WARNING POSSIBLE SCAM ON PH05 ROD...

I've just read all this. God these people are fu#43d up alright. There only one way to treat scum like that. Baseball bats and knuckle dusters.

Have to find the f***er's first. :dry:

Fingers crossed this story ends up with a happy ending for the Op in the form of his money back & the fraudsters in the clink. Doubtful but here's hoping. ;)

Yes these are the PH ads I have been reporting for the last month or so - loads of them about, all you have to do is look for new cars priced £4200 to £4600 - a quick search on PH turns up:

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/vauxhall/insignia/vauxhall-insignia-3700-vxr-nav-2009/3695438

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/honda/civic-type-r/honda-civic-mk8-i-vtec-type-r-gt-------------2009/3695425

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/volkswagen/golf-gti-mk5-mk6/volkswagen-golf-mk5-gti-edition30-t-230-----------2007/3695430

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/honda/s2000/honda-s2000-16v-gt------------------2006/3695423

Took me 20 seconds to find those 4...PH are lazy and poor at monitoring their own site and are providing a far too easy platform for these scams.

Pictures: by the sea

Hmmmmm

That one was originally for sale on eBay for just under 11 grand and located in Cornwall , so definitely a scam.

Edited by ZEUS

Pictures: by the sea

Hmmmmm

That one was originally for sale on eBay for just under 11 grand and located in Cornwall , so definitely a scam.

It's been removed now...

Yes the scammers use actual adverts - they copy out the text to make it look authentic then just price it up as a private advert for between £4200 and £4600 once the advert closes.

On a couple of occasions I have seen the genuine ad and the scam ad up for sale at the same time!

• Like 1

It is rather worrying that obtaining money by deception and potentially tens of thousands to a bank account that required proof of ID and a UK residential address to open it coupled with an IP address for setting up the ad and mobiles that can be pinpointed to a certain area are no longer seen as crimes worth investigating. What has this country come to?

I hope you have some luck with the bank.

• Like 2

Unfortunately this is what happens when the current government continually attack the police year after year with cut after cut meaning that with a 20% reduction in staff and budgets they can no longer provide the service that we would like and have come to expect.

• Like 1

Unfortunately this is what happens when the current government continually attack the police year after year with cut after cut meaning that with a 20% reduction in staff and budgets they can no longer provide the service that we would like and have come to expect.

They are too busy chasing motorists ..!! :scare:

• Like 1

Agree to all above guys ... Unfortunately the country's gone to pot. If we were not so quick in handing out, our funds to whoever decides to bless us with their presence, we may have a better budget available to help us, when these unfortunate occasions arise.

Edited by veilside z
  • Like 4

It is rather worrying that obtaining money by deception and potentially tens of thousands to a bank account that required proof of ID and a UK residential address to open it coupled with an IP address for setting up the ad and mobiles that can be pinpointed to a certain area are no longer seen as crimes worth investigating. What has this country come to?

I hope you have some luck with the bank.

But that's the issue, the bank will not do anything unless the police prove or investigate it as to being a dodgy account.

If the police were able to investigate and not restrained by costs, this story would end differently for sure.

The banks will not make a decision, and happily push responsibility onto others. They should do more for its customers, its our money ffs.... :mad:

The banks will not make a decision, and happily push responsibility onto others. They should do more for its customers, its our money ffs.... :mad:

On the flip side of this though, how happy would you be if someone told the bank that you've defrauded them of their money and they withhold your balance from you whilst they "investigate" the claims?

Without any evidence of wrong doing the bank shouldn't act, it's not their job, the police should. Unfortunately that's not going to happen because the politicians are too busy playing games of one-upmanship to worry about trivialities such as an efficient, effective police force.

I apologise to the OP in advance for this but what are the police supposed to do? Hes seen a dodgy ad with a dodgy price and has sent a large sum of cash to a mysterious person without getting any additional information or even checking they have the car in the first place. Its tantamount to walking into a pub youve never visited before and handing £4K to a random bloke at the bar, then going to the police 2 weeks later and saying youve been robbed.

Sorry but its not the banks, the police or Pistonheads that are to blame here.

docwra, while I agree with you that it is not the police who are to blame and I'm sure the op realises all too well that he has been a little foolish, I still find it incredulous that the police don't wish to pursue the case.

To put it into a forum context, imagine I lurked about on here for a while, posted a few pics of my new car, made the necessary quota of random posts and then put "my" nismo exhaust and gt4 wheels up for sale and relieved a few of you of your hard earned cash by bank transfer never to be seen again.

Would you want the police to pursue the matter or would you just chalk it up to experience and let it go?

What about an elderly relative who pays up front to have her drive tarmaced and so on.

As long as these crimes and let's be straight, they are crimes, go un investigated these criminals will thrive.

• Like 1

I apologise to the OP in advance for this but what are the police supposed to do? Hes seen a dodgy ad with a dodgy price and has sent a large sum of cash to a mysterious person without getting any additional information or even checking they have the car in the first place. Its tantamount to walking into a pub youve never visited before and handing £4K to a random bloke at the bar, then going to the police 2 weeks later and saying youve been robbed.

Sorry but its not the banks, the police or Pistonheads that are to blame here.

Rare is it that I disagree with you these days mate but at the point where this is proven theft the police should and must be interested in it.

No matter how gullible you've been you've still been robbed and you pay your taxes so that the police offer you an element of remedy to that end.

Totally get what you are saying about the pub analogy...... Spot on but in this case they have a bank account, eBay addresses, email addresses, fake websites that at the very least they could shut down to stop it happening to other people.

My dad would be a sucker for these things if he had access to the internet. Dumb as a plank the lad is when it comes to scams

Totally get what you are saying about the pub analogy...... Spot on but in this case they have a bank account, eBay addresses, email addresses, fake websites that at the very least they could shut down to stop it happening to other people.

The bank account is the only "real" information there and banks cant give those details out - I know, we misdirected a payment the other day and we just have to write it off as the receiver is refusing to let us know who he is and the bank cant.

So youre basically asking the police to find a person with no information other than a bank account which has probably been closed now - no description, no address, no telephone numbers, you dont even really know what part of the country they are from. Im not saying the police shouldnt investigate, of course they should but I dont agree with the "the police are rubbish" comments when they have so little information to go on.

docwra, as regards your misdirected payment, there may be no need to write it off. There is such a thing as " Theft by finding" Google it. People have been successfully prosecuted for refusing to return money sent to them by mistake and the bank have a duty to assist you in recovering this money.

Whoever "finds" the money must show that all reasonable steps have been taken to return it before they can keep it.

In this case, your bank while not to blame (presumably), should assist you.

Edited by leonk

Send this to your bank, don't tell them why, even if they ask:

Dear Sir / Madam,

(Account Owner’s Name): Subject Access Request

Bank Account: XXXX

Sort Code: XXXX

We formally request that you supply to us all the information that (insert bank name), and your personal banking division (insert personal banking division name) together herein called “the Bankâ€, hold about myself to which I am entitled pursuant to S.7 of the Data Protection Act 1998 (“the Actâ€).

Such information should include, but is not limited to, the following:

• Copies of all correspondence, whether by letter, e-mail or fax issued by the Bank to ourselves and any correspondence from ourselves in response.
  • Copies of all internal correspondence including notes relating to meetings held or conversations undertaken relating to ourselves and our business.
  • Transcripts and/or recordings of all recorded telephone conversations between (insert the name of the Bank) and myself.

Pursuant to S.7(2)(b ) of that Act we also enclose a fee of £10 (CHEQUE NOT CASH!!!!!) in relation to this request. If you require any further information from us, we would request that you notify us to this effect as soon as practicable.

We look forward to receiving your response promptly and, in any event, within the prescribed period of 40 days.

Yours faithfully

(Your name goes here)

Edit: Spelling

Edited by AliveBoy
  • Like 7