not! I have had an arguement with plod for a good 5 minutes about this. I have the rules and regs printed out from the DVLA which were different to his. Once flashed in his face he just walked off saying " change that number plate or i'll fine you" to which I replied, " no, you wont, because its not illegal, if you were going to fine me you would've done it by now" . Aslong as the characters are the correct size there's nothing they can do about the actual size of the plate.

Any more info on this???

Any more info on this???

I don't have the info the police have in regards to number plates, but you can go on the DVLA website and read through what is allowed and what isn't. Yes, if you have an import car you can run import sized plates, bearing in mind the characters are the right size meaning, speed cameras and the like can read them. I had a stick on number plate on my 1991 Gt-Four, I had it on that car for 3 years and I was never pulled as the year of the car pre-dated the enforcement of the rule, which is you're not allowed to on a more modern car. As long as you do your homework and have something to show them that has led you to believe what is allowed by a reliable source (DVLA), it makes it a lot harder for them to issue you with a penalty and perhaps, give you the benefit of the doubt. Edited by Rock_Steady

There is a lot mentioned here about "import" size plates, regardless of whether the dvla states this regulation, how does any policeman know if your car has been imported when your driving down the road or for that matter even when you have been stopped??