Waterless car wash shampoo...not all that bad.

gangzoom

Just to say I’m no detailer (as Mitz can testify), but do like trying to keep the car looking clean. However both of the family cars are used daily for commuting and I rarely have time to spend a whole afternoon cleaning/waxing. Have previously used a £5 car wash once due to laziness, and emerged with a damage the rear wiper and lots of new scratches everywhere, never again :scare:

This “waterless†system (Greased Lightning) claims you can just spray on the shampoo/wax and than just “clean†and buff. This has always seemed like a bad idea, given all the dirt/bird poo that builds up and than your just rubbing it all over the paint surface with no water to "wash" away all the rubbish :headhurt: .…but was feeling brave today so gave it ago (on the wife’s car of course)!!

The car hasn’t been washed for about 8 months, so was pretty dirty.

mg2752is.jpg

So I applied the shampoo/was as directed, straight on to the surface (without any prewash or wipe), and than buff off with microfiber cloth…and that's it :headhurt:

Rear quarter, pre and post.

mg2753.jpg

mg2766j.jpg

Front area, pre and post (all the small specs left are stone chips..looks like no paint is a match for the stones/dust of british roads, the car is 4 years old and has done about 50,000 miles community around Lincolnshire/Derby/Leicester ).

mg2755.jpg

mg2758v.jpg

Front wheel, pre and post (not really clean but literally just sprayed on the shampoo and than 15 sec wipe, my excuse for not bothering to do a proper clean is that it'll get dirty again in a few days :lol: )

mg2763.jpg

mg2767.jpg

Mid “washâ€

mg2756.jpg

End result:

mg2769.jpg

mg2771k.jpg

Overall I’m quite impressed, and the product does what it claims. So instead of 2 buckets, lots of water, shampoo, wax, drying/polishing cloth the only things I used was 3 mirco fiber cloth…and no evidence of any new scratches.

mg2764.jpg

Of course its not completely waterless….took quite a while to clean the cloths afterwards!!

mg2754.jpg

I paid £25 for 2 x 1 Liter bottles, I used about 200ml on the car today, and applied the shampoo quite liberally because how dirty it was, so at a squeeze I recon I could get 6-7 “washes†out of a 1 Liter bottle, so about £2 per wash. It’s not cheap, but given I only get time to clean my own car maye be 6 times a year its not all that bad, especially if it means I don’t have to bother getting out the buckets/hosepipe/wax etc…still not sure if I’m ready/brave enough to try it on my car!!! The shampoo is suppose to “wax†the car as well, so I’ll see what happens when it rains :)

Looks like a good product for what it is... A quick job thats effective to the untrained eye..

Could be a 12hr detail but me thinks that things riddled with spiders webs ?

As long as your happy with it and after all it is a commuter...

Would not use this myself on my own car...

On my mums hell yeah.... :-)))

Looks like a good result there.

Do the micro fibre cloths come out clean after a regular wash in the washing machine?

Washed them after by hand, took about 5 minutes and few rinses, but yeah pretty clean afterwards.

Wow, your car was filthy :scare: Looks much better clean though. I like the starry car in the background :teeth:

The wife sees it as my job to clean the cars...mine isn't too bad, but the Civic gets neglected, it'll be dirty again in a few days...but still has covered 50,000 miles through rain/snow/sun on some pretty awful roads in the last few years without any mechanical hiccups :thumbs: .

Could be a 12hr detail but me thinks that things riddled with spiders webs ?

As long as your happy with it and after all it is a commuter...

Would not use this myself on my own car...

On my mums hell yeah.... :-)))

The inside was much worse, no spider would want to live in there :lol: ....I spent about 3 hours hovering and tidying recently...strange thing is if I leave house in the state my wife leaves her car in I'll be getting a big telling off :lol: .... still not sure if I'm brave enough to try it on the 335i....will see that happens to the "wax" first in the rain.

The inside was much worse, no spider would want to live in there :lol: ....I spent about 3 hours hovering and tidying recently...strange thing is if I leave house in the state my wife leaves her car in I'll be getting a big telling off :lol: .... still not sure if I'm brave enough to try it on the 335i....will see that happens to the "wax" first in the rain.

see this viewtopic.php?f=29&t=62180

I rest my case :lol:

I used this for a quick clean on the Sunday morning of the recent Wales Run, not bad at all really :thumbs:. Have to say though that the car had only been thoroughly washed on the Friday, I wouldn't risk it if it was really dirty.

Pete

I might have to get some of this as a "moisturiser" for my hands if it's as good as advertised!

Let me explain why......

My paint is pretty swirl free despite being 7 yrs old seeing as it's been pampered from new.

BUT, where I open the boot you can see swirls around the tailgate where my thumb and fingers contact the paint to open the boot!

Greased Lightning "moisturiser" may be the answer :lol:

It doesn't make any sense. The grit doesn't magically disappear? It must be getting rubbed into something?

It all gets picked up on the cloth...it's really was amazing how much dirt they can soak up!! I was really surprised at how well it works...even on a car that was covered in grit/dirt/bird poo etc. Its hard to fine out exactly how they work, this is the closets I could find...

"Here is the science behind how the whole process works. When sprayed onto a car panel, the soaps, surfactants, and lubrication agents break down dirt particles, the polymers wrap around the particles and bond to the dirt. A microfiber towel is used because of high absorbency and softness, which helps to scoop up these dirt particles. A second microfiber towel is used to help polish any remaining formula."

And if you don't rinse the microfiber, all those bits of grits and dirt stay there and scratch the paint the next time you touch the bodywork with it. Whilst it may be able to break down some tiny weeny bits, it physically can't do it with the larger bits and that's why you end up with the aforementioned spiderwebs in the paint.

It's no different to quick detailer in essence and it does remove the dirt from your car, don't kid yourself that you're not ruining your paintwork. For some people that's okay, and that's fine. Not for me though.

• 6 months later...

Actually saw this stuff for sale in the local supermarket at the weekend for the first time and just couldnt get my head around how it could work with no water - like others have said surely you are just pushing the grit around the car on the cloth!!!

Pictures the OP posted do look good tho!

I've used this Greased Lightening my previous car (Porsche Cayman) & if your car is relativly clean to start off with it will do a very impressive quick job. However the particular type of Canuaba wax contained within must be of very soft compound because the finish really does not last for long. A few heavy rain showers will break that 'showroom shine' down quickly!

If your car is filthy i'd advise you NOT to use the stuff. The claim is it encapsulates each tiny grain of dirt with its unique blend of emulsifyers so that there will be no capiliary scratches left on the bodywork blah blah blah.....All marketing spiele, dont fall for it!!

And if you don't rinse the microfiber, all those bits of grits and dirt stay there and scratch the paint the next time you touch the bodywork with it. Whilst it may be able to break down some tiny weeny bits, it physically can't do it with the larger bits and that's why you end up with the aforementioned spiderwebs in the paint.

It's no different to quick detailer in essence and it does remove the dirt from your car, don't kid yourself that you're not ruining your paintwork. For some people that's okay, and that's fine. Not for me though.

What he said...its a no brainer, using a dirty microfibre over and over will scratch the car. I avoid this stuff like the plague. Superficially it might look fine when you finish, but close up you will see the damage you have done.

What he said...its a no brainer, using a dirty microfibre over and over will scratch the car.

For those that don't know, putting microfibres in the machine on a low temp with non-bio works well and should be done after every use. Doing so before the first use is a good idea as well!

What he said...its a no brainer, using a dirty microfibre over and over will scratch the car.

For those that don't know, putting microfibres in the machine on a low temp with non-bio works well and should be done after every use. Doing so before the first use is a good idea as well!

Yep, all we have is non bio as we have to use it with the babies clothes!