WARNING POSSIBLE SCAM ON PH05 ROD...

So to be a bit more helpful this morning...

1. Where is/was the original advert? Post up the EXACT wording if you have it.

2. Who did you contact? Company name, person name and phone number.

3. How did the conversation go? What did you say, what did they say etc.

4. How did this 3rd party, Harvey's Auto Transport, come into the picture?

5. What's the eBay connection?

6. What communications have you had since you paid for the car?

7. How did you pay for the car?

8. What were the delivery instructions for the car?

Now, I think I know most of that (you saw the ad on eBay originally, and now you've seen it relisted), but please answer them as precisely as you can, one at a time. The more detail you give, the more chance we have of working as a community and seeing if we can help you out here. :)

• Like 6

And on checking your first post, it mentions an 05 Zed. I'm sorry, but that really did have scam all over it. I'm sorry you've found out the hard way, I do hope you get your money back.

Appears to be a 2005 Black 350Z.

Link: http://www.ukvehicle.com/PH05ROD/

+1 ~ Hope you do get your money back Op.

£2,000 to cheap... :scare: :scare:

Hope you get your money back, from them thieving bas***rds :rant:

problem is the adverts are difficult to spot - theres a beemer that im looking at that all looks perfectly legitimate, but it will just be because the pictures and advert wording is cloned from a real advert. only difference is the price, which was a good £3-4k cheaper than all other equivalent cars. if something is to good to be true, it usually is. And as Will says, never pay any money for anything without seeing it first.

• Like 1

That must be an absolute gutter for the original poster.

You'd like to think that he'd have some comeback on eBay - but I rather fear they will wriggle out of it in the slippery way they seem to whenever you have issues with sellers on eBay.

The key will be the manner of payment. If it was paid on a credit card or paypal - as someone else said - you will have a good chance of recouping something, if you made a money transfer (Western Union) or even a bank transfer - particularly if it was to a foreign bank account - I regret that you'll have virtually no chance.

I'm a naturally trusting person but 50 years in the world has made me very, very suspicious of everyone. It's taken a few leg lifts along the way though :-) to make me like this!

Thanks for the replies... Feel like a prize **** now. Only went ahead as my bank told me I would be covered for the loss.. And surprise surprise ...now they tell me I'm not..... And may have lost 3800£..... Have reported it but police aren't bothered either...

Thought of going to BBC OR ITV to see if any program's deal with fraud.... *******....

Thanks for the replies... Feel like a prize **** now. Only went ahead as my bank told me I would be covered for the loss.. And surprise surprise ...now they tell me I'm not..... And may have lost 3800£..... Have reported it but police aren't bothered either...

Thought of going to BBC OR ITV to see if any program's deal with fraud.... *******....

How did you pay?

Answer my questions on my post above, and let's see what we can do for you. :)

How did you pay?

Looks like he did a Bank Transfer as his bank told him he would be covered for the loss. (see above) :scare:

How did you pay?

Unfortunately, it looks like a bank transfer as Will says above. Really bad news for the OP I'm afraid if his bank aren't going to help. I'd be tempted to go into a local branch if possible and speak to someone face to face. Your bank must have people that can investigate this type of fraud. As others have said though, depending on which bank and country the money was transferred, you may have very little chance of getting it back. Another reason to always use a Credit Card or PayPal for large transactions. :(

• Like 1

Wow a Bank Transfer, what a shame.

Without rubbing salt in to the wound, why on earth would anything think of doing this.

Best advise I can give is talking to your bank, unfortunately if you think that reporting it to a fraud squad will get you the money back - Think again. Even if they did get caught, that money is already gone and they can't pay back what they don't have.

Lesson learnt, although an expensive one.

These scams are all over Pistonheads at the moment, private sales for around the £4200 mark (for cars worth at least double that) with what looks like a geunine advert where someone has a load of detail written down about the car. However it is usually a copy paste job from other car adverts recently sold.

Edited by coldel

When the bank told you, you would be covered, was this over the phone or in person at the branch?

The reason I ask is if it's on the phone, they will have a recording of the call and if the evidence suggests that the bank told you it would be fine and you're covered if it's a scam, then surely they are at least part liable?

This is a real shitter and I hope you get your money back :thumbs:

No need for the stupid rude comments by a couple of ignorant members on the previous page, however. :ban:

• Like 3

Feel very gutted for you :(

I can't believe that PH don't pick up on these scams ... So obvious when a car is being sold for 3k less than it should be !

A very hard lesson to learn

Unfortunately they have to rely on people reporting the ads. There are probably hundreds of ads posted every hour, so basically impossible to vet them all.

This isnt a scam, this isnt 419, this is straightforward theft. :dry:

I went to extreme lengths when I bought my last car to make sure nothing could go wrong (as did the seller), despite us both being forum admins, having mutual friends and both being sat in the bloody thing on the way to the bank and back, you cant be too careful :(

Hi Ekona,

See below:

1) eBay classified ad. Few short sentences stating quality etc. low miles, FSH...ETC.

2) Rebbeca Brennan82 on eBay as it was her classified. emailed her x2.

3) advert disappeared and heard nothing.

4) then had text a few days latter stating car still for sale and to email her ... Charwat45@gmail.com

5) replied to that and had the now famous reply about she was in Italy and the car was at Harvey's Auto Transport in Scotland. They would deal with the sale and to email them.

6) emailed them. They invoiced me for the money stating that only bank transfer. So I called my bank and they confirmed that we were covered. ( but money was moved from another bank but now told NO bank covers transfers so have raised a complaint via my bank).

7) was a bit apprehensive but as the bank said was covered thought nothing to loose......so moved money.

8) had confirmation and told to wait 3 days before delivery... Even had live chat with someone via Harvey's site...

9) did ask if I could collect but surprise a no.

10) and the rest is history.. Car didn't arrive....

Their bank details... 77/66/68. 00522560. Mr B Budeanu. TSB account.

Hope that ok..?

If there has been a bank transaction and its been sent to a bank account then would have thought the Police have something to go on - Mr Budeanu must have given forms of ID and the should be a financial footprint on where the money has gone. I would think there is certainly enough evidence to get a temporary freeze on that that account ? Have you contacted TSB to report this and your intentions to involve the Police and you believe their bank is being used for criminal activity ? Banks would normally react to this ?

100% scam. Anything that starts with "I'm in another country but XYZ is going to handle the sale for me" is a classic sign telling you to walk away.

Sorry pal, but it looks like that cash has long gone. :(

What was the website address?