TopGear

Jetpilot

ewww.

so news is merc is going down in cc in their performance flagship.

bmw is going down in cc in their performance flagship.

ahhhhh what a relief none of that from the australians, americans and japanese in the hsv gts, hellcat and ninja h2.

Thought the Peugeot bit started off well with their history but the rest was just boring & pointless IMO. Like the episode overall. Did anyone else notice the corvette was a manual but had flappy paddles behind the wheel, what they for?

• Like 1

Thought the Peugeot bit started off well with their history but the rest was just boring & pointless IMO. Like the episode overall. Did anyone else notice the corvette was a manual but had flappy paddles behind the wheel, what they for?

1 of two ideas:

1. Two press cars were used... one Auto and one Spanish... for different shots?

or...

2. Americans are mentaI.

I assume this is referring to the three new hypercars potentially going round Dunsfold?

I wouldn't be too sure on the P1 beating the 918 round there, as it's not a high speed track and there's a lot of slower corners which would favour 4WD over downforce. On a proper track like a Silverstone or a Monza the 918 wouldn't see which way the P1 went though.

You assume correctly, Dan.

And you're right, Porsche are up for it because they know the track favours them. McLaren were dubious at first because the P1 was designed (in part) on that track so they know the track favours the 4WD of the 918. Ferrari are only up for it if they can "adjust" the car to suit the track as much as possible and McLaren are only up for it if Ferrari can't "adjust" the car. McLaren and Ferrari know it's going be a shoot-out between those two on that track and they both want to sway things in their favour as much as possible whilst Porsche are sitting on the sidelines looking smug. As Dan says though, a different track would be a different story - I even suspect that Porsche wouldn't be as accommodating if they didn't have that advantage.

Personally, I agree with McLaren that they should be production cars... unless Ferrari are going to set their cars up for each and every single one of it's customers and the roads they'll be driving on individually of course.

As for Ferrari issuing a that threat of blacklisting anyone who lends their LaF, if I were in a position to I'd actually take that as a challenge rather than a warning. If I've spent a million pounds on a car, I'll do what I damn well please with it! :rant: If they then don't want to large sums of my money in exchange for their cars in future then... meh, I wouldn't want to give them any more of my money anyway. Either that or I'd offer Ferrari the chance to pay me to let them decide what I do with my property. They take liberties with the FXX arrangement (IMO), but at least that's made clear before purchase.

Although that could all be posturing seeing as I'll never be in that position. :lol:

Trouble is, if you were lucky enough to be allowed to buy an FLF then you're probably going to want to be able to buy the next hypercar in 2025, as well as the first 488, and the new FF, and the new F12, and then the 488S, and so on and so forth. That's a lot of awesome car to miss out on just so you can get 15mins on TG. Personally, if it were me, I'd probably do the exact same thing.

McLaren are just being pussies though. I say let Ferrari turn up with the gear (like they do for every single car launch ever), then let McLaren match it with all their super clever experts, and then just watch Porsche turn up and throw you the keys.

I know I'm biased, but I really can't see Porsche ever turning down a fair fight. If the 918 was slower at Silverstone as I suspect, they'd simply point out that they have the only hypercar that can travel on electric power only, or is 4WD for use in the snow, and anything else the PR department can come back with. Hell, they might even just point out the number of trophies in the cabinet, which is greater than both the other two. I just don't see them being as picky or precious: They just get determined. Look at how hard they chased the GT-R with the GT2RS and the new 991 cars after the Nissan p*ssed all over their Ring time! :lol:

Just to fill you in Ekona, apparently TG have been contacted by a Mr BinLaden (cousin of Osama) who owns all three, 918, LaF and P1.

Ferrari have said if anyone who lends their LaF to TG they will be banned from buying any ltd edition Ferrari in the future.

So in the instance of Mr BinLaden, what is stopping him, hiring a race track, hiring a driving, inviting TG to film and putting all 3 round? Surely Ferrari cant blacklist him for taking his car on track, just because the other two are there is immaterial, there is no contract to say otherwise and if the cars run with no plates, who will know whos cars they are :)

Regardless of manufacturers posturing imho, i reckon all 3 would be within tenths of each other round the TG track, its just they want a timed advantage, i.e a few seconds difference.

Edited by Jetpilot

Ferrari have done this for a while now, nothing new sadly. An owner can do what they want with the car, just as Ferrari can choose not to sell anything else to him once they find out.

A quick tug of the car's ECU will soon reveal where it's been and how it's been used, come service time.

Dan, I get what you're saying and I don't disagree as such, I can't see Porsche turning down a fair fight either, I just don't think they'd be quite as nonchalant as they are being here if the track significantly favoured one of the other two - by which I mean they might be the ones asking to be able to set up the car but I doubt a "no" to that request would result in the toys being thrown as per Ferrari. Obviously this is all conjecture on my part though. :lol:

I have no doubt the marketing departments of any of the three could fairly easily brush off a third place lap time anyway. So to me it seems like McLaren are being a bit childish by refusing unless it's on their terms but Ferrari are being the pussies by, apparently, having no confidence in the cars they've handed the keys over for. You're right though, the McLaren boffins could just as easily (he says, because it's that simple :lol: ) match the Ferrari's set up and go like-for-like, albeit in a pointless "you'll never be able to replicate this" way... that all press road tests are conducted in anyway.

• Like 1