What is it we do?....

AMT

Sometimes it can be a pleasurable experience.

In the Alps just over the border from Austria, in Italy, me and the Mrs found ourselves on one of the most sublime roads Europe can offer, twisty with every apex sweeping and good vision ahead, empty, bar the Maserati sitting behind me.

Had the conversation with my Mrs as to what was about to happen and she gave full permission to have a play :). Well Mr Maserati must have had the same conversation with his Mrs :lol: As the road spun out in front of us, we got faster and bolder, fantastic 10-15 miles with just the two of us having a blast.

At the beginning, he had the natural talent, or so i perceived, but as we got into it, it became clear that I was better than he thought (or me for that matter :lol). It was fantastic, the noise alone was monumental, two big V8's blasting through the mountains. Once my Mrs had, had enough, I slowed down to let him catch up and overtake. He and his good lady, had the biggest smiles and gave big thumbs up on the way past.

Sometimes, when you know it's right, this is a great game.

On the other hand, when I had my RX8, I tried to give a 350z owner some respect on a bit of motorway (A5000 coming off the M6) and he scowled and tailgaited for miles before, easily passing me, just for giving him a thumbs up, he was a K-nob, it got me thinking though, that I wanted more torque, as he overtook me like I was going backwards:lol:

• Like 4

Can confirm it's the same over here. Last 5 cars have been an S2000, an EP3 Type R, an E92 335i, a Mini Cooper S and the Z...

All attracted knobs that wanted to race. Such is life. I don't mind. When I'm in the mood, let's go!

By the way, none attracted the police like the Z does. I've had it out three times so far and been stopped twice (to be fair to the coppers, first time I had a low rear tyre). I actually think it's the Sunset Orange that's responsible for that mainly.

Edited by Aashenfox

I think people may do it to zed drivers like any other, but only to hear that fantastic V6 pull away. i've had the same thing as everyone else who drives an iconic car. Some colonel bum cheddar pulls up to your bumper like Grace Jones and tries to park in your boot. I may have been bothered when i was younger but i just can be arsed these days to blow someone into the weeds and think " HA! , that'll learn ya " Just let them carry on. They'll have a great accident one day thanks to their anti-social driving style and that'll be the end of their precious Subaru/Evo/MPS/ST/RS or whatever the hell it is.

• Like 1

Happens in any performance car.

I bet some of the people posting in this thread are guilty of exactly the same thing anyway :lol:

As long as it's done in a respectful manner I have no issues, problem is you never know who you're dealing with and quite often the other driver may take things too far and start driving like a d*ck.

I tend not to bother since I got the ST, I got into it with an impreza STI a few days after having it and pulled on him pretty easy from a roll in 3rd. That satisfied my ego and now I just let people get on with it.

On a similar note, and at risk of coming across completely wrong, does anyone else find that every other person on the road drives slower than them too? I don't mean on motorways and boring stuff where any muppet who wants to risk his licence can sit at 100mph, I mean on the bendy A and B roads.

I don't even mean driving balls to the wall in your Zed: More that on any given road, you'll get stuck behind a car that will not do 60mph in an NSL on the straights, and will always slow down much more than you actually need to for the corners so you always end up catching them up and then getting stuck behind them. My daily route to work takes me on the A131 between Halstead and High Garrett, and without fail I'm by far the quickest vehicle on that stretch, even in the truck and not even booting it everywhere. I find it incredibly frustrating that people cannot read the road to figure out how tight a bend might be, nor be able to figure out the capability of their car to carry a bit of speed and avoid braking to a stop.

It makes driving more of a pain than it should be, especially when it's a lovely sunny day and you're stuck behind a Golf R being driven at 50mph and slowing down for every single bend. No chance of overtaking that in a 2 ton truck!

• Like 3

On a similar note, and at risk of coming across completely wrong, does anyone else find that every other person on the road drives slower than them too? I don't mean on motorways and boring stuff where any muppet who wants to risk his licence can sit at 100mph, I mean on the bendy A and B roads.

I don't even mean driving balls to the wall in your Zed: More that on any given road, you'll get stuck behind a car that will not do 60mph in an NSL on the straights, and will always slow down much more than you actually need to for the corners so you always end up catching them up and then getting stuck behind them. My daily route to work takes me on the A131 between Halstead and High Garrett, and without fail I'm by far the quickest vehicle on that stretch, even in the truck and not even booting it everywhere. I find it incredibly frustrating that people cannot read the road to figure out how tight a bend might be, nor be able to figure out the capability of their car to carry a bit of speed and avoid braking to a stop.

It makes driving more of a pain than it should be, especially when it's a lovely sunny day and you're stuck behind a Golf R being driven at 50mph and slowing down for every single bend. No chance of overtaking that in a 2 ton truck!

...........or mongtards that hit their brakes at every oncoming vehicle

On a similar note, and at risk of coming across completely wrong, does anyone else find that every other person on the road drives slower than them too? I don't mean on motorways and boring stuff where any muppet who wants to risk his licence can sit at 100mph, I mean on the bendy A and B roads. I don't even mean driving balls to the wall in your Zed: More that on any given road, you'll get stuck behind a car that will not do 60mph in an NSL on the straights, and will always slow down much more than you actually need to for the corners so you always end up catching them up and then getting stuck behind them. My daily route to work takes me on the A131 between Halstead and High Garrett, and without fail I'm by far the quickest vehicle on that stretch, even in the truck and not even booting it everywhere. I find it incredibly frustrating that people cannot read the road to figure out how tight a bend might be, nor be able to figure out the capability of their car to carry a bit of speed and avoid braking to a stop. It makes driving more of a pain than it should be, especially when it's a lovely sunny day and you're stuck behind a Golf R being driven at 50mph and slowing down for every single bend. No chance of overtaking that in a 2 ton truck!
...........or mongtards that hit their brakes at every oncoming vehicle

YES.

No, the problem I have is people in front of me driving 10-20mph below the speed limit or stomping on the brakes repeatedly for no apparent reason. :bang:

Yes, it is particularly evident when I'm driving the Up! It has 3 cylinders and I'm still shouting 'ffs, MOVE it!' to everyone on the road.

/shrug

Its less about maths and more about if people are driving legally. 50 is the upper speed limit, it isn't the recommended speed for that road. If someone is driving at 30 its because that's the speed they feel comfortable and safe at. Personally I just patiently sit and wait and take my chance when its safe to. Why let it bother you?

• Like 1

That's not my point at all, its more around why should you get so wound up about it, its out of your control, the other person is not doing it deliberately to wind anyone up, you can do nothing apart from overtake when its safe, why get wound up about it? Like I say, not everyone else on the road is as good a driver...

Oh I don't get road ragey or anything, it's just frustrating to see the incredibly poor driving standards. They should be making good progress, to not be is just as selfish as middle lane hogging or not indicating at roundabouts.

I'm talking about holding a drift at 60mph on an off-camber blind bend, I'm talking about being able to cruise round a gentle bend at 60mph on part throttle easily.

Middle lane hogging I agree, is illegal and should be treated with disdain. I know my wife Rebecca will probably do about 40 in a 50 on say a country road, as soon as little Alfie is strapped in the back she is probably one of the 30-35mph people though driving those roads. Just one of those things really.

If people are generally slow it is quite frustrating, but i despise those drivers who sit an inch of your bumper on a straight, but come a corner they are nowhere to be seen when you come out of the bend, only to then accelerate up to your chuff again, repeat process at every bend.

I failed my first driving test for driving too slowly, been trying to compensate ever since. ;)

Though Coldel, I don't agree with what you say about the speeds they feel safe at. There is no reason in a modern car that you should feel unsafe at or just under the speed limit on any road in daylight with clear weather. People doing 30 in a 50 are simply causing a rolling hazard and at best, slowing everyone else on the road. i don't rage at first, but I get rather annoyed if I know they've noticed me, and just carry on like it's perfectly normal. I also don't tailgate, but I will just get into another car's 'personal space' (let's say within 5 meters), to get a message across, then back off again straight away, I'll even flash if I think it's necessary. Conservative drivers have to deal with more aggressive drivers with respect also, there's no right or wrong as long as you are obeying the rules of the road, some people will always be a bit 'quicker' than others.

It's subjective though, I won't criticise you for being patient, I'm just less forgiving about it.

Edited by Aashenfox

Have to admit I really dont like country roads, especially at night time due to the Zs poor visibility. Theres all of petworth and surrounding areas around me that I use regularly heading up to camberly and I hate it. Tight, narrow and blind bends to boot combined with people wanting to fly round them.

Had a couple "races" in the Z, funniest was with a fiat punto with cherrybomb exhaust. Before it broke again I had a play with an R35 on my home on the duel carriageway. Both of us just sat there doing various pulls making as much noise as possible, certainly got alot of looks while grinning like a Cheshire cat

• Like 1