Cheap, reliable 5 door - any suggestions?

14N

My friend’s asked me to help him find a new car with some suggestions as I’m “into my cars†apparently.

However his requirements for a motor (cheap 5 door) aren’t really my specialty! :lol: Now, if he wanted a V6 sports coupe, obviously I’d tell him to get an Audi TT. :stir::p

So, here’s his checklist.

Not French

5 doors

Reliable

Cheap to run

Economical (ish).

He’s had a Golf before and liked it, but anything from VAG would be suitable.

Budget £3-£4k

Any suggestions?

We had a C4 as a company car and it seemed OK. Was certainly economical. You'd probably get more for your 3-4k too as they aren't as popular as VW / Honda / Mazda / Ford...

Although, I'd go with a Focus... we replaced the C4 with one and it was pretty much faultless for the 2 years we owned it.

Edit: God I hate IE!!!!!!

Edited by Paddy78

BMW are not reliable lol Dunno bout the newer ones but even round about 2007 odds the electrical bugs 'can be' horrendous. My mates 318d M had doors locking shut, systems, esp failures and all sort of lights going off. Ridiculous lol. Mercs I'm not sure, I've not heard termendously good things about them lol

Id be looking at something like a 5 door TDI Golf if he wants VAG. Ive had 2 mk5`s and a mk4. I did 110,000 miles in my mk4, selling it when it finally reached 192k on the clock and it still ran like new. I used to get 65mpg out of it on a daily basis.

However, im not sure why he is dismissing French cars. After I sold my Golf, my wife ran a Peugeot 307HDI and over the 18 months we had it, it was by far easily the cheapest car we have ever owned for running costs. I was getting 57mpg out of it on my daily commute, the boot was miles bigger than the golf and the only things I had to do on it was new brake pads (£25 in total for complete front & back sets!), new top mounts (£20) and one suspension spring which broke (£25). The only thing I didnt like with the 307 was the interior did feel a bit more plasticy than the Golf but it was massive inside, like a tardis so ideal for familys.