EURO 2016

RS8055

Agreeing with Col too much these days :lol: but youve summed it up for me.

What I do wonder is whether enjoyment was reduced by the fact there were only 5-6 teams that were ever going to win it, and if you knew how crap Portugal and England were going to be you could reduce that to 3-4. At least in the World Cup its anybody's game, yes I know Iceland did well but that was more to do with the performance of their opposition than anything else.

It took a while, but you got there in the end... :lol:

Not the worst idea. I mean, he's hardly what you'd call a cutting edge manager in terms of tactics and training, but then is that what we actually need? Or do we just need someone who won't constantly pick players based on name, and will give hugely motivational team talks/rollickings as needed?

I'd like to see him get the job for a year, until Wenger becomes free. If Sam is doing a genuinely good job then hire AW as someone in overall control of the England setup, then if Sam screws up AW can take over. I think it would be a mistake to write off either of them.

Problem is that SA will get a 3 year contract on £5m a year and to get shot of him costs the FA £10m this time next year.

As a West Ham fan Sam can 'do a job' but he is really not the dynamic manager the country needs right now, more of the same really compared to Hodgson I would think. Expect organisation in defence but a dull reliance on defensive players and name players. He never really had a plan b when at West Ham when we went down against a team, we usually would go on to lose.

They usually get contracts that cover tournaments, so it wont be a 1 year contract when he has a nice juicy contract at Sunderland he would have to give up.

I think the FA are missing a trick and going down the exact same route as the Hodgson appointment. So many very good foreign managers out there that would be more likely to succeed than people like Sam.

That's what I'm saying, the FA should only offer a one year contract full stop. The England job is one of the most coveted in world football, people should WANT to do it and accept that for the glamour you get less job security. Or let him do it part time with the Sunderland job, makes no odds to me as it's not like the England job actually takes all year to do anyway.

There are some great foreigners, but unfortunately the FA missed them all this year (Conte, Mourinho, Guardiola). I'd love to see Jose in the job, but that's two years away at least.

I would tend to challenge the assumption on the England job, a few managers have gladly turned it down in the past! FA will never offer a 1 year contract, makes no sense given the tournament nature of the job.

Del Bosque and Pelligrini kicking around. I just don't want to see the FA make another manager choice 'because they are english' - McLaren got the job on that premise and was truly awful.

One year with a 5 year extension, that should do it. If they're good and confident, they'll take it. If not, they can get stuffed.

Hodgson was never the right choice, it should've been Redknapp at the time and we all knew it, but the FA wouldn't stomach his image. Big mistake.

I have no problem with England being losers, but I do take issue with them not appearing to ever really get out of second gear when playing a game. That's what needs to change more than anything. Sod all this 'Oh we must play like XYZ at international level', NO! Play like they do every week: At least they're used to that, and it's pretty entertaining. Maybe they'll succeed, maybe they'll just suck, but it's got to be better to watch than the dross we've had for the last few years.