Dan's 645Ci thread

Ekona

I finally got tired of not having a car, and since the house move is finalised and I knew my budget I could wait no longer. I wanted something fun, something quick but not ballistic, and something that would keep my attention for more than 5 mins. It had to have more than 4 cylinders, it had to be RWD, and it had to be FR. It also had to be comfy, as well as practical, but not dull. I definitely didn't want dull.

So what did I buy?

Well, it has one of these:

engine.jpg

And one of these:

badge.jpg

But most importantly, it has one of these:

knob.jpg

Rare as hen's teeth, but I managed to find a 645Ci just round the corner from me with a manual 'box! :D

front.jpg

rear.jpg

Sadly, it is in Resale Silver which is a colour I cannot stand. However, in the context of this car I don't mind it too much, as the rest of the package makes up for it nearly. 4.4L V8, 330bhp, 330ft/lb, 1700kg. Very basic spec which I actually prefer as it has less to go wrong, but still auto lights, wipers, cruise etc. Stereo is decent, interior looks hardly used even though the car is on 99K miles, and the bodywork in very good nick. Wheels aren't exactly an attractive shape but then no 6er wheels are apart from the M6 ones, and I've had them refurbed too.

It's got plenty of shove, and while I reckon that 0-60 would be slightly slower than a 350Z, once you're over 50mph it'll out pull one to silly speeds. It's quiet inside with just a woofle of the vee-eight, which will be getting changed in the next few weeks or so for something MUCH louder. The 'box is accurate and nicely weighted, if a little long in the throw but I've a shorter gearknob on order to rectify that. The chassis feels just as exploitable as the M6 I drove last year, and whilst the suspension is a little soft (again, something to be sorted out shortly) it rides so very well that it gives you total confidence in the car.

Currently I reckon I'm on course to get 400 miles out of a 70L tank, which gives me the range I wanted too. All in, I'm really happy with it and am looking forward to some longer road trips with the car this year.

And yes, I came very close to getting a 350Z again instead, as in I'd pretty much picked which exact car I was going to buy if I didn't like the 645, but ultimately I drove this and felt that it was something different that I hadn't experienced yet. Won't be everyone's cup of tea, but it does feel very nice to heel and toe in a proper V8 barge I have to say. :cloud9:

Oh, and the first mod has been done already:

tyre.jpg

Well, did you really expect anything else?! :lol:

Edited by Ekona
  • Like 18

Very nice Dan, think you made the right choice going for this and not the bmw estate. I wanted one of these when i was looking at the 350z but my budget at that time wasnt getting me very much!!!

Hope there is mpss all round and not just one wheel :lol:

• Like 1

Had a little check to see the stats in auto trader, currently 0 manual 645ci that arent soft tops. Manual is same 0 to 60 as auto which is quoted at 5.6. Big car big shove!

I was tempted by a soft top version, but the weight penalty and added complexity of stuff to go wrong put me off a tad.

And yeah, it does pull very nicely :teeth:

• Like 1

Like a budgie? ;)

Only about 50kg heavier than my old Zed scarily, so very similar performance. But yeah, it was cheap. As in less than £7k...

Definitely needs a good scrub though after today! :lol:

Nice buy for that price, they are bullet proof, and look good. :thumbs:

• Like 1

any plans to wring some serious performance from it?

Not really, these engines don't respond hugely well to much tuning short of a supercharger kit (£7K, and yes I've already looked!). With breathing mods and a remap you might get an extra 40bhp, but that's about your lot.

I think I'll do exhaust for some noise, springs for some stiffness, Dension for some iPod, and then maybe ARBs as well. It has the comfort seats in, so I may swap them for the sport seats (adds lumbar control) if I can find a set at the right price. Really the modding budget is going on the MR2 though, I want to try and keep this vaguely normal.

Hey wee bro :teeth:

Beautiful machine. Wheels are a bit ugly as you mentioned, but I'm sure you can find some M6 ones on eBay for decent money if you wanted.

Any pictures of the inside? They're pretty much identical to the M6 inside if I remember correctly.

My mate picked one of these up last year and they're really nice pieces of kit, obviously V8 anything is awesome, though he professes to like the muted exhaust :scare: . Just needs a subtle boot spoiler to eliminate that "interesting" flat boot. Great choice, enjoy.

PS - good to see proper mod being done first ;)