I know this isn't Reddit but...

I had a similar experience with one of my neighbours shortly after I bought and moved into my house 3 years ago. 

I offered to park so the exhaust was facing the street rather than their house, and set off as soon as it'd started up (except when it needed defrosting in the winter). 

They're probably still not completely happy but they've not moaned again since.

It's the best you can reasonably do really, the idea of changing your car or job, or parking down the road is just ridiculous. I'd love to have the luxury of choosing whether to work from home and not have to commute everyday, but sadly that's not an option for me. 

At the end of the day when you're living so close to other people you've all gotta be willing to compromise a bit, otherwise you need to move somewhere more remote. 

Funny thing is my completely OEM R8 is louder on cold startup than my 350z with HFCs & invidia gemini. I bet my neighbours were over the moon when they found out I was selling the zed, until they realised what I was replacing it with :lol:

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Stutopia said:

Make sure your car is covered by a security camera. I’ve had neighbour wars because he objects to my rear garden (all within permitted development) because I didn’t consult him on my plans first and “he’s been living here for 30 years”. No one wins, all you can do is always be the polite one, never rise to anything and hope he’s not so much of a jerk that he’ll actually key it or slash your tyres. A camera helps deter someone who’s not a hardened idiot.

When I have to get away early, the last thing I do is start the engine. Get my coffee in its holder, set the sat nav, tunes on, belt up, get set and then start her and move off slowly but promptly. Owning a porsche alone is enough to trigger some people. It’ll be the leaving it idling that’s got his goat - just sitting there making a noise, for no good reason (in his mind). I don’t subscribe to the “moving you car when it’s cold means the engine falls out” way of thinking, there’s loads of places with considerably colder climates than England and you will be using the right oil for our climate and just taking it easy until the oil is up to temp, or idle around the corner. It’s not going to be the difference between an engine failing at 175k miles and 50k.

Yep got CCTV covering my house. Does colour at night. Went for commercial grade CCTV as opposed to the stuff normal people buy.

42 minutes ago, pintopete58 said:

Let the car warm up you'll be doing it damage driving off straight away

I'm sorry but this is completely false. 

Sure you'll do damage by bouncing off the redline of a cold engine, but as long as you drive it gently at low revs until everything is up to its operating temperature then it will not cause any adverse issues whatsoever. 

• Like 1

Actually driving speeds up the warm up process. Does the car have the sports exhaust? Seems its already got a sports exhaust if it isnt specced.

Nothing wrong with driving off straight away. Im suprised no one looked out the window. Someone left some food on my Z when i parked at the station. Maybe I woke them up. Theres more expensive cars than mine.

There seems to be a stigma with sports cars. It riles some people up. Ive heard all the clichés. When ppl are in full time employment they dont have time to moan or watch what others are doing tbh. Notice hes not working at the moment so has time on his hands!

Idling around the corner is a waste of time. If im already on the move might as well get going. Plus traffic builds up from 6:30 so why hang around. You can idle in traffic lol

4 hours ago, The Bounty Bar Kid said:

I drive slowly until the car is fully warmed up, 75°c water temp. For the 1st 2 miles I don't go over 2000 rpm or over about 32mph. Only once at 50°c will I go over 2000rpm but keep below 3000rpm. After temp is reached, foot to the floor is allowed. Feels sluggish as in when the gearbox goes to change gear. Seems to not be as smooth.

Water temp is irrelevant, it’s oil temp you need to look at for spirited driving. I’m guessing you’ve got about the same 9L-odd of oil in yours I had in my Pork, so it takes about 10-15 mins to get there. Imho you’re being waaaaayyyyy too cautious with driving, under 3-4rpm until warm is more than enough, actual road speed doesn’t matter :) gearbox being a bit slow I genuinely suspect is in your head: your box is much newer than mine was, and I never had any jerkiness at all. Could well be that the gearbox oil is just a bit chilly this time of year is all. 

Bearing in mind your engine is DFi, you don’t want to be pootling around as otherwise it’s going to get all clogged up. Try letting yourself get used to changing at 3krpm, or whatever the PDK wants to in Normal mode. You want the engine warmed up as quickly as possible to prevent engine wear :thumbs: 

It does sound rather like the other guy is a bit of a knobber about the noise tbh. I’d ignore him.  

• Like 2

Hats off to the bloke above for trying.

@The Bounty Bar Kid  I'm flanked by 3 neighbours who are all related and one was a real ***** who used my address and the previous owners details to create an account with Very and got heaps of stuff fraudulently. So I feel your pain in having less than Ideal neighbours.

Although with unreasonable neighbors your pride may tell you to tell them to "do one" don't be rash.

Unless you plan to move, you want to settle things as amicably as possible without them thinking you're a doormat.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HEADPHONES said:

Hats off to the bloke above for trying.

@The Bounty Bar Kid  I'm flanked by 3 neighbours who are all related and one was a real ***** who used my address and the previous owners details to create an account with Very and got heaps of stuff fraudulently. So I feel your pain in having less than Ideal neighbours.

Although with unreasonable neighbors your pride may tell you to tell them to "do one" don't be rash.

Unless you plan to move, you want to settle things as amicably as possible without them thinking you're a doormat.

Unless I win the lottery or meet someone else who'd want to move, this is my forever home. So I'll try the start and drive thing. Just wasn't sure if it's bad for the engine or not.

I'm an admin for our village Facebook page and last week his sister was moaning about someone with a loud car waking her up at 7.36am. I take it that the whole family are like this. Although his mum (70/80 years old) has always seemed nice to me. I'd help her with stuff in his house when he was away or if he needed me to do something for him as he wouldn't be back for ages.

• Haha 1

I get on better with them, all bar 1 of them. She's pleasant with me but I think he gets on quite well with her but has moaned to me about her before. Not before perving on her 17 year old daughter. He's in his early 50s.

I've warned them all that on the first Monday of each month I have to get to work for 7am so have to leave at 6.30am. Otherwise leaving at 7.30am, I don't think warrants a warning.

I will throw my hat in here for what it’s worth. I consider myself to be a very reasonable guy on many levels. To be honest it’s your place of residence as much as it is anyone else in your close and you are entitled to do whatever you want within the law. Unless you are breaking the decibel law outside of the hours of the law you can do what the hell you want. I have met you and you are clearly a decent guy and have shown plenty of consideration here so credit to you. If you ate starting it and driving off in the morning I would say let him moan all he likes or better still he can move. I wouldn’t be parking my car anywhere I wouldn’t want to or entitled to so do your own thing and enjoy the great car you own..

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Payco said:

I will throw my hat in here for what it’s worth. I consider myself to be a very reasonable guy on many levels. To be honest it’s your place of residence as much as it is anyone else in your close and you are entitled to do whatever you want within the law. Unless you are breaking the decibel law outside of the hours of the law you can do what the hell you want. I have met you and you are clearly a decent guy and have shown plenty of consideration here so credit to you. If you ate starting it and driving off in the morning I would say let him moan all he likes or better still he can move. I wouldn’t be parking my car anywhere I wouldn’t want to or entitled to so do your own thing and enjoy the great car you own..

Cheers dude

• Like 1