Forum newbie, looking to become a 350z member soon

Hi All!

I'm Craig, 32 from South Wales!

Been a Ford man through and through and help run the FFOC club.

Currently a Focus ST owner (don't knock it! 310bhp and 380lb torque ;)) - love the power and what it gives but after ownership for 4 years I'm looking for something a bit different!

Binned the ideas of an S2000 (too old!), BMW Z4 coupe (drove like a wet lettuce), TT (too feminine!), S15 Silva (too much work) - but always loved the 350z looks (and can't quite afford a 370!!) so have been slowly and painfully looking through AutoTrader and alike....

However confusion has struck in! Various adverts are advertising 3 different "bhp" versions of the 350!?!?!!? a 280, 300 or 313? do these all exist? how do I know which one is which? I'm keen to to get the later 313 version and hopefully a GT version (I'm hoping my investigations are correct and this is indeed the "top" model available!)

Can't decide on colours so keeping options open!

Looking for advice, and some guidance on how to pick a "good un", what to look out for and of course - I doubt I'll keep it standard long (couldn't with the Focus!)

Thanking you all in anticipation!

Wow! Thanks for the quick and friendly replies!

Looks like a really positive forum which is always great!

I'll have a better trawl around the forum to find some more out - think I was being a bit lazy (read eager) to get the info! At least now I have an idea to spot the 313!

I'll report back shortly!!

Meanwhile I'll find a few pics of "Jaffa" and will get them up here asap! :)

Thanks gain for the warm welcome!

The original model "the 287ps model" had more torque than its younger brothers.

The 2nd model is "the 300ps model" It came out in 2006. Sometimes referred to as the "revup engine" It has a higher rev limiter and a facelift interior and headlights(now bixenon) and led tail lights. The interior was a bit of a let down in the original model according to reviews and the facelift is much better design and quality.

The 3rd model came out in 2007 "57" plate if i remember correctly. It had a full overhaul of the engine which now has 2 intake ducts and is referred to as the "HR" engine. It is the exact same as the 2006 facelift model but with the newer engine. It also has a bonnet bulge to help house the new engine.

All uk models were of a gt spec which included rays, leather interior and bose sound system. The pre 2006 models sometimes never had the lightweight rays though as they were an optional extra up to a point.

Even though these cars vary in power, they are very much similar and the differences in the newer models are much less noticable. The 2006 onwards models have the higher tax band of 400 odd quid

I hope this helps you out and welcome :wave:

Welcome the forum :thumbs:

S/h 370 prices are knocking on 20k nowadays :surrender:

Mention has been made about the last 350 model with the necessary bonnet bulge for 309bhp HR engine. But be aware that bonnet is a popular mod for earlier 350's, when you are looking ;)

Having had 276bhp; 296bhp engined 350's and now the 326 bhp version in the 370, there is really not a lot in it performance wise on the road. In my experience, and in standard guise, the 276 engine was more suited to the 350 - the extra rev range of the 296 really only coming into its own on track or long straights. The 296 has slightly less torque, which is what matters in everyday driving. But then the facelift in 2006 and onwards did mean you had a better cabin and other desirable bits, like LED rear lights. Bear in mind also that models pre March 2006 pay the lower road tax, which makes absolutely no sense but good luck to those owners.