The Zed Shed Part Deux Build still going

Keyser

Love the milling machine Chris. The metal folder would have been invaluable on the E type restoration. I bought a cheaper one that wasn't really up to the job and ended up using a friendly engineering companies. I think you will actually find it really useful. Just trying to think what I can send you to mill.

• Like 1

Well the big day we hoped for happened and everyone has still got all there fingers and toes attached :scare:

Bit of background - the big steel was supposed to be lifted from the front garden to the back by an oversize crane (80 ton) this is not the weight but the reach, Crane company can't get it up the road so.......

Small crane - nope they wanted more than a 100 Ton crane would have cost for a day and took to long to quote for the work, so we thought a telehandler would do the job, can't find one to rent in the south of England!!!!

So we went back to a genie lift, we were a bit worried that it would not got high enough (5M needed) or lift the weight but we found 1 model is rated to lift 363KG at 5M so we hired one -

S1051303_zpsc9gsiwtp.jpg

We calculated the main beam to weigh 350 KG so inside the limit if only just, but you try dangling a 5.6M wide steel beam that weighs 350KG above your head on an aluminum bar that bends like a fishing rod while popping and twanging like it's about to break, then try and push it out of line around the wall and back in again - bum twitching moments all round!!!! :scare:

But we did it :yahoo:

S1051300_zpsaldyfz9k.jpg

The other 2 bars went up relatively easy after that :thumbs:

S1051301_zpsgxe44gdx.jpg

A load of timber and the chippy Scott arrived early this morning so hopefully have some framework up by the end of the week :thumbs:

Hats off to Andy for not losing his nerve when he had the task of lining up the beam and sticking the first bolt in :clap:

More soon

Keyser and The Zed Shed Crew.

• Like 5

Well the big day we hoped for happened and everyone has still got all there fingers and toes attached :scare:

Bit of background - the big steel was supposed to be lifted from the front garden to the back by an oversize crane (80 ton) this is not the weight but the reach, Crane company can't get it up the road so.......

Small crane - nope they wanted more than a 100 Ton crane would have cost for a day and took to long to quote for the work, so we thought a telehandler would do the job, can't find one to rent in the south of England!!!!

So we went back to a genie lift, we were a bit worried that it would not got high enough (5M needed) or lift the weight but we found 1 model is rated to lift 363KG at 5M so we hired one -

S1051303_zpsc9gsiwtp.jpg

We calculated the main beam to weigh 350 KG so inside the limit if only just, but you try dangling a 5.6M wide steel beam that weighs 350KG above your head on an aluminum bar that bends like a fishing rod while popping and twanging like it's about to break, then try and push it out of line around the wall and back in again - bum twitching moments all round!!!! :scare:

But we did it :yahoo:

S1051300_zpsaldyfz9k.jpg

The other 2 bars went up relatively easy after that :thumbs:

S1051301_zpsgxe44gdx.jpg

A load of timber and the chippy Scott arrived early this morning so hopefully have some framework up by the end of the week :thumbs:

Hats off to Andy for not losing his nerve when he had the task of lining up the beam and sticking the first bolt in :clap:

More soon

Keyser and The Zed Shed Crew.

After the awful weather of last week the pressure was still on to sort out a way of lifting up the steel beams.

I have used genies before with standard RSJs but not at anywhere near this height,weight and awkward shape so even after 30 years experience Mr James,Chris and Kim were in a serious bum twitching situation!! Lol.

Bloody amazing piece of kit,and as Chris said to me you have to trust the fact that it will lift what it says on the label! Lol

We done good yesterday and are on the home straight now.

Hats off to you but only confirms you are bonkers, totally bonkers!! :lol: :lol: ;)

Graham, I'm not sure bonkers accurately describes any of them - insane would be more accurate. But some outstanding work regardless.

I was being polite for once Dave :)

• 2 weeks later...

so just to keep you up to speed a couple of pics of the progress :)

Start of the wood work

S1051304_zpskhcktslj.jpg

S1051306_zpsb74ojkdm.jpg

and moving on

S1051317_zpsaskfrml2.jpg

S1051314_zpsjwtxvo9q.jpg

S1051318_zps8rurwolh.jpg

S1051316_zpstpf8cqz5.jpg

S1051315_zpszu6oldld.jpg

that was the end of last week I'll get some more tomorrow.

Just so you know I haven't been slacking they gave me the good job putting the nails in theses

S1051319_zpslid5rve7.jpg

22 nails in each and over 100 of them :scare:

Still it all needs to be done :)

more soon .............................

Edited by Keyser
  • Like 5

In other news I have started on the milling machine, a strip down and clean

Got this to start :)

S1051311_zpsnpir82rj.jpg

S1051309_zpspt2srh7e.jpg

S1051310_zpsytolt3zd.jpg

S1051312_zpsl4q3ugd6.jpg

lots to clean

S1051313_zpslmyukbwf.jpg

Bit of rewiring as the motor drive is not working properly and the over-ride button sticks in

S1051307_zpsbssodz5k.jpg

More to follow :thumbs:

• Like 2

Just so you know I haven't been slacking they gave me the good job putting the nails in theses

S1051319_zpslid5rve7.jpg

22 nails in each and over 100 of them :scare:

They don't trust you with one of these then . . .

dewalt-nail-gun.jpg

:)

Can you imagine the horror?!? Poor Zed Shed visitors having to remove one of those nails from a buttock with a claw hammer :scare: