EURO 2016

RS8055

Hi guys, thought I'd start one as nobody seems to have started a thread for Euro championships as of yet (sorry if there has been one created already)

So that was a bit too close for comfort against Wales... is there any point having any remote sense of optimism about England's chances? Because if we can't even beat Wales convincingly, what chance would we have against a more serious competitor? :thumbdown:

Edited by RS8055

I have started a few footy threads in the past, and been abused for it :lol:

I think they finally played their stronger form players rather than Roys mates in the second half and did the job, Wales parked the bus and were playing for a draw all the way through. There tends not to be any easy games in tournaments, we should have beaten Russia and probably would have done had Roy been a bit more active with his subs.

Hopefully they will qualify, but France and Germany look strong and an outside bet would be the Italians.

The Welsh boys gave it everything and we were fortunate to win. I'm in the Lille fanzone right now, I think we can feel confident about playing teams who offer more offensive challenges than Wales did. They wanted a point and were unlucky not to get it, but we kept plugging away and got a win. 3 pts off Slovakia and we'll see the teams who really mean business.

Unlucky Wales, good effort England.

• Like 2

I have started a few footy threads in the past, and been abused for it :lol:

I think they finally played their stronger form players rather than Roys mates in the second half and did the job, Wales parked the bus and were playing for a draw all the way through. There tends not to be any easy games in tournaments, we should have beaten Russia and probably would have done had Roy been a bit more active with his subs.

Hopefully they will qualify, but France and Germany look strong and an outside bet would be the Italians.

I have to agree that the decision to put on subs was vital! Roy made the mistake of not doing that last game, and it cost us dearly! Should've beaten Russia easily.

France don't look all that strong to be honest.. they got very lucky against Albania! Portugal have also been very underwhelming I think...

Germany seem to be most likely winners I think.

The Welsh boys gave it everything and we were fortunate to win. I'm in the Lille fanzone right now, I think we can feel confident about playing teams who offer more offensive challenges than Wales did. They wanted a point and were unlucky not to get it, but we kept plugging away and got a win. 3 pts off Slovakia and we'll see the teams who really mean business.

Unlucky Wales, good effort England.

You stay safe out there!! If you need picking up, drop me a line! Only about 3 hours drive from you! haha

• Like 1

Slovakia will be looking for a win, which will open the game up a bit more than Wales where they put 8 men in two banks of 4 across the edge of the box. Bit more open game will give our full backs a chance to get stuff in behind for Vardy (surely has to get the nod)

• Like 2

Not caught as much of the euros as I wanted but some decent football from what I have seen. Apart from the quality of the Swiss shirts lol

Payet's effort off the bar really deserved a goal. First I thought sissiko's cross was way off until payet ran in. What a goal that would've been

Belgium impressed me the other day. They played some better football than the big guns the other day. Actually wouldn't mind seeing them win

Not impressed by any team so far. Spain and Croatia are the best of an average bunch. The only thing that stands out is the standard of the minnow countries, like Iceland, Albania and dare I say it Wales. These would have been easy 6-0 wins for the big boys just a few years ago, now they're really struggling to beat them.

Pete

Have enjoyed watching Iceland play - I think Albania are very under-rated, they have some very good players now and are a very competent team. The days of 6-0s are well and truly passed in European football unless you are playing San Marino etc. (even then they can get a few surprise results).

Portugal have under achieved, again. France I expect to start to motor soon, they just need a consistent team selection, dropping 5 players last night was a mistake. As a West Ham fan somewhat concerned about how well Payet is playing, imagine the vultures are circling as we speak!

I was at the Iceland Hungary game, incredible atmosphere with something like 75% Hungary fans giving it plenty and the Icelandic boys holding their own. Bit low on quality the game but high on passion and endeavour, the Stade Velodrome was incredible too.

On the way to Lyon now, had a great few days in Marseille, looking forward to (hopefully) Roy trying some of the lads who haven't had a kick yet.

image_zps2uhv9qeg.jpeg

image_zps2ycccxf6.jpeg

• Like 1

Come on england for tonight!!! I've been in turkey all last week and the atmosphere watching it in the big hotel hall there was amazing! specially that last goal, drinks and people were flying all over the place haha!

Followed by chairs and tear gas? ;)

• Like 2

Got to find a bar tonight to watch it in with both games up on multiple screens! Having a Russian missus has definitely made this Euro 2016 competition more interesting for me!

Its such a shame that the actions of the minority reflect on the many, I know a few Russian people and have been over to Moscow for work reasons and all great people. Doesn't help with senior politicians condoning rioting though...

I dunno col I think you're wrong about 6-0 drubbings

Once scotland eventually qualify for the euros I can see every other team putting 6 past us...

I wouldn't be so sure about that... I get the impression that when teams are actually in the competitive Euro/World Cup games, they tend to be a lot more cautious. I'd say that Scotland would do alright if they managed to qualify. Just look at how Portugal has performed against Iceland and Austria!

I'm enjoying it and think England have been OK, we'll definitely go through the groups. There's no team we need to be worried about playing which is nice, still think we'll choke in the finals though.

Italy looked very good against Belgium in the first game - as a Chelsea fan I'm looking forward to seeing how Conte will change how we played last season! Germany look good too - England... well if Roy plays a good team (eg Vardy, Sturridge & Rashford) then I feel quite confident in us going majority of the way but I don't believe we have it in us to win the Euros.

Spain look good once they get going - the game against Turkey just showed how clinical they are in front of goal.

Amazing how the majority of the goals are all in the last 10 minutes of the games...

• Like 1

Not sure what team Uncle Roy is starting with tonight but can understand some but not all of the the rumoured changes.Cant see the sense of changing the back four.Surely the more games they have together the better their understanding will be.Uncle Roy has always set his sides up not to loose first but in tournament football we all know you need to win.Refreshing to see he went for it against Wales so let's hope he's a changed man.Ive followed England abroad in world cups and euros in my younger years and I am still hoping and waiting for us to deliver albeit from my armchair these days.

Edited by Payco
  • Like 1