Hi, long intro (honestly, very long) + some questions :)

Well first of all, a big hello. I've been lurking on here for months, a few weeks back I bought an 06 Gunmetal Grey (I think that's what it's called?) GT with 70k on the clock.

It's taken me a while to find one, a few months back I drove done to London to see one, ended up looking at another they had for sale which wasn't in the best nick but I still would have bought it had they moved on price which they didn't. Not to worry.

Then about 4 weeks back, I saw one on autotrader, the first line of the advert was "must be driven to appreciate how immaculate the engine is" or something very similar to that. So I set off on the 3 hour each-way journey, cash in hand ready to buy. The guy said the bodywork was immaculate but the rays need a refurb, I'd be happy with that. So upon arrival, the very first thing I see is some of the most battered alloys I've seen, they were absolutely atrocious. But again, a wheel refurb for 4 wheels isn't silly money so that's fine. Then I noticed the front and rear bumpers had been resprayed, the colour mismatch and the insane orange-peel made it obvious, I asked the guy why they had been done and he was adamant they hadn't been. Then the interior, I had been told on the phone it had slightly faded and a good clean would have them looking good, he didn't mention that Edward Scissorhands used to own it, they were ripped, badly, badly ripped.

However, these are all cosmetics, I can live with these things just about if it drives like a dream. Well, it pulled massively to the left, violently, every time I let go of the steering wheel, it was instant. I asked the guy about it, he responded with "I never noticed it, I guess I don't drive with my hands off the wheel". He also assured me that it had 4 new tyres and had been aligned and balanced a matter of weeks back. Alarm bells were ringing. I asked him whether he used super unleaded petrol and he said no and that it was a waste of money. At that stage I knew it was time to head home.

Next I see one for sale up near Manchester, a garage this time, again about 3 hours each way but I don't mind travelling for the right car. Upon arrival, the condition was pretty good, better than expected for the age and mileage, apart from one rather large stone chip that I need to attend to. My main issue was the guys selling it, they clearly knew nothing of the car and just kept lying to me. I don't expect them to know everything about every car they sell but when I heard "put you foot down, and wait till the turbo kicks in.." I thought oh here we go. I was also told it had 350bhp hence the name 350Z. On top of that, you know the heated seat button? well apparently if you switch them one way, they heat up, and if you switch them the other way, they are air conditioned and cool you down. Honestly this guy knew nothing, he was just blagging his way through the whole thing, I was really frustrating.

I consulted with a mate and he reminded me that I'm buying the car and not the person and that I'd never see this guy again, so I made and offer, stood strong and managed to get £300 off the asking price which wasn't great but I was happy the car was worth it and a deal was made. I'm one happy chappy, these cars are fantastic.

I do have a few questions having owned it a few weeks and didn't want to start a thread for each one,

- Firstly, the clutch, I know these are prone to go around the 70k mark which is where I'm at. It's not slipping currently, however the actual clutch pedal seems to have some slight resistance about half way down and a squeak when nearing full depression. Any ideas? I am planning to do the clutch pedal re-adjust that's posted in the guides here.

- I like the planted feeling when pushing it however I feel the first bit of turn in isn't quite sharp enough, do people recommend a fast road set up for these cars or does it make them handle like crap in other areas like motorway driving etc?

- How the heck do I decide where to start with mods?! My list is massive, do I do styling, exhaust, interior, sound system, performance ...I genuinely have far too many mods I want, Zeditis is real, very real :D

I'm sure I've got more questions but that's enough for one post :)

Eddy

P.S. I know people will ask for pics, I'm at work at the mo, will post one up when I'm home, it's just an average grey GT....for the moment anyway :p

:welcome: along. Excellent intro BTW.

Pop some white lithium grease on the clutch pedal spring, it should stop the squeak and maybe even help with depression (that's a brilliant pun if I do say so myself).

Generally handling and stopping mods first is the rule I've read on the internet, but I went straight for the BOSE as it's the cars' Achilles Heel IMO. The list of mods is endless so just work through what needs replacing first and then whatever you fancy after that!

• Like 1

:welcome:

Clutches on the Zed don't have a "use by date" which this claim of 70k miles has floated around on the web for some time.

I'm on 109k miles and my clutch is as good as it was the day she was born. It's all down to who's driven it. If it fails, or starts to slip, get it changed. Don't change it if it's not broken.

Enjoy Zeditus! :thumbs:

Welcome

First thing would be a decent service without evidence of FSH I always presume it all need doing so a P3 as a minimum. Mods will depend on what you want to do and how much you can afford. Nice cheap ones are to change the stock bulbs for LED's, get a rear divider. Or you could go HFC/Pop charger/Plenum spacer/Uprev @ Abbey. Hydro dipping interior parts also fairly cheap and you get a great effect

• Like 1

That made me laugh and also made me realise how stunning my car is for it's age! I wish I had air con in the seats for those hot back side days! Great intro! My cars done 78k all by me. Still on the original clutch. Just get a service look after it and enjoy it. I'm still smiling after 7 and a half years!

first mod is always a stubby. Honda Rdx aerial from a few traders on here.

Once that's done, its up to you?!? probably best by deciding what you want in a car - do you want it to go faster, handle better, sit lower to the ground, but more comfortable to cruise in or what? also how much money have you got to spend?

Hello and welcome 👋

I've got mine nearly 4 months now, first mod was a 'zed' tyre valve cap. Then a stubby antenna.... Then swapped all interior bulbs with LED and rear number plate bulbs to LED as well. Then very recently wheel spacers at all corner.

Plenty more on the mod list (Zeditus) but I'm saving up for a house now so luckily Zeditus is currently under control.

Good luck with Zeditus!

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

As for a big service, I'm already on it, I've been speaking to the Zed Shed boys and am planning a huge service very soon :)

I've already sprayed a few bits under the bonnet and got a blinged bonnet catch, I'm planning to have a really nice engine bay.

I want more sound without spending silly money. Is a cobra resonated a decent upgrade on the standard system ?

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

As for a big service, I'm already on it, I've been speaking to the Zed Shed boys and am planning a huge service very soon :)

I've already sprayed a few bits under the bonnet and got a blinged bonnet catch, I'm planning to have a really nice engine bay.

I want more sound without spending silly money. Is a cobra resonated a decent upgrade on the standard system ?

Welcome Ed.

It's all personal taste tbh but yes Cobra is a decent upgrade over the standard system, ...whether it will give you the sound you want I can't answer that.

If you're in no rush it's best to listen to a few different exhaust systems in person if you can so you can decide what you like best. Local meets or shows are a great place to do this. :thumbs:

Hi Ed,

Welcome to the forum. I bought my second zed this week after a couple of years without and I know your feelings about making yours "better".

I write very little but have been reading forum posts for over 4 years which is where you will find out how to do all the things you want to do but without the teething problems. Good luck with your project and I will hope to read about your progress in the near future.