Opinions on my XKR's rear (its ar$e fell off)

rtbiscuit

Going to try and do this with lots of pictures to help, but the reason I started this post is the rear of my XKR fell off :blush: the bumper had been on a wing and a prayer for the last 18 months, but I finally gave out. so its brought forward a few jobs, one of those is treating the rust at the back and sides.

so this is what my cars rear looked like to start with

IMG_0254.jpg

but then the bumper fell off and it now looks like this

IMAG0011_zps78f66773.jpg

I have since removed the mount posts so it looks a little more streamline, but yes I am sporting the first ever rat look jag.

now as part of the de rusting due to cost of work i'm limited on options returning it to stock will be too expensive as it would require 2 new rear quarters a lot of dismantling and welding and a lot of cash. so to bypass that. I have this bumper coming with a carbon rear diffuser, this is taken straight from an aston and built to fit the XKR (the diffuser not the bumper)

IMG_1416%20copy.jpg

KP28.jpg

I know ekona hates it, but I really like the rear and its going to solve all my rust issues.

so my question is; and the reason for the long winded post is that as i'm updating the rear I was contemplating updating the old lights.

I don't think the 06 jewel lights are enough of an improvement

2006-jaguar-xk8-2-door-coupe-xkr-tail-light_100264530_m.jpg

so I was thinking of getting a set of quad rear lights like this

jaguar-xkr-xk8-quad-rear-light-conversion-568-p.jpg

ignore the horrible bumper its mounted above, what are peoples thoughts? are quad lights on an XKR going to make it look stupid? do you think they will go with my new rear?

at the same time the car is going to have the huge rear aerial removed and smoothed over and new round 4" rear tail pipes to poke out the back

Must say I'm not keen on the jewel lights..only because of the chrome around the outside. I think it will stand out too much against the black. With your tinited existing lights the whole bumper will look smoother in a similar way that the quad lights would smooth it out just a bit more understated.

Also, you mention to ignore the bumper that the quad lightsa are on, but are those reflectors required due to how little reflective material there is in the lights themselves....aren't there limits that have to be met?

Quad lights are even worse than the bumper! :lol:

I don't hate the rear bumper btw, in fact on the red one it looks great, but the XKR needs a cohesive package front to rear IMHO not just something slapped on the backend. It's going to look unbalanced, and if I'm being brutally honest (which I will be because you're a good mate) then it seems utterly crazy to spend more money on making it look pretty when you've still got structural issues to deal with.

Spend the cash getting rid of ALL the rust everywhere, then make sure that all the oily bits are in top notch order, and then go and make it look pretty. No point having a nice arse if you've still got some rust underneath another part of the body. :)

Quad lights are utterly chav power though, regardless.

Jewel Lights for me.

Re Rust - I looked at 3 XKRs before I bought my old Chimaera 2 were begining to go in rear arches and 1 had issues in front chassis rails and floor pan. Good to see you are getting on top of it :teeth:

Im still very tempted by the XKR and will prob get one at some point B)

alright quad lights are off the table.

@ekona, I have sorted all the oily stuff, the engine is now top notch, and I have sorted most of the rust, underside of the car is now done, and this rear bumper is part of sorting the rust at the rear. next job is to sort the rust on the side sills and the leading edge of the rear arch, and that's when the sides go on to match the rear. but I have to do it a bit at a time as I don't have the budget to do the whole car in one go. depending on how much I can do my self I might have enough budget left over to do the sides at the same time.