Kids

Flex

Kids my choice or go and speak to past me and shake me!  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Is it selfish not to have children?

• Yes
    • No
    • Hypothetically speaking (and the poll is private) would you go back in time and have a little talk with yourself and say 'listen don't splash the baby gravy'
    • Do you feel that all you are now is a glorified child minder?
    • I'm definitely never, ever going to have children, the thought makes my bones shiver.

Someone's voted that it's selfish not to have them! Shame on you :lol:

My money's on Dan!

He's trying to convince us he doesn't like babies, but I can just tell he's one of those men that goes all gooey when he's handed his first-born baby girl. We'll have to suffer endless threads about how the baby did its first burp today and it's first solid poo! She'll be his little princess and he'll go round baby-proofing the world for her. Bless him :p

• Like 2

Someone's voted that it's selfish not to have them! Shame on you :lol:

My money's on Dan!

He's trying to convince us he doesn't like babies, but I can just tell he's one of those men that goes all gooey when he's handed his first-born baby girl. We'll have to suffer endless threads about how the baby did its first burp today and it's first solid poo! She'll be his little princess and he'll go round baby-proofing the world for her. Bless him :p

That's why he's just sold his beemer!!

• Like 1

I always thought I would want them but the older I get it more and more want to just do my own thing as and when I want to .

I can't imagine not being able to

But then I'd love to be to a son or a daughter what my parents were to me so who knows

Op if you're not that bothered don't worry just enjoy life that has to be the main thing

• Like 1

I felt the same as the nay sayers before my children arrived. Exactly the same in fact. When and if it happens to you only then can you possibly understand, unless of course you have mental issues.

If there was an award for most smug, patronising post ever put on a forum, that right there would be a contender. Incredible.

I'm out of this thread or I'll rupture an artery.

Edited by sipar69
  • Like 2

Probably for the best Sipar. I thought you were playing the advocate but it seems to have struck a nerve. Strange really but an indicator I would suggest your probably better off without children. It's not patronising to suggest someone without the experience can portray a balanced view its just a fact, deal with it. You seem like an intelligent chap.

Edited by Zeezeebaba

My money's on Dan!

Definitely not me! :lol: I don't get the fuss, I really don't. Like when you go round someone's house who's just had a baby, and they're all like "Ahh, do you want to hold our baby?". When I reply that I'm okay, they normally go "Oh go on, it's okay, you won't hurt the little one, I'll show you how to hold properly!" as if I'm secretly petrified that I'll drop the slug or something. No, I'm perfectly capable of holding the product of his feeble man-paste and her lack of leg-closing ability, I just really don't feel the urge to thanks.

I've sold no such thing! The Bummer is sticking around, it's the MR2 I've sold.

And it doesn't mean that it won't be replaced. ;)

• Like 2

My money's on Dan!

Definitely not me! :lol: I don't get the fuss, I really don't. Like when you go round someone's house who's just had a baby, and they're all like "Ahh, do you want to hold our baby?". When I reply that I'm okay, they normally go "Oh go on, it's okay, you won't hurt the little one, I'll show you how to hold properly!" as if I'm secretly petrified that I'll drop the slug or something. No, I'm perfectly capable of holding the product of his feeble man-paste and her lack of leg-closing ability, I just really don't feel the urge to thanks.

I've sold no such thing! The Bummer is sticking around, it's the MR2 I've sold.

And it doesn't mean that it won't be replaced. ;)

My bad, skim reading at its best!

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Me and the missus don't want kids, and peoples reactions are hilarious! Like there must be something wrong with you for not wanting kids.

I have 7 nieces and nephews and that is enough for me. We are very selfish (and admit it) and I'd rather go on holiday loads, spend loads on the car and not have to worry about dedicating my time to a child.

I just don't understand how some people become so boring (IMO) after having kids... I have a mate who had modded cars etc for ages, now he has a kid his facebook is full of 40 of the same pics of the sprog, and he has a people carrier :) - definitely not for me!

• Like 1

Me and the missus don't want kids, and peoples reactions are hilarious! Like there must be something wrong with you for not wanting kids.

I have 7 nieces and nephews and that is enough for me. We are very selfish (and admit it) and I'd rather go on holiday loads, spend loads on the car and not have to worry about dedicating my time to a child.

I just don't understand how some people become so boring (IMO) after having kids... I have a mate who had modded cars etc for ages, now he has a kid his facebook is full of 40 of the same pics of the sprog, and he has a people carrier :) - definitely not for me!

now that my sir is a good true comment :thumbs:

I guess peoples priorities and what they deem exciting change, there was a time as a ten year old I am sure you thought cars were stupid and that Pokemon was the real deal, and I am sure when you hit 90 just making it to the toilet before you wee yourself will be deemed a very exciting achievement ;) its all a matter of perspective and not everyone will come from the same angle as you :)

• Like 1

Me and MrNiki are just coming up to our 1st wedding anniversary, so you can imagine how many times we get asked 'when are we going to hear the patter of tiny feet'... erm, never!! Neither of us have any interest in children, we both want to have nice things in life, travel the world in a few years and live for ourselves. Nothing wrong with that at all. We both knew from day 1 that was what we wanted.

What really bothers me is when folk keep asking us about children as if its the norm, and then say 'you'll change your mind one day'... I don't ask people why they had kids and tell them they'll wish they had never bothered one day, so why is it acceptable the other way around??

Never feel guilted into it, it's your life to do with as you please. I believe that people who have time to judge/pressure others are lacking in some aspect of their own life.

Couldn't agree more. I don't tell people they shouldn't have had kids so why do they feel the need to ask why I haven't got any. The world is already over populated and I feel it's more selfish to have kids than not to.

Edited by Superman001
  • Like 1

Its hard to appreciate or understand the love that you feel for your children if you don`t have any. Only you will know when the time is right to make the sacrifice to have them.

My babies are 25 and 24 and live their own lives as they are now adults in their own right. Its very satisfying to see they are happy, have a good understanding in the way of the world and just getting on with life.

Part of my job is done and i can enjoy seeing them when they want and only give advice if asked for. Great to see them knowing their own minds.

Don`t underestimate the sacrifices you may have to make but the rewards are kind of special.

• Like 3

In a funny way, what I think is so fantastic and special about this thread is the following. It's the posts, thoughts and feelings posted by those who have or have had children. There is such clear evidence of love, responsibility, consideration and wonder at the children you all have.

I think that shows what a wonderful set of parents we have here on the forum. Never mind the fact that kids aren't for me or others. It's great to see how much you all cherish your children, that truly is amazing.

• Like 2

Hmm, I didn't want kids for reasons I'll explain in a minute, it just happened that one arrived on the scene when I was 40. So why didn't I want any? main reason was that I didn't think I could cope, in fact I didn't think I would make a good parent, didn't have what it takes. Being an only child meant I was a bit on the selfish side too. Then there was my Ex Wife, she was a deputy head teacher at the time and progressing her career was important to her. Thinking about it, we were together for 14 years and I don't think we discussed having children even once. Of course, when she started getting sick in the morning and a pregnancy test was positive, there wasn't a lot we could do (Birth Control failure I'm afraid). So we embraced it, went to the parenting classes at Chester Hospital, learnt all we could about babies, I knew absolutely nothing, learnt how to change nappies and feed the baby with milk her mother had expressed. All good fun really. Of course, the thing was that I worked a 4 on, 4 off shift system which meant that my 4 days off were quite different to what it was like before as my ex went back to work after 3 months, I just adapted, wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I would have been quite happy to have another one but my ex put her foot down :lol: .

Now, 26 years later, I'm glad that I do have a daughter and one that's achieved so much in the last few years.

Pete

Man you lot are so negative... Where do I start lol

I can't understand the comments about hating kids or babies- you were there yourselves at one point. Imagine if everyone around you at that time was as negative

If your parents had the same mentality you wouldn't be here today

I have a big close nit family. My parents have 11 grandchildren. My dad doesn't keep too well and we all rally round to make him as comfortable as possible. Imagine he had no kids or grand kids to help him out

How would you guys feel if when your older your partner kicks the bucket and you have no one around you? That's what families are for I couldn't imagine my life without one

Imagine times like Christmas without any family

Less than a week ago I welcomed my second daughter into the world. Can't put into words how happy it made me only a parent would understand

But it won't stop me doing the things I enjoy- iv just ordered a brand new car which will arrive in a month and I will be starting my project car this spring as well. Both cars are 2 door coupes

It's really not as bad as it sounds :lol:

• Like 5

Call me old school but I feel it's an important part of life to recreate life.

Don't get me wrong each to there own, but I see it as a great achievement to be able to guide, teach and love a child. I feel I have alot to give and therefore embrace the fact that one day I hope to start a family.

(Please don t remind me about this post in 5yrs time!!) :lol:

• Like 1

Call me old school but I feel it's an important part of life to recreate life.

Don't get me wrong each to there own, but I see it as a great achievement to be able to guide, teach and love a child. I feel I have alot to give and therefore embrace the fact that one day I hope to start a family.

(Please don t remind me about this post in 5yrs time!!) :lol:

QFT

;)

• Like 1

Can't put into words how happy it made me only a parent would understand

Similar to what happens when you take an exogenous substance that binds to opioid mu receptors?? ;)

I do know what your talking about, I'm very excited about the imminent arrival of our sprog. I'm going to do my best to raise her, give her the best start in life etc.....But there is no logical reason why I'm feeling so happy.

The bond between a parent and child is nothing more than an evolution trait, just like a moth is attracted to fire, and a salmon will swim up river to lay eggs than die.

I don't judge other people because they have enough will power to ignore the inherent reproductive need built into our DNA. So what gives you a right to pass judgement on what other people choose to do with their lives??

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 1

Man you lot are so negative... Where do I start lol

I can't understand the comments about hating kids or babies- you were there yourselves at one point. Imagine if everyone around you at that time was as negative

If your parents had the same mentality you wouldn't be here today

I have a big close nit family. My parents have 11 grandchildren. My dad doesn't keep too well and we all rally round to make him as comfortable as possible. Imagine he had no kids or grand kids to help him out

How would you guys feel if when your older your partner kicks the bucket and you have no one around you? That's what families are for I couldn't imagine my life without one

Imagine times like Christmas without any family

Less than a week ago I welcomed my second daughter into the world. Can't put into words how happy it made me only a parent would understand

But it won't stop me doing the things I enjoy- iv just ordered a brand new car which will arrive in a month and I will be starting my project car this spring as well. Both cars are 2 door coupes

It's really not as bad as it sounds :lol:

I agree with LRF4N here. Its great to have a large family around you for support and help when its needed.

When my first child was born I was absolutely euphoric. I can only describe it like an out of body experience.

I was physically there but my mind was up on cloud 9. :wacko:

It was short lived though haha, I remember eating meals with a plate balanced on one knee while the other leg frantically rocked the pram wheel back and forwards!!

No, its not as bad as it sounds and before you know it..... they're adults.

I dont get this selfish thing, selfish to whom? If you want kids have them, if you dont, then dont, who gives a $hit?

Its your life, live it as you want, not how others expect you to live it!