Staff bonuses

Flex

Ekona has it, I was just about to suggest a nice meal for them and their partner at somewhere nice but not pretentious.... obviously if they like pretentious that's fine but me I'd prefer good food over flashy table cloths.

This is winning so far. A paid holiday atm is just a little out of my reach. Great idea though.

Hard cash or leave, no one dislikes those things.

Anything else, booze, spa, vouchers whatever, you run the risk of giving them something that you might see as great but to them maybe totally useless.

Positive reinforcement is always very much appreciated, when it's sincere, too.

I worked for an American company. We used to get a Christmas bonus which usually worked out at 10% of your salary, we also got a Christmas Hamper and on the day after Whit Monday we had a family day out which was paid for by the company and we went to Alton Towers (several times), York, Chester Zoo, Blackpool, etc. Transport and meals provided :) The year after I retired we went on a day long cruise into The Irish Sea on one of The Mersey Ferries. Retirees didn't get the bonus but got the hamper and family day. Shift workers who were working on Family Day got a day off to take when they pleased. Never got a thing when I worked for British Steel.

Pete

• Like 1

Agree with what most have said above. Cash bump at pay day or expense a nice meal or 'outing'. I usually struggle to use all my holiday days as it is (we are mega busy) so extra days is not really a help.

We tend to do a few team outings reach year - go karting, clay shooting, bowling etc, followed by a nice meal and some cheeky beers. This goes down great with us :D

Appreciate your team are a little older, but I think the gesture would be more appreciated than 'here's some cash'.

I agree with Matt, unless £100-£300 would substantially affect their month in terms of living quality then I think an 'event' such as a meal out on us is the way to go. Certainly if anyone get asked what they think of their place of work, I am sure they wouldn't say 'its great I got £100 this year as a bonus' but if you treated their family to a night out it would be much more appreciated. Imagine they can go home and announce hey we are having a night out great food and drink courtesy of the company I work for, would land much better.

If you were talking £1000-£3000 then its a whole different ball game.

You say they are women over 50, how about giving them say a Friday off and organise a Pamper day with afternoon tea at a nice local Hotel (a stately home type, you know what I mean). My other half is 50 this year and her (and her mates) love this type of thing

• Like 1

I work for a big well known global firm, and naturally, the benefits are good. Most importantly, we get a little booklet of 'Ticket Restaurant Vouchers', with 100 euros of coupons in it every month, this is lunch allowance. You can spend them in almost any restaurant, or at the supermarket, and they are not 1 euro off this or 20% off that, they are usable as cash. I can hand over as many as needed to pay a bill.

This fits in very nicely with what I believe is the best idea so far from Dan, a classy night out for two, each. There are two bonuses in this for the employer...one, if you're clever, they are tax free to the business and to the employee, and I believe the vouchers themselves are slightly cheaper than face value, but that may be a volume thing. Just thought I'd mention it, as it;s less crude than cash, but almost as useful.

Edited by Aashenfox

Just another thought mate, depends on where you are located obviously, but I work for a pretty big company in London and as usual you get loads of benefits such as healthcare/gym etc. one of which though is a free Tastecard each year. Again depends on where they live and if there are places nearby that are part of the Tastecard network, but maybe something like this along with a main gift might be a nice gesture.

Personally ive never liked it when companies try and give you anything other than cash as a "bonus". Id much rather have cash in my hand then I can spend it on whatever I want.

In general with all the previous companies ive worked for they spend the whole year raving about how well they are doing, then as soon as it starts to approach Christmas they suddenly change tune and say they arnt doing as well or havent met the totally unrealistic targets they set, in order to avoid paying any Christmas bonus. But then they will happily put on a works Christmas party costing thousands for the staff when most of them would rather the cash in their pocket at what is an expensive time of the year.

I gave my team a Christmas bonus this year of a grand each. Of course, they had to tax on it. My boss on the other hand, decided not to give me any bonus, mainly because they are American and apparently dont believe in such things. Bit like how they have only given me one pay rise in 8 years and yet I give my team a yearly pay rise if they have performed well.

It does really depend on the business though, our company are great at working hard towards the end of the year on costs to ensure we hit target for the cash bonuses in March. But in addition we get other benefits which reduce your tax payments and ultimately means in equity terms you are up on just a straight salary+cash bonus approach. There are also the optional benefits like childcare vouchers which when purchased through the company mean tax savings and effectively cash back in my pocket (I pay £74 a month for the £124 worth of childcare vouchers for instance). The pension scheme here is also excellent, the company more than doubling your own contributions you put in for example.

I also think people misread what a cash bonus is, if they don't get it because the company under-performed, they feel they have missed out. But ultimately a bonus is exactly that, something extra, a bonus. No one should ever plan their life around getting it each year.

And in terms of your company Stew, sounds like some very dodgy accounting going on. They should be doing regular reviews on targets vs performance in 2+10, 5+7 reviews etc. and adjusting costs and targets accordingly. Additionally the targets for each team should be made clear and progress/review against them updated through the year.

@coldel that's been my attitude with regards to bonuses, I don't expect them and I certainly don't count on them.

@stew I also work for a large American company and it's the first I've heard they don't do 'bonuses' and in fact I remember the first year I had a direct American manager he took a look at my salary and compensation package told me it wasn't good enough so gave me a fantastic bonus (~25% at the time) which I put towards my zed. I'm only mentioning it because from my experience bonuses are the done thing.

I think your US manager is pocketing your bonus.

• Like 1

All the ladies I know love a spa hotel. Perhaps pay for each with a +1 for an overnight stay and evening meal and a treatment voucher. They can choose their own treatment, pay extra if they want more etc. They will most likely have free use of gym, sauna, hot tub, pool etc. With a +1 they can take a friend or their partner.

They will remember it far longer than they will a few extra quid in their pocket.

My current employer is a small family run affair with around 40 employees.

Each year for the 6 I've been there we have had 3 bottles of wine from them delivered at Christmas. Think it was normally about £70 worth.

Also used to get a £500 annual bonus....but then the oil price crashed and that put an end to that. Still get the wine though.

Nice meal out with their family. Tell them just to send you the bill, let them pick. They'll probably go somewhere nice but won't take the mick, but you could have a bottle of champagne or something waiting for them upon arrival.

That reminds me - I took the wife on a long weekend to Amsterdam for her birthday a few years back - but it was a surprise for her, to do it I needed her boss to give her Friday off but not tell her and fair play he rearranged her diary on Thursday night and text me to say all was good he asked me where we were going and where we were staying and wished us an enjoyable weekend, when we arrived at the hotel there was a box of chocolates and a bottle of champagne waiting with a "thank you for all your hard work" note from her boss - it didn't cost a lot but the thought that went into it and to actually take the time to do it really was very nice, so yes money is always great to get but sometimes it's not just the £££££££ that make you feel good :)

• Like 3

Ha.

We get some nice presents for our two staff each Christmas. Family business, personal and thoughtful stuff.

It's been a slow year for the business but just on a sentimental whim I gave them a card on Christmas Eve with a £50 slipped in.

Discovered this week the mother-flockers have been nicking for what looks like years and had to sack 'em both. ..

Pfft