Dan's 645Ci thread

Ekona

Things I learnt yesterday:

A 645Ci makes a pretty rubbish track car.

A 645Ci can keep up with a stripped and 888-shod RX8 on track if you really, really, really pedal the thing.

When all else fails, drifting a 645Ci is bloody hysterical.

:D

i wanna see full lock and two smoking tyres

Boo to me, camera didn't get all the fun stuff :(

However, it did get this little bit, which is me chasing down a mate in his 231 RX8. His car is stripped and on 888s with Yellowstuff pads, and the driver knows Anglesey as well as me. So I'm at least 500kg heavier, on MPSS with OEM brakes but do have about 100bhp more...

:D

I had to work really, really hard to keep up with him, which is no mean feat on a track that is completely unsuited for big barges. I was practically sweating by the time I left the car afterwards, serious workout! Great fun though, and it's surprising how quick the BMW can be hustled. I was pulling about 115mph down the back straight before lifting for the run up to the Rocket complex, and I reckon if I'd had decent brakes and a willingness to kill them I could've eked another 5mph out of that.

Apparently there were quite a few people wondering what the hell someone was doing tracking a 6 series, according to sources ear wigging on the pitwall :lol:

• Like 4

at the moment, nothing... but our preferred set up is standard discs (i worry drilled or slotted discs will crack when hot), EBC yellowstuff pads and ATE Superblue racing fluid. In the 330ci the braking was consistent and immensely strong - probably helped by the fact the standard 330ci discs are 325mm in diameter!

• 1 month later...

Breconrunweb.jpg

Not a bad line up of cars, that. Taken yesterday during an epic 6 hour blat over the Brecons, before the Morgan PHSS today. Suffice to say, much fun was had by all.

The route I made was cobbled together from three routes I found online, and was about 200 miles (!) long. I led the convoy, with the Gallardo and M3 swapping places behind me at various points. The Gallardo is a new purchase, indeed Mark's not even had it a month yet, and is an early Spyder with a very rare manual 'box: So far we believe one of just 300 cars. The E46 is an SMG car, and Aaron has had that for a good couple of years now. I've driven the M3 on track once, and the Lambo around a car park as the owner is still understandably precious about it.

Aside from a mess of road works around Merthyr Tydfil and the awfulness that is the A4069 which is now all 40mph, the ultimate tragedy, we were mostly fortunate with the traffic. Sure, there were plenty of overtakes but also plenty of opportunities, and with none of the cars lacking for straight line pace other vehicles could be picked off with ease. Sadly there were still a couple of idiotic folks the English side of the border who did a solid 45mph in a clear NSL for miles, without any real overtaking places and without any thought that they could have briefly stopped for 10 secs to let us past. Really superheated my urine, that one.

But oh yes, the cars. Or rather, just my car as I didn't get to sample the other two on the roads. It's really, really good fun! I mean, I know that should be fairly obvious with a 333bhp V8 and a gearstick, but it's still a BIG car with a fair amount of weight there, but it's a wonderful chassis and you can really get it working well on the roads we were on. I had no trouble keeping Mark and Aaron behind, and managed to drop the Gallardo by a sizeable chunk when I decided to really get on it. That was fairly satisfying, especially given the weight and power penalty I was carrying in comparison, but obviously I know which car I'd rather have on my driveway ;)

The brakes are nicely bedded in now, and without fear of killing them I was able to use them to my advantage. The pedal is firm, not overly servoed and with good pressure and feel from it, so you have the confidence to really lean on them when you need to. The steering has to be in Sport mode though, else it's just too light and gives little feedback, but as long as that button is pushed then it's very easy to place the nose. The reasonably aggressive geo I had done t'other week did wonders for front end turn it, although you do have to be patient with it as there's a big ol' lump hanging there and a very long nose; Fortunately I'm used to that from the 911 days, so I adjusted very quickly.

The suspension is a bit of a let down, sadly. For what the car is (big GT bruiser) and the age (11years ad 101K miles) it's very good, absorbing the blows and bumps as you'd want, but when really pushing on it's just too wallowy for my taste. There were times where I was actively fighting the car and the the traction control in either mode when trying to get the power down, and even switching the TCS off didn't help. I think I need to invest in some adjustable dampers and springs sooner rather than later, probably the BC series as they've been imperious in my MR2. Granted, I don't tend to drive the car on roads like this too often, but if I'm to really bond with this car then I'm going to need more control.

I'd also like to try some 888s on it, however the general consensus from my companions was that that would be ridiculously unfair and that they'd spend forever trying to keep up with me if I did that! :lol: Whilst their p*ss-taking is both flattering and funny, I never take it as a sign that I'm a driving god or anything. Rather, I've always seen it as a compliment towards the car, as a really good one will flatter any driver and allow them to make the most out of the machinery they have available. The 645 is certainly a car that inspires confidence, rather than fear.

I'll be honest and say that I've wondered in recent days whether I made a poor decision in the BMW, what with Boxsters & Zeds & S2Ks etc all available for the same price and offering me much more of the sportier drive I'm used to, and that was compounded on Saturday morning with the gorgeous weather allowing the other guys to drop their roofs and enjoy the sun. After the 200 miles were complete however, I've discovered that there's something perversely unique about driving a sports barge to 8/10ths and working yourself as hard as the car, and it's an experience I'm growing to love. I look forward to the summer and many more drives like this, and learning to bond with the counterpoint of a dull silver BMW & a rev-happy V8 matched to a slick gearshift.

There were times where I was actively fighting the car and the the traction control in either mode when trying to get the power down, and even switching the TCS off didn't help. I think I need to invest in some adjustable dampers and springs sooner rather than later, probably the BC series as they've been imperious in my MR2. Granted, I don't tend to drive the car on roads like this too often, but if I'm to really bond with this car then I'm going to need more control.

Great lot of cars, shame about the roads/traffic :(

This is why I had a Quaife LSD fitted in the 335i after about 2 weeks of ownership.

Birds BMW down near Heathrow will sort you out. Takes a day to fit (£2k in total), but they'll let you have a go in their modded monster 335i....However for the sake of your wallet I would advise NOT to even look at the modding options on your BMW :)

Have you booked your Tesla test drive yet?

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 1

Not yet, Saturday is looking a trifle busy now so may not happen this week. :(

£2K is a lot of money on an upgrade, so I'm not sure I want to go there just yet. Maybe a few more months down the line.

£2K is a lot of money on an upgrade, so I'm not sure I want to go there just yet. Maybe a few more months down the line.

Just checked on their website, the Quaife LSD on your 645i is only £1500 including VAT....That's already a £500 'saving' :lol:

• 1 month later...

Bought a spare key today. Just a valet one as I only need it for emergencies, but I was somewhat surprised when it turned up as a single piece of solid... Plastic?

Yup, spare keys of that era are now made of grey plastic. They still have a small transponder in so do indeed start the car (but not turn off the alarm, sorry neighbours :blush: ), but not exactly what I expected. Still, only £40 instead of £140 for the full remote doobry.

A set of ARBs shall likely be on the car shortly after I return from LM, I feel the need to start tinkering :teeth:

• 1 month later...

No matter how awkward you might think changing spark plugs are on any given car, I can almost promise you they're harder on a 645. Fusking stupid thing.

Oh yeah, you can do it without dropping the engine, but you need to push the aircon pipes down waaay past the point of comfort on one bank, and remove the positive battery cables on the other. You then need tiny Pygmy hands to get to pull the coil packs off, and half a dozen wobble joints to get to the plugs themselves for removal. Oh sweet Jesus I'm never doing that again! :lol:

Not even my car either, the guy who had the blue E46 M3 on the Wales run flogged that and bought an early 645 cab, with the manual 'box as well of course. His has the fancy adaptive ARB things, and they're really good so I've made up my mind to change mine ASAP now.

• Like 2