General tyre advice please

AssaTM

Hi all,

I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times and I am reading old threads but as with everything opinions change with knowledge etc but essentially the tyres on my Z are nearing replacement time and I've never replaced the tyres on the car before so what are considered the gold standard of tyres to opt for please? Daily driver with the typical English weather and a standard coupe with no lowering of the car etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated please, thank you! 

Michilan PS5's are considered probably one of, if not the best tyre on the market, which is good if you feel like dropping a large amount of cash on them. 

Personally? I rate Falkens, which are a very good midrange tyre and i sell alot of them through work, Hankooks another's. To be honest it's all very subjective, some will want the best of the best to do a 1000 miles a year, others will settle for budgets on a daily driven rear wheel drive car. Its up to you

• Like 2

With all due respect, just putting the tyre manufacturer doesn't help anyone as there's a world of difference between base level and top level Falkens, much as there is between base and top Michelins (although one brand I'd happily use, another I wouldn't touch...!).

Tbh, if you only ever nail the car in a straight line or just drive round posing, anything from a quality brand will do. It's only if you're a keen driver and know what you want from a tyre that we then need to start discussing the top top stuff. Which would the MPS4S/5 (depending on tyre size and availability).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ekona said:

With all due respect, just putting the tyre manufacturer doesn't help anyone as there's a world of difference between base level and top level Falkens, much as there is between base and top Michelins (although one brand I'd happily use, another I wouldn't touch...!).

Tbh, if you only ever nail the car in a straight line or just drive round posing, anything from a quality brand will do. It's only if you're a keen driver and know what you want from a tyre that we then need to start discussing the top top stuff. Which would the MPS4S/5 (depending on tyre size and availability).

Speaking personally I will confess my driving isn’t at a level where I could tell the subtle difference between mid range tyre brands regardless of the make. How many on here have the skills and abilities to be able to really tell the difference between tyres in the same price and performance bracket?. 

3 minutes ago, Payco said:

Speaking personally I will confess my driving isn’t at a level where I could tell the subtle difference between mid range tyre brands regardless of the make. How many on here have the skills and abilities to be able to really tell the difference between tyres in the same price and performance bracket?. 

My opinion would be anyone who is confident in pushing their car to it's limits. I know I've tried different tyres before and the difference is night and day with some.

• Like 4

Just to give some context - on some pirelli tyres, I could go round a particular corner near me at 50mph. But with Goodyear eagle f1s I could do 70mph. Gave me so much more confidence, grip and twitched less. Felt planted. Tyre cost difference at the time was £20 a corner, so I'd say same price category.

Edited by The Bounty Bar Kid

6 hours ago, Ekona said:

LOL its not a one size fits all. He'll do his own research unless he hasn't got limbs or eyes. Your endorsement of Michelin has me questioning whether you have an affiliation with Michelin. No doubt they're top tyres but come on now. There are only a few "specific" tyres from said manufacturers that fit the Z. Im sure most people here dont want to put £90 tyres on the Z.

Whats all this about keen drivers....There are many people on here that don't drive like hooligans but spiritedly and can keep the car within the lanes on a tight curb. They most likely didn't have "Michelins" and no one died. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, GranTurismoEra said:

LOL its not a one size fits all. He'll do his own research unless he hasn't got limbs or eyes. Your endorsement of Michelin has me questioning whether you have an affiliation with Michelin. No doubt they're top tyres but come on now. There are only a few "specific" tyres from said manufacturers that fit the Z. Im sure most people here dont want to put £90 tyres on the Z.

Whats all this about keen drivers....There are many people on here that don't drive like hooligans but spiritedly and can keep the car within the lanes on a tight curb. They most likely didn't have "Michelins" and no one died. 

You’re right, it’s not a one size fits all. However, simply saying “I’ve run Falkens and they’re great” is like saying “I’ve got a Nissan and it’s really good!”: you could be talking about a GTR or a Micra, and one is very different than the other. If you’re going to give advice, then all I’m asking is to be specific about it. Reasonable, no?

No one has mentioned anything about tyres being dangerous or people dying, apart from you. But there is a huge difference in feel between something awful and something brilliant. I used to love the old Sessanta things from years ago, they were lacking in grip but had outstanding feel so were great fun. 

Yeah, I dig Michelins. And? Take my recommendation or not, that’s up to the individual. Nothing wrong with the Conti SC6 either, but the OP asked for the gold standard. 

• Like 1

On 12/09/2023 at 17:54, AssaTM said:

Hi all,

I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times and I am reading old threads but as with everything opinions change with knowledge etc but essentially the tyres on my Z are nearing replacement time and I've never replaced the tyres on the car before so what are considered the gold standard of tyres to opt for please? Daily driver with the typical English weather and a standard coupe with no lowering of the car etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated please, thank you! 

So it sounds like you just want to use the car, a feisty 2 door coupe, for just driving around normally, I’d just go with the manufactures recommendation.  If you want to be a little bit ‘sporty’ and ‘spirited’ get 2 decent sets, one for summer use and a dedicated winter tyre.

over the years and on many forums, tyre choice is a minefield of ‘nasal’ ‘experts’, who, in the end have their favourites from their vast internet reading ability.  On the RX8 forums, the stock tyres were rubbished (Bridgestone RE040) in preference to RE050’s as an example and, everyone went out and bought them!  I noticed no difference and I rung the neck out of that car ha!  Winter though........

Whatever tyre you choose from all the above suggestions, just remember, they’re all SUMMER tyres, not very good in lower temps, unless your last name is Hakkanin(Sp?) and your first is Miku, so spirited driving is not what to do in winter.

I’ve had all the above mentioned tyres (not the PS5S though) and currently run PS4S, but I don’t have to show much ‘spirit’ in winter to have a brown trouser moment.  Heat and the ability of a tyre to hold heat is a huge factor on cold, damp or wet days Pirelli, great summer tyre, complete comedic death wish in winter, so had to drive accordingly.

Most, if not all tyre tests are carried out on FWD hatchbacks and bear no relevance when re-booting a middling ‘RWD ‘performance’ car and only offer some technical jargon that most of us don’t understand.  I’d also get the quietist tyre....

To summarise, check the bloody weather first before hooning around country lanes.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Ekona said:

You’re right, it’s not a one size fits all. However, simply saying “I’ve run Falkens and they’re great” is like saying “I’ve got a Nissan and it’s really good!”: you could be talking about a GTR or a Micra, and one is very different than the other. If you’re going to give advice, then all I’m asking is to be specific about it. Reasonable, no?

No one has mentioned anything about tyres being dangerous or people dying, apart from you. But there is a huge difference in feel between something awful and something brilliant. I used to love the old Sessanta things from years ago, they were lacking in grip but had outstanding feel so were great fun. 

Yeah, I dig Michelins. And? Take my recommendation or not, that’s up to the individual. Nothing wrong with the Conti SC6 either, but the OP asked for the gold standard. 

Cool

• 3 weeks later...

This was all absolutely fantastic advice, thank you :) I really do appreciate it, I feel like I am settling on the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S after reading all of the advice :) Now the next question I have is what are the recommended tyre sizes people have settled on after years of knowledge and experience? There is so much info out there it's hard to know what is current, ideal or even correct... I have a 370z GT so nothing too wild or different such as a Nismo etc, but it's currently fitted with 245/40 on the front and R19275/35 R19 on the rear... thank you for the help as always! :)

On 13/09/2023 at 23:28, ilogikal1 said:

There are also people on here who choose tyres based on looks... so there's that.

I was exactly the same as that years ago with the tread pattern on the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D2 on my S14a 200SX. I had a pair of Adidas trainers with the exact tread pattern on the soles to match! :D

Currently looking to purchase the MPS4S as mentioned before but unfortunately it doesn't seem like they come in the 245/40Y variant, does the standard moving up a single width to 255 still apply or whats the spacing like on the 370z? Thank you :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...