EURO 2016

RS8055

But their international team, which was the point, you know what I mean. Puskas was one of the greatest players ever, but what did Hungary win? Di Stefano was probably one of the most amazing midfielders ever, never won an international honour. Pointing towards international games means nothing.

Geoff was a sub because Greavsie was injured. And wasn't a world class player, just made it in the final game. Didnt set the world alight in the national league either. Geoff Hurst was never seen as a world class player. Bobby Moore was however and was head and shoulders above Hurst as a player. It doesn't make they entire team world class though. Martin Peters was a better player than Hurst.

Geoff was a sub because Greavsie was injured. And wasn't a world class player, just made it in the final game. Didnt set the world alight in the national league either. Geoff Hurst was never seen as a world class player. Bobby Moore was however and was head and shoulders above Hurst as a player. It doesn't make they entire team world class though. Martin Peters was a better player than Hurst.

I agree, my point was that Hurst is still celebrated just because he scored three goals in a WC final. Trophies do matter.

I agree, my point was that Hurst is still celebrated just because he scored three goals in a WC final. Trophies do matter.

But it doesn't make him a better player than another striker of his era who didn't win the world cup. Which was the point of the original post. This makes absolutely no difference in terms of if Ronaldo is a better player than Messi.

• Like 1

Portugal were shocking throughout the whole tournament. Didn't deserve to win and didn't deserve to be in the final. They've won 1 game in the whole tournament in normal time.

Absolutely this. Utter dross from a team who went out not to lose rather than win each game. Every Portugese game was dull as dishwater.

I've not really enjoyed this tournament as much as usual (taking away the fact that attending in France was an amazing experience). Spain v Italy and Germany v France were miles ahead of nearly every other game, in terms of quality. The ability of the lower ranked nations to get fit and organised and then defend their asses off, has robbed the game of two teams going forward, particularly in the group stage. The fact that Wales and Iceland and Hungary have been the most exciting things to happen, says a lot about what went on on the pitch. The Thunderclap is probably the thing people will remember most :lol:

They need to expand/reduce to either 16/32 teams and go back to 2 progress from each group. The three draws qualification has lead to some extremely negative play. Portugal only one won game in 90 mins! I'd be tempted postpone Extra Time too and if it's a draw after 90 mins then award the win on tournament goals scored, only going to ET if that is equal. Watching Attack v Defense so often has been disappointing :(

• Like 1

i feel asleep 5 times and missed the final goal it was that boring! Deco " Portugal deserve to be in the final " No they don't.

Didn't make their group in which, in any other euro-cup they wouldn't have qualified. Took them to pull a win out the bag ion a 9-0 minute game only until they arrived at the semis.

They made so many draws they should consider becoming carpenters/furniture makers.

Utter drivel.

Edited by Rock_Steady

It was one of the worst tournaments overall in living memory. The joke is if England were properly managed and organised and took their form players looking at what I saw last night they would have fancied winning that. I didn't see any team France/Germany/Italy aside that looked particularly world class. Germany were so naive only taking one recognised striker who subsequently got injured and messing around with these false 9's.

Really was a poor tournament finished off with a shocking final, reminded me of the Argentina Germany in 1990 which ruined a great tournament.

You miserable gits :lol:

What about watching the home nations? The Irish scoring against Italy, or the Norn Iron lot constantly singing *that* song, and watching Kanu-Robson doing a Cruyff to smash the Belgians. The attacking play of the Germans was beautiful to watch, accurate passing with real purpose. Iceland... ICELAND! Tiny little country holding the winners to a draw and beating comfortably a team full of stars in the second round. Shaqiri's overhead smash and Ronaldo's cheeky backheeled goals. The tension of not knowing who was going through even when all the games in one group had been played, nervously waiting on other results.

No, it wasn't the best, but it wasn't that bad either. Germany vs Italy was a stunning game to watch, massively enjoyed that one above all else.

I just had the WORST night's sleep (or lack of) in a long time! Just came back from my holidays, to watch this absolute shambles of a final. Watching paint dry would have been far more interesting.

Luxembourg's population = 543,000 - total amount of those that have Portuguese nationality = 83,000!. I don't know if any of you have witnessed Portuguese fans after winning a football game first hand, but it is horrific! The game finished, and then, out of nowhere... we have fireworks going off all over the place, flares being fired, car horns going off almost constantly with people out the sunroofs with airhorns... this continued until 3:30am roughly. Could not get a wink of sleep. Absolute nightmare!

I swear, everytime Portugal have a football game, we all pray for them to lose, because if they win (no matter the circumstances) it is non-stop noise.

On a side note, I did find it interesting how Ronaldo goes off injured and is visibly limping, then when the goal is scored... he is seen walking around normally and even JUMPING with joy on this apparently injured leg! Then, when collecting the trophy, the limp is magically back again! I think someone needs to eat some concrete and harden the f*** up!

Portugal did not deserve to be in the final at all. Would have much rather seen Wales there. Wales vs Iceland final would have been awesome! :)

You miserable gits :lol:

What about watching the home nations? The Irish scoring against Italy, or the Norn Iron lot constantly singing *that* song, and watching Kanu-Robson doing a Cruyff to smash the Belgians. The attacking play of the Germans was beautiful to watch, accurate passing with real purpose. Iceland... ICELAND! Tiny little country holding the winners to a draw and beating comfortably a team full of stars in the second round. Shaqiri's overhead smash and Ronaldo's cheeky backheeled goals. The tension of not knowing who was going through even when all the games in one group had been played, nervously waiting on other results.

No, it wasn't the best, but it wasn't that bad either. Germany vs Italy was a stunning game to watch, massively enjoyed that one above all else.

Oh don't get me wrong, there were 'moments' but that doesn't make for a great tournament. 51 matches and I can probably recall 3 or 4 being any good and I watched a lot of them. Germans played a lot of passing with no end product, I was sat with a German last night and he said it was a poor tournament by their standards with very little end product. Wales Belgium was a good game, France Iceland was a huge mismatch, Spain under performed. I think in hindsight looking at the format it meant smaller teams can progress but it meant they had to defend like crazy to do it. Portugal progressed without winning a single group game - the third placed qualification just ruins the style of game.

Ekona looking at the positives? You feeling ok? Lol

In Portugal's days of rui costa and figo a lot of people wanted to see them lift trophies. Before the this tournament started if someone said Portugal will win id have been happy to watch them win

.....but they way they won put a downer on the whole tournament for me. Yes it wasn't great overall, yes there were moments of brilliance, but watching them scrape their way to the trophy was a bit of a let down

Edited by LRF4N
  • Like 2

Worst major tournament I've watched and I've seen every one since 1966. Only one outstanding player really and he was on the losing side. It says a lot to me when a small island country reaches the last 8 and a team with one world class player, one decent player and a bunch of journeymen reaches the semi finals..Let's hope that the world cup in 2 years time is a lot better.

Pete

Yes I totally agree, is was mind numbing to the point of tears. I love football, play twice a week and watch when I can, but to watch the game butchered like it was over the last couple of weeks was soul destroying. The final for me summed up the tournament, boredom, no attacking flair, no enterprise or desire to win a game just not to lose it.

I don't watch a great deal of football admittedly, but I have to say that most international tournaments that I watch tend to seem pretty poor, and this one seemed in keeping with the general standard. The last World Cup's only saving grace was that the one decent team won.

Agreeing with Col too much these days :lol: but youve summed it up for me.

What I do wonder is whether enjoyment was reduced by the fact there were only 5-6 teams that were ever going to win it, and if you knew how crap Portugal and England were going to be you could reduce that to 3-4. At least in the World Cup its anybody's game, yes I know Iceland did well but that was more to do with the performance of their opposition than anything else.

The best World Cup tournaments I've seen were in Mexico 1970, Argentina in 1978 and France 1998. Magical names like Pele, Rivelino, Jarzinho, Kempes, Zidane, Ronaldo (The other one). 1974 and 1982 were also great world cups, who can forget Tardelli's celebration in 1982 or Michael Owen's wonder goal in 1998. This tournament just threw up one great player, Antoine Griezmann. Coaching and packing defenses means that it's difficult to beat teams like The Faroe Islands , Luxembourg, San Marino, etc, that used to be cannon fodder.

Pete