Nuclear bombs are coming!

Ekona

There was a news story recently where there was outrage at them all being in dock being repaired or something along those lines...

The Americans have 14 Trident style subs and they always have at least 3 and sometimes as many as 8 on patrol at any time. The Americans also have free fall nukes, the ability to mount nuclear warheads on Tomahawk cruise missiles plus the 450 or so Minuteman missiles in, Wyoming, North Dakota and Montana.

Pete

There was a news story recently where there was outrage at them all being in dock being repaired or something along those lines...

The Americans have 14 Trident style subs and they always have at least 3 and sometimes as many as 8 on patrol at any time. The Americans also have free fall nukes, the ability to mount nuclear warheads on Tomahawk cruise missiles plus the 450 or so Minuteman missiles in, Wyoming, North Dakota and Montana.

Pete

They have to get close enough to use those. All short range.

Wont lie, that emergency public broadcast spooked me a little. Essentially hearing that its already too late. Doing some research if the russian TSAR warhead was to be used and dropped on Portsmouth I'd be outside the effect blast radius (not by much, a matter of ten miles) Interestingly enough Brightons not a target so Id hazard a guess at trying to make my way that way

From start to finish that was about 30 mins excluding bargain hunt. After 15 mins you'd think hmm this seems to be going south. In 15 mins I could hopefully make it to the peak district. But what is the radiation fallout like? How far does that extend from the blast radius? No point avoiding being vapourised to then grow an extra head.

Edited by Jay84

TBH I think all this is trump puffing his chest out to say look at me and how big I am, but unfortunately you never can tell whats going to happen when you have a few megalomaniac's with their itchy fingers hovering over a big red button :scare:

• Like 1

TBH I think all this is trump puffing his chest out to say look at me and how big I am, but unfortunately you never can tell whats going to happen when you have a few megalomaniac's with their itchy fingers hovering over a big red button :scare:

It's what NK has been doing for years. The problem is Trump is poking the crazies with his poking stick. But I agree (and hope) it'll fizzle out. I like to think the world keeps getting smaller as travel gets faster and war will be unceonmically viable. But what do I know, I'm a 30 something petrol head with a beer in my hand thinking he knows best lol.

• Like 1

When it gets to defcon 5 and all the warning sirens are going . . trump will then swoop in, change his tune and be remembered in his mind as the POTUS who stopped WW3 . . he will quickly forget he had the poking stick in the first place

• Like 1

To be honest I cant think of many more awful ways to go then radiation poisoning. Effectively being melted from the inside out as your cells multiply exponentially...

Still, theres no man like Dan the ninja axe wielding man ;)

• Like 1

When it gets to defcon 5 and all the warning sirens are going . . trump will then swoop in, change his tune and be remembered in his mind as the POTUS who stopped WW3 . . he will quickly forget he had the poking stick in the first place

What this stick? Noo this is a flute. My peace flute.

• Like 1

From start to finish that was about 30 mins excluding bargain hunt. After 15 mins you'd think hmm this seems to be going south. In 15 mins I could hopefully make it to the peak district. But what is the radiation fallout like? How far does that extend from the blast radius? No point avoiding being vapourised to then grow an extra head.

The news segment was just setting the scene. The emergency announcement is all we'd see. There definitely wouldn't be a 30 min broadcast announcing impending nuclear war. The news items in the clip would be over a few days with the emergency broadcast being the here and now.

Not like "there'll be an emergency message at the end of tonight's news" lol. Just the 4 or so minutes warning.

With today's nukes, not many of us would survive the immediate effects such as thermal and kinetic energy. Heat and blast zone. Flying debris etc. We'd mostly just be atomic shadows (created when the heat and light immediately bleaches a concrete wall behind you but an area which your body Sheilds the wall behind you from that extreme light and heat and thus casts a permanent shadow, your shadow, on that wall)

The weapons they'd use are so much more powerful than the Hiroshima bomb. For a start, they're hydrogen bombs now. Hiroshima was an Atom bomb. Hydrogen bombs are much more nasty. They have self sustaining fusion - fission - fusion explosions. they're essential nuclear bombs that use nuclear detonation to set off a MUCH bigger explosion. Think of throwing a grenade into a massive pile of bigger grenades.

So we have weapons in the 10s of Megaton range. That's ten million tons of TNT (dynamite) going off. All over England. The Hiroshima bomb had a yield of I think, 25kt. 25 thousands tons of dynamite. Here's a picture of hiroshima before and after the bomb, shot from the air. Left side is before. Right side is after. Completely annihilated.

before-after_zpsgf00l4lp.jpg

And ground level..

main_900-1_zpsgoznqr8v.jpg

Nuclear weapons aren't as survivable as the movies like to make out. There no hiding behind a tree or jumping into a wheelie bin at the back of McDonald's. We're not talking about hailstones lol.

So, Hiroshima wiped out everything in a 5 mile radius. Are you going to the peak district for a better view of the giant ball of plasma that is your death while you sup a Tetleys with a hot stone massage booked in after dinner at the health spa you've booked while it all blows over? lol I'm being sarcastic.

There really isn't going to be anywhere to hide in our densely populated little plot of land on this mud ball in space.

All the superheated debris post detonation would create such an immense firestorm with huge winds and temperatures that would just incinerate everything left over. There'd be so much contaminated displaced earth and debris. Practically all of our waterways, lakes, streams, ponds would be so toxic and radioactive. falling soot etc would turn them very acidic never mind the radioactivity.

We wouldn't see any sun for a long time. We'd be enduring a nuclear winter. This happens when the earth has itself become a huge fireball with all the fires started over such a large extent of the earth's surface. Debris and ashes would block out the suns rays for a period of time long enough to do irreparable damage to any plant life making it extinct. Wildlife too, would obviously no longer exist. This is England's outlook because we're such a small island. Large continents will obviously have places untouched by initial devastation and a much better chance at escaping the after effects to an extent.

So our options are

Incineration

Death over an extended time due to injuries

Death due to radiation poisoning

Death due to disease and infection

Death due to starvation/thirst

Death due to fighting over resources

Take your pick lol.

Edited by TT350
  • Like 1

No arguments from me TT and even in larger land masses it isn't something you can run from. But a man can dream...of peak District tea's and hot stone treatments lol.

Hot stone massages are great :)

Go to the Moat House Spa at Ruthin Castle in Wales. Treat your Mrs. And yourself. Trust me.

Interesting, I didnt think Hiroshima or Nagasaki were that strong in terms of yield (Im a history nut especially WW2 and the Pacific so love a good chat). From the quick research I did Hiroshima was a yield of 16KT, possibly even less due to as you it being atom and not hydrogen.

The Russian TSAR bomb has a reported yield of 50KT, thats 50 thousand sticks of dynamite. The blast radius is reported to be effectively 30 miles. I honestly think Id rather be incinerated in an instant then suffer radiation poisoning

When I was 21, I was driving around in America on my own. First full day and night drive, I was in the middle of the Mojave desert in a huge storm. No lights on the road. No other cars. No radio stations. Not even static.

Until the emergency broadcast sound came on. They test it daily there.

Poo came out of me.

It sounds like this over there (excluding the voices bit)

Edited by TT350
  • Like 1

DEFCON 2/1 would be sirens going off. DEFCON 5 would be an improvement over what we have now as that would mean we're back to "normal".

Just being pedantic. :p

I've mentioned quite a few times about a game called DEFCON but no one seems interested in playing it with me online because it's not got state of the art "wow!" graphics.

A very fun, addictive, strategic and tense game.

Demo is free and has all the options the full game has, apart from the fact you get more subs, silos and air bases. Download the demo here - it's only 56mb.

https://www.introversion.co.uk/defcon/downloads/

Edited by TT350