What is it we do?....

AMT

So for starters, I'm probably the calmest person I know, and that includes on the road. I don't road rage, but there is a strong feeling of bewilderment.

Fair enough if you don't feel comfortable going the speed limit when the conditions aren't ideal (road, weather etc). It's quite often ridiculously foggy round here on my commute and we all crawl through the 50 zones at 25-30, and that's cool, I'm okay with that. Another example would be a stretch of road which is a 40, but it's crazy tight and there's some really sharp corners. Again, I wouldn't really mind if you drop down to 10 through there.

However, when it's dry, clear, and a straight, wide road with no traffic, you have no real excuse for feeling uncomfortable going the speed limit. Even the really slow people manage 50 on the motorway, and that's usually in narrower lanes than A roads and there's traffic moving about all around you.

Also wish people would learn how the different speed cameras work. If it's one of these:

truvelo-speed-camera.jpg

Then you only need to worry about them if they are facing you, and even then, only when you get to the 3 black lines in the road right in front of them.

What if you feel tired, you have been driving all day, you are ill, you have 4 other people in the car and its a lot heavier than normal, what if you have a passenger that has an ailment and doing 50 on the country roads regardless of condition is uncomfortable for them...the list goes on. My points I guess are mixed in amongst all of it - never assume someone going slowly is not capable of driving, chances are they can but they choose not to do the speed limit, there could be a very good reason for it. Also that there will always be much better drivers than all of us out there (yes Dan, even better than you mate!) who if they took the same attitude could get out the car when you slow for corners and dress you down as being unsuitable for the road because you are not up to their capabilities - I guarantee there are people out there who can go point to point much faster than you at the speed limit, lets hope they do not wish you off the road for being slower than them.

Well you shouldn't be driving when tired or ill in the first place. As for additional weight, assuming the car can still reach the speed limit, then as long as you account for additional stopping distance by leaving a larger gap in front, you should have no issue going the speed limit (when it's safe to do so).

I'm not sure what ailment makes 50 on country roads uncomfortable (genuinely), but it's much smoother than going over any speed bumps at any speed.

If there is a valid reason, then my disagreement doesn't apply, but I can't believe the multiple people I get stuck behind every single day all have a valid reason. There's one hill in particular with a 40 speed limit and every single day I get stuck behind someone going 30 stomping on the brakes every 5 seconds then accelerating again. You don't even need to use the throttle to get to 40, take your foot completely off and if you pick the gear right you'll cruise down at 40 without having to touch the throttle or brake. It's practically a straight road with excellent visibility, and no matter how hard I try I can't work out their reasoning. I can only think it used to be a 30 and people aren't bothering to look at the many signposts with a massive "40" on them. It's not even like they are being more economical...

Edited by Strudul

Well you shouldn't be driving when tired or ill in the first place. As for additional weight, assuming the car can still reach the speed limit, then as long as you account for additional stopping distance by leaving a larger gap in front, you should have no issue going the speed limit (when it's safe to do so).

I'm not sure what ailment makes 50 on country roads uncomfortable (genuinely), but it's much smoother than going over any speed bumps at any speed.

If there is a valid reason, then my disagreement doesn't apply, but I can't believe the multiple people I get stuck behind every single day all have a valid reason. There's one hill in particular with a 40 speed limit and every single day I get stuck behind someone going 30 stomping on the brakes every 5 seconds. You don't even need to use the throttle to get to 40, take your foot completely off and if you pick the gear right you'll cruise down at 40 without having to touch the throttle or brake. It's practically a straight road with excellent visibility, and no matter how hard I try I can't work out their reasoning. I can only think it used to be a 30 and people aren't bothering to look at the many signposts with a massive "40" on them.

Not sure the extra weight will make the car handle so well - ailments, err pregnancy would be the first that springs to mind.

I guess ultimately as I say, we are all much more competent drivers on here, I presume under the same argument everything that we are not competent at be it sport, our jobs, anything really that we are not as good as everyone else at gives them the right to lose patience with us and think FFS and want us removed from the equation.

Im going to stop here actually as I am going around in circles a bit and remaking the argument - we all have our preferences for what we think of other road users.

Ailment:

noun. 1. a physical disorder or illness

I'm not sure I'd like to be described that way if I was pregnant :lol:

Personally I haven't noticed much, if any, difference in terms of ride comfort between 30 and 50 unless the road surface is awful, but as I said, that's not where I take issue. All the roads I have issues on are perfectly smooth (or as good as they come in the UK :dry: ), unless you are aiming for the drain covers...

It's just hard to understand how people feel incompetent above 30mph on a straight, open road, but I feel that in the majority of cases it's just stubbornness, not a lack of ability. Either way, it's no excuse for not letting someone pass.

If you're walking on the pavement slowly (for whatever reason) and someone wants to get past, you wouldn't continue to block the path and not let them pass, would you? Maybe you didn't see the person behind you, but in a car that is not an excuse, so you can not claim ignorance.

Edited by Strudul

And if they are the only one on the road, then fair enough, but show a little courtesy for the others drivers on the road who don't want to be forced to do the same by either letting them pass or doing a sensible speed.

People seem to forget that manners exist when they are in a car.

Not playing devils advocate and appreciate your stand point (to a degree), i dont think anyone drives down the road and thinks f*ck it, i am going to do 10 or 20 mph less than the indicated limit just because i can and its my choice, they are doing it solely because they are not capable of doing the national speed limit because they are not confident at said speed or confident in the roads (twisty a or b roads) and whilst we all have the choice to do whatever speed we deem fit up to the national speed limit if you dont have the confidence to drive at national speed limits, why would you want to be there in the first place, use public transport.

My mum regularly says to me, i am not sure about my driving, so i go for a spin with her, on her own accord she has actively chosen to stop driving on dual carriage ways and mways (fortunately she doesnt really need to) because she doesnt feel comfortable at those speeds and has chosen to give up driving in the dark and if i went for a spin and i said, mum that was shocking, she would stop because she sees herself as a danger and hindrance to other road users, as Strudl says, most drivers are selfish and ignorant, even the ones who drive fast ;)

Edited by Jetpilot

No point stressing about slow drivers it's getting to your destination in one piece that counts :)

Anyway there are plenty of LGV drivers etc that are required to drive more slowly by law, I would rather have a car in front driving slowly than a brick wall of a truck with less opportunity to overtake safely.

I must concede however that woefully slow drivers especially at peak times do border on driving without consideration for other road users and unknowingly may be committing an offence as such. I stopped a gent once for travelling at 20 mph on the A3. This was a 70mph stretch and the driver was elderly and rather confused. He produced his licence a few days later which was the old red book format. Rather than face any legal wrangle for careless driving he held his hands up and surrendered his licence finally acknowledging his time behind the wheel was over.

The main issue as I see it is the frustration caused to others who want to make decent legal progress. This forces other drivers to risk dodgy overtakes etc.

Edited by Zeezeebaba
  • Like 4

No point stressing about slow drivers it's getting to your destination in one piece that counts :)

Anyway there are plenty of LGV drivers etc that are required to drive more slowly by law, I would rather have a car in front driving slowly than a brick wall of a truck with less opportunity to overtake safely.

I must concede however that woefully slow drivers especially at peak times do border on driving without consideration for other road users and unknowingly may be committing an offence as such. I stopped a gent once for travelling at 20 mph on the A3. This was a 70mph stretch and the driver was elderly and rather confused. He produced his licence a few days later which was the old red book format. Rather than face any legal wrangle for careless driving he held his hands up and surrendered his licence finally acknowledging his time behind the wheel was over.

The main issue as I see it is the frustration caused to others who want to make decent legal progress. This forces other drivers to risk dodgy overtakes etc.

Post of the day :thumbs: . I don't know about the red book license though. I had one of those, may still have it stashed away, but from what I remember they were renewable every 12 months then in the 70's they briefly switched to 3 (or was it 5?) year licenses before moving to a one off payment of a tenner (1975 or 1976) for a paper license to age 70 (I'm still using mine) , maybe this guy never got around to renewing his?

Pete

Other day on the outside lane of two-lane motorway I got stuck behind someone in a Fiat 500 doing 35mph and weaving.

I thought I was a cynical twot but it turns out I'm the only Christian motorist in these parts. I sat behind him for a bit to see what was going on, gave him some room etc. Everybody else judged him as an impediment (not a human-being) and barrelled up the inside lane like a big 70mph train. So he's totally trapped now. How's it going to get better from there?

FFS, he's obviously got something going wrong - he's in limp-home mode, broken gearbox perhaps... there was a really low sun ahead - maybe he'd run out of wiper fluid.

So I dived to the left and tapped on the brakes to warn the left lane. Slowed to his speed and held them up. Flashed the guy and he gratefully headed to the hard shoulder.

But it turned into 3 lanes just at that point so the knob behind me in a Freelander whipped up the inside, gestured at me and sped off...

He got some twos but that was about it... couldn't be bothered.

Edited by Kieran O'Quick

This stop was circa 1996 and it was the first time I had seen a red booklet licence. It had about four or five pages in it if I recall.

Yes, the pages were for endorsements and they were stamped on just like on a passport. They didn't have a points system back then, just added up your endorsements, I think 4 in 3 years was the limit. Of course I'm no expert :) but there were less things you could pick up endorsements for back then, like for example bald tyres and they didn't "grade" your endorsements.

Pete

• Like 1

I actually prefer how other drivers treat the zed.

When I drive my wife's mini every Tom Dick and Harry seems to cut in front of me and bully me if I'm in the outside lane.

Drive right up my backside as if to say "your girly car belongs on the left"

Might be due to the big Hello Kitty air freshener dangling from the rear view mirror :lol:

In the Zed however people tend to give me more space than I need.

For example I'll be in the slow lane. Up ahead in the distance is a bus stationary at a bus stop. Many a time the drivers in the fast lane leave a big gap for me to overtake even when I'm just chilling ready to wait for the bus. They probably see the zed and anticipate an aggressive overtake!

In the Mini it'd normally be the opposite.

Would definitely say the aboves true and ive noticed it, used to get hounded left right and center in the old Honda. People tend to leave me alone in the majority of the time which suits me fine

Wish Id have more pleasant experiences with the police though. When I first got the car i was pulled over religiously. One copper even said to me "how does a lad like you afford a car like this?'

Considering id done about a years worth of night shifts, made me feel pretty crappy. His face when he found out it wasnt stolen or loaned etc with modifications declared was priceless though. Congratulations you played yourself

• Like 2

HGVs are easier to overtake than cars. Deathly slow to accelerate, very predictable in their movements, they're just a bit longer so adjust your road placing to obtain the best view. :)

Your TED when overtaking a lorry shouldn't really be any more than if it was a car, especially in something with a bit of oomph.

When I'm in charge, anyone that has an accident on a straight bit of road gets an instaban for a year. There's just no way it should be possible for motorways to have accidents every single day.

This is alongside my long-standing snipers-on-roundabouts for those who don't indicate pledge.

Funnily enough, yesterday I saw the aftermath of a huge collison. It was on a long straight with great road conditions.

Ooooft! I come back and this threads shot off haha. Went from boy racers to driving standard quicker than my Z gets to 60 :lol:

I agree with most points given, we ALL have poor driving skills to a degree (Even Ekona :lol:;) ) from the very nature that we are car lovers. Even accelerating hard as hell on a straight could be considered by some as poor driving, bad habits etc. It all comes down to a bit of common sense and hope the other people near you... have some too.

I agree its frustrating when people are doing lower than the speed limit and I damn well will overtake them when its safe to do, because I can in a car like the Z, however I also agree that you should take the issue with a pinch of salt or whatever the saying is, as you don't know why... they could have something up (limp mode, slow puncture etc), they could be driving at their comfort level (which is fine) or simply not paying attention to conditions. Either way we're all lucky enough to have the power to overtake in most instances, just make sure its safe and won't caused them further stress. And it just depends on you but I look into things a lot more in detail (habit), watching where the drivers maybe looking, what he could do next and.... despite a person being just as important as anyone else, if I'm thinking about overtaking then I catch a glimpse of the top of a babyseat, I ease back just out of consideration, but thats just me. We're all different.

No one is better than anyone else, just some have more experience, some have more thought process or identification when watching the road, at some point you'll mess up. I try to be as good as possible, not causing others issues, cutting people up, giving people freights as you pass, but you don't know how they'll react. I like most will consider myself ok, but didn't stop me years ago looking at a heater control on my last car and accidentally kissing the kerb with my wheel going down a corner turn. :lol: I've passed people with plenty of room and consideration and they will still flash sometimes just cos' ...

Just be safe, enjoy the car, have a bit of fun when you can but be mindful of others and yourself. I love a good moral conversation lol (see my threads can be not bad...) B):lol:

• Like 1

Would definitely say the aboves true and ive noticed it, used to get hounded left right and center in the old Honda. People tend to leave me alone in the majority of the time which suits me fine

Wish Id have more pleasant experiences with the police though. When I first got the car i was pulled over religiously. One copper even said to me "how does a lad like you afford a car like this?'

Considering id done about a years worth of night shifts, made me feel pretty crappy. His face when he found out it wasnt stolen or loaned etc with modifications declared was priceless though. Congratulations you played yourself

I had this when going to visit a friend once in my zed. Cops pulled me over, talking to me as if I've stolen the car. Gave them my licence and insurance details and proved I was legit, and then they tried to become all "chummy" with me, asking me how much I bought the car for, how much I've spent on it, what's the economy like :wacko: I just told them I've got somewhere to be, so if they're done with their checks I'll be on my way. They then tried to say they were letting me off a £200 for my front and rear number plates! The cheek! :angry:

HGVs are easier to overtake than cars. Deathly slow to accelerate, very predictable in their movements, they're just a bit longer so adjust your road placing to obtain the best view. :)

Your TED when overtaking a lorry shouldn't really be any more than if it was a car, especially in something with a bit of oomph.

Your right but also wrong. The distance required to safely overtake a large articulated vehicle does indeed rely on line of site, during peak times on the average B road your distance for line of site alone could be up to three times the length of the truck in question. Not only do you need to make up that ground but also pull in safely relative to the trucks speed however slow that may be.

I wouldn't say the driver in any vehicle regardless of size is predictable in their actions, one mistake by a truck your overtaking and your in the ditch :)

• Like 1

Makes me angry there are so many idiots on the road. e.g. those who overtake on the motorway impatiently tailgate and constantly put their brakes on (we all make small mistakes once in awhile but some people are just a liability). Then there are the ones who put their brakes on around every bend every time another car comes their way. Then there are the ones who drive over the middle line around bends!! see this so much it's shocking!.

Then there are the commuters who rush but don't get any further.. I don't understand their logic... hmm be a few minutes late... or have an accident be there even later or worst cause someones death... if they are so worried about being late maybe its time for a new job or leave earlier.

I agree with the above, I personally pull back and see everything option not just sit at the back of the lorry and anticipate whether that lorry may need to slow or stop especially where there are traffic lights on a dual carriageway.

Was going down the motorway the other day after Xmas shopping in Bluewater and some absolute waste of space in a teal astra coupe (older shape) with a dustbin on the back and tinted windows decided to drive right up my backside whilst I was in the outside lane whilst I was overtaking keeping my distance from the car in front. They then decided to try an undertake and cut in just as I was passing the car in the middle lane (heard the sound of a tin can straining). slammed on their brakes they couldn't figure the logic that I actually didn't slam my brakes on to let them undertake to overtake the car I was already overtaking ... Looked in my mirror then they dangerously overtook that same said car, the idiot driver then undertook me and then cut right in front and was trying to push the car in front of me of the road whilst legitimately overtaking vehicles on a busy stretch. They were then back in the middle lane clearly giving it all and then violently swung across 3 lanes to come off a junction, these are the drivers who need to be punished.

On a positive note it can be quite nice when you see a fellow car enthauasist and they are not acting like idiots and just enjoy the drive and have that mutual controlled overtake on a clear motorway whilst keeping at an acceptable pace / distance.

The best one I get though is you must find it hard to drive normally with that thing.. I give two answers, sometimes it's nice to enjoy the drive on the correct road, as I am a tightass I don't really go that fast just nice to enjoy cruising and do manage more than 30mpg at times!!. I must say though I get a lot more grief on the roads in the runaround than I do in the Zed.

i have noticed that it is young ladies in Renault Clios that tend to drive how they damn well like where i am. As if no one else is on the road at all and there are no road markings of any kind, no give way signs, no lines on junctions etc. Speed doesn't make a bad driver, nor does driving 10 mph below the limit, it's peoples' unawareness of others, who don't use their mirrors, who indicate too late or not at all that makes a dangerous driver more than anything else. That pisses me off to the maximus.