What is it we do?....

AMT

So coming home from work tonight, sitting in traffic and some ...person in a newer shape Scooby WRX, STI, QPZ, whatever it is, keeps going past (due to traffic movement) and every single time they feel the need to subtly rev the engine as they pass me. I'm not even looking and initially hadn't even bothered about it. Then as we got closer to the roundabout he sped off to the left, him and the smell of drugs from the window. :dry:

Few nights ago I had a modified Focus ST sitting up my backside also. I was driving fine, even when I hit the 60 road, just went up to speed and continued, hes 'lunging' forward every so often as if to egg me on, eventually over taking and then again rather dangerously on a blind hill.

This has happened loads of times in the past too and its usually either modded hatches or japanese stuff. So what is it about the Z (I'm sure other cars too though) that others want to 'race'. My car has an exhaust system and tinted windows...thats it, it basically looks standard, so its not like I've got bumpers and big giant pipes hanging out waving people to 'have a go'.

Is it because the Z (in its day) was a reasonably powerful thing and had the big engine so people want to try and see how their car compares etc? Or is it cos' its so different looking to hot hatches with its hunches etc that people want to chase.

I don't mind having a short blast at stuff but it can be tiresome when you know its just some ....person.. shall we say that's just trying to be a bit of an ar*e lol. :lol: These are usually the people undertaking others to show 'who da man'. :yawn:

Edited by AMT

I think its universal and sometimes the strangest things trying to "race" (vans etc), i have also had the focus st, i saw the dad say something to his son in the passenger seat, the lad then turned round to look and with that the dad floored it.

I must admit i do enjoy it when they are trying to impress their girlfriends.......

Edited by Jetpilot
  • Like 1

I quite enjoy having a spirited drive with someone in another sports/sporty car. As long as neither party takes it seriously or make it into a "race" then it can actually be nice to have another "driver" to drive alongside. It's happened to me a couple of times, where either myself or the other party has come up alongside me and given each other a nod or thumbs up to acknowledge each other. Then either we just carry on as normal, or they go ahead, I catch up, they move over, and vice versa.

But like you said not when it's someone trying to be a bit of a show-off and doing dangerous things - and especially not the hot hatches who are always trying to "prove" themselves. Those ones I just let go ahead...until a few yards up where traffic is building :lol:

• Like 2

Haha, love that wee vid. :lol:

I totally agree Chirag, I've had plenty of times with similar powered or even higher powered cars, quick blast, quick bit of fun, little bit of a comparison, flash of indicators and back to normal. The ones you don't want are those who are undertaking, overtaking, up yer backside kinda fool.

We can all be 'idiots', especially driving these types of cars and in no doubt you will be to someone, even if you are simply overtaking with plenty of room to get past, but there are differences between enjoying your car and possibly causing danger to others, even yourself as you don't want emergency services wasting time on your silly antics when they could be with someone who needs it. :thumbs:

Just wanted a general opinion on what we think 'drives' the action as such lol

Edited by AMT
  • Like 2

I quite enjoy having a spirited drive with someone in another sports/sporty car. As long as neither party takes it seriously or make it into a "race" then it can actually be nice to have another "driver" to drive alongside. It's happened to me a couple of times, where either myself or the other party has come up alongside me and given each other a nod or thumbs up to acknowledge each other. Then either we just carry on as normal, or they go ahead, I catch up, they move over, and vice versa.

Love playing a bit of leapfrog :dry:

• Like 3

The Zed's a rare car on the roads and something abit different. I think any young car guys see it as the follow up to the 200sx which years ago could be seen often charging up and down the dual carriageways always keen for a blast.

Stay safe and as legal as possible with a 70mph speed limit but most of all use lane discipline ie no undertaking or darting off a motorway from middle or outside lane. When all is said and done the drivers respect and feeling for his car reflects in the driving style.

Surely the best track day is room to lap against the track rather than race? Nothing more boring than Imprezza club days in the nineties tailing round. Similarly I now just use motorways/dual carriage ways to find good A B and C roads away from towns and other drivers... best way to enjoy your own car.

See this type of thread on here every few months or so - no, its not a Zed thing, not at all. Its pretty much down to the other drivers being a bit divvy and probably did the same thing to the next performance car they came across 10 minutes down the road. I had a it a few times in my Zed, hardly ever in my VX, almost all the time in the R33 and a few times in the Celica. The R33 was an utter magnet for this sort of thing.

As above though in terms of giving it a little bit of beans, I am a proper Miss Daisy behind the wheel but once in the R33 had an Evo come up next to me on a dual carriage way the guy and his girl looked across and gave a thumbs up, we both gunned it for a few seconds - the noise was immense, then he pulled in behind me with a smile and flashed his lights and I gave the appropriate thumbs up out the window.

Oh and the video above, is illegal in the UK! I have a mate in the Celica forum who is a copper and he did this once and scared the hell out of the other driver, but it is illegal for off duty policeman to flash the badge in the UK.

• Like 2

Oh and the video above, is illegal in the UK! I have a mate in the Celica forum who is a copper and he did this once and scared the hell out of the other driver, but it is illegal for off duty policeman to flash the badge in the UK.

But if you're on duty, just not in uniform (undercover or whatever)??

But if you're on duty, just not in uniform (undercover or whatever)??

Who knows. I would imagine you cannot even as a plain clothed officer use the badge to influence people who are not breaking the law i.e. walk into a bar flash the badge to get served quicker like you see in Hollywood movies and the like

• Like 1

I had an audi on a dual carriage way wanting to race me last weekend but I paid no heed, other than that so far I haven't had any grief in the zed. My old skylines however were a different story. Every kid at the lights wanted a go and so many other turbo car owners I suppose wanting to know if they could beat a skyline.

I must say I have had all sorts of cars, modified for looks or performance in their own way (most of them standing out a mile) and the Zed is the worst one Ive had for this kind of thing. From the moment I picked it up I had a BMW 118d up my chuff along with all manner of other cars, I just pulled over to let each one go past.

In the Zed I have even had Zafira's, Galaxy's and other such vehicles sit up my chuff trying to push me on. Along with the usual spotty, Burberry capped, kappa tracksuit wearing, pre-pubescent teenagers in their stereotypical chav-mobiles. I tend to just pull over and let people past me now as I really can't be bothered getting mixed up in all that.

Although you can tell the difference between a real car enthusiast that enjoys his car and driving and those that have gone out and bought a car 'coz its rapid bruv'. Its the true enthusiasts that drive more sensibly and just enjoy the drive rather than the race that I like to get amongst. I was heading down the A46 a couple of months ago and a gorgeously modified RX-8 went past, we played leapfrog for around 15 miles and we were both deliberately staying in low gears keeping the revs slightly higher than usual to drown the surrounding environment with our hideously loud, deep toned exhaust notes. As soon as we caught up with traffic we simply slowed down and waited for appropriate over taking opportunities, where we took it in turns to take the lead. Was an enjoyable drive and we gave a smile and a wave to each other before drowning the environment once again with our exhaust notes as we took separate exits at the . At no point did we race or were aggressive and dangerous etc and was enjoyable for the 2 of us.

Agree thats its not just the Zed but the fact mine is bright friggin' orange I suppose I should expect a little bit of attention from other road users haha.

• Like 1

The Zed does attract this kind of shite, but no more than any other Japanese sportscar with a reputation. I once got raped by a Carerra 4 in my old DE and it wasn't even close. I took note of the guys license plate in case I ever saw him again and as luck would have it, I made a complete fool out of him with the 380.

Cautionary tale about identifying base models but racing unicorns.

Never really have a problem with other cars getting right up my arse. Though that could be because I rarely drive on the motorway, and when I do, It for almost 3 hours at a time, so I just cruise in the slow lane (until I see a nice car, then I'll follow them for a bit and maybe have a play :dry: )

No, the problem I have is people in front of me driving 10-20mph below the speed limit or stomping on the brakes repeatedly for no apparent reason. :bang:

• Like 4

AMT if they saw your performances on the strip at crail di you think they'd still want to race you?

Aw c'mon a 14.4 @ 102 is not bad, it'll def touch into 13's but maybe not with me haha. Did you go visit the Q60?? Prob be something people might latch onto, its a looker (cept for your dreaded c-pillar :p )

No one ever chased me in my old Coupe... wonder why :lol:;)

I once got raped by a Carerra 4 in my old DE and it wasn't even close.

Cautionary tale about identifying base models but racing unicorns.

Reminds me of when I had my Capri 2.8i, a quick car in its day, I took on a kit car on The A55 and expected to lose ground at first but catch up later, didn't quite work out like that though, he was still pulling away at 28 day ban speed !!

Pete

• Like 1