EURO 2016

RS8055

Yes, can someone please pull Harry Kane aside and explain to him that he is ABSOLUTELY EFFING USELESS at taking freekicks and corners.

I could not believe that they let him take set pieces! Effing outrageous!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My thoughts:

Hodgson cannot do tournament football at this level. Consistent in failure with no signs of improvement.

Again it's been square pegs in round holes. So many players had the season of their lives this year (Kane, Vardy, Dier, Alli etc) and yet we persist in fitting them all in. NO. Play a team, not a group of individuals. If that means you don't play all your stars, so be it. They didn't suddenly get crap as it turned June, they were just played in a terrible system.

I don't blame Kane for the free kicks. Clearly that was his role given to him by Hodgson. He did his best.

Lallana has played well in the tournament, as has Walker. Let's remember that.

There is a place for Rooney still, but it needs to be just behind the front two. If not there, and you want to play Alli to build a team for the future, then Rooney's Engkand career is over.

But most of all, and on that last point, let's ditch the old guard now. Hart, Rooney, Cahill. Bye bye. Play the same team of youngsters EVERY SINGLE GAME. No more tinkering, it's obvious who the best players are, if you want to try the odd newbie then make ONE change per game. Friendly or competitive, I don't care, consistency wins you things.

Have you seen the list of prospective managers?! Southgate, Pardew... Jeez, how depressing. If only the best managers in the world hadn't just been signed up...

This has to end. Why can England not attract the Mourinhos, the Guardiolas? We have the money, so cough up but cough up early!

• Like 1

Have you seen the list of prospective managers?! Southgate, Pardew... Jeez, how depressing. If only the best managers in the world hadn't just been signed up...

This has to end. Why can England not attract the Mourinhos, the Guardiolas? We have the money, so cough up but cough up early!

I saw the list and had to take a picture just to make sure I had read correctly :lol:

Blurry picture but by God is that the best possibilities we have :lol:

a8a11e324f239677028c5b6fcfbb0fcc.jpg

• Like 1

The FA are as much to blame here. Where is the bollocking from them to Roy? Stop supporting your back room staff when they're not up to it. Stop signing them on six year contracts with huge payouts, it's a hugely prestigious job and a two year cycle is plenty.

Tell your sodding Engiand manager to stop tinkering every five minutes, if he doesn't like it then bin him. You're in charge, tell him what you expect. This is basic management.

Hats off to Iceland, they played well but England telegraphed the way they were going to play in the previous 3 rounds, ie pass the ball back and forward until the opposition get all their men back. As for the players, Rooney is clearly past his sell by date, a shadow of the great player he once was, Sterling has gone backwards since he left Liverpool and is completely lacking in confidence. It's hard to grant a glimmer of praise to any of the others as well. We are simply still light years behind Germany, Italy and France,

Pete

• Like 2

Hats off to Iceland, they played well but England telegraphed the way they were going to play in the previous 3 rounds, ie pass the ball back and forward until the opposition get all their men back. As for the players, Rooney is clearly past his sell by date, a shadow of the great player he once was, Sterling has gone backwards since he left Liverpool and is completely lacking in confidence. It's hard to grant a glimmer of praise to any of the others as well. We are simply still light years behind Germany, Italy and France,

Pete

Agreed. The only player that showed any kind of talent in my opinion was Rashford when he was FINALLY brought on with 5 minutes to go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you think we should send the England squad a link to this forum so they can explain themselves in "what game are you currently playing?" or maybe re-name it "what the F**k do you think you're playing at?"

Edited by Rock_Steady
  • Like 1

So, waking up to another of those morning afters to another England football team failure. But this time its different, in that its the worst of the failures I have ever seen in my life.

The FA bottled picking a good manager 4 years ago and picked a yes man, someone who would shuffle about the corridors of football HQ and generally cause no offence. Not challenge anyone at the organisation, not upset any club managers with his selections and not pick players that are fit for the job.

A case for the Defence? None. The second Iceland goal epitomised the fundamental flaws with the England defence in that they all need to be told what to do. No doubt Cahill can tackle, Rose can run, but unless someone tells them to they stand there as four individuals not talking to each other. Is it any surprise Cahills best games come for Chelsea next to Terry?

In midfield we should rename it a minefield as to be honest it looked like they had all gone off and all that was left was a splattered mess. Danny Drinkwater had the season of his life, his team won the league whilst Spurs and Arsenal dropped by the wayside. But we take Wilshire with no fitness, no form and no game time. What sort of message does that send out to English players in the league who are not playing for the established big name teams? Even if you win the league you do not get near the national side. Vardy was our best striker yet was constantly getting splinters in his backside whilst we watch a woefully out of form Kane and Sturridge wafting about out of position. I guess if Man City but Drinkwater for £49m he will be a shoe-in for the national team then...

Up front was, well can we even explain it? Rotating a number of strikers across a top 3 none of whom could play in 2 of those 3 striking positions.

How has it come to this?

Roy Hodgson appointed to no acclaim, played dull football in his first tournament, but we gave him some breathing space. Next tournament was a disaster yet the FA continue with 'project fail' despite every other expert and fan in the country screaming that change was needed and Roy was not fit for purpose. Third tournament and more of the same, struggled against the worst team in the tournament, a last minute toe poke to beat Wales, then more dross against Slovakia leading Roy to say 'a team will be due a beating soon' - oh how right he was.

And lets not forget Roy has done alright out of this, £3.5m per year means £14m later and we had a manager that could not:

1. Pick the right formation for the players available

2. Had no idea what players to pick in his formation

3. Stuck with players that were completely unfit for purpose

4. Had no idea what his best team was after 4 years at the helm

5. Carried on with a Corbyn-esque blinkedness as to how his team were performing

My fear is we get another yes man like Gareth Southgate and the whole process starts over again and I have to waste more hours of my life hoping against hope that England will at some point perform to the level the quality of players we turn out should.

• Like 4

Good summary, Roy was out of his depth at Liverpool what made the England management think he could fill the most important role in English football? As to this being the worst performance, well I can't argue with that. We don't seem to have the attention to detail that other countries have, I mean we've done fairly well in some tournaments since 1966 but how many times have we lost on penalties?, we've been unlucky in some too, like the hand of God goal but make no mistake we have been just not good enough.

I don't know where we go from here TBH.

Pete

Its the English affliction of playing the "names" and not the form, I call it John Barnes syndrome. I counted 5 players out of position last night and Kane taking set pieces is just ridiculous.

When he said he was taking Rashford, Kane and Vardy I thought we had finally got away from the old ways (I closed my ears about Wilshere and Sterling) ....... but then he plays Rooney in every game which removes whatever benefit you get from the young guys. We have no defensive general, no idea at all of what the plan was and looked disorganised and unprofessional compared to the smallest team in the tournament.

Eddy Jones has just come into the England Rugby set up and in a couple of years has put us back at the top of the world - thats with one personnel change and a couple of positional changes. Its about belief and having a plan, and Roy doesnt/hasnt got either.

Biggest gutter for me was that I usually bet against England but couldnt last night due to lack of phone service, at least Id have something to be happy about .......